Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

wow man, this car is coming together nice

2. draider

draider
    from Texas

Love the headlights Nate.

Your posts are very inspiring, keep up the good work.

3. Interesting and very tastefull treatment on the headlights Nate.

4. telekenfun

telekenfun

Nate, Thanks again for posting your progress. Having gone through this stage of your reconstruction, you have my complete sympathy. But don't get discouraged. Your comments indicated you are on the right track to level it up. Now get a laser level that you can switch to vertical and sight it on your grill center, it will provide a great reference. Getting the frontend straight now will make the customizing that much easier.I hope you will appreciate my comments and suggested solutions to your alignment issues. I know an extra set of eyes helped me innumerable times on mine. Your pictures in post 232 show the different hoods. Is it an optical illusion that the rust colored one has a thicker, fatter, maybe blunter nose than the gray ones sleeker and more pointed nose? I believe they stamped parts in several different plants and many had differences. Also in 232 the frontal views show the same vertical twist to the grill that I fought on mine. It appears the bottom of the grill is being pushed to passenger side. It may be caused by the bottom of the driver side fender being farther forward than the same point on the passenger side fender resulting in a plan view (looking down from above) clockwise twist to the lower grill. Or it could be that the passenger fender is too far back at the bottom. It took a portapower and a come-along to equalize my fender/outer grill panel joints. The cowl to radiator bracing rods also need to be in place and adjusted to get the top of the grill in alignment with the hood nose as well as the lower radiator mounting pads. Are you using the springs under the lower radiator pads? These also have a great deal of effect on the left/right alignment of the grill's top orientation. You may have figured most of this out for yourself but perhaps there's someone out there that can benefit from those comments.
    One of my favorite details of 36 Fords is they are the last of stand alone teardrop headlight cars. I like that design detail. Teardrops. I'm so glad to see You, Kenneth and Kipp are staying with that style. I'm always disappointed when I see a 36 with chevy truck buckets or Lexus or VW lights molded in to the fenders. Why didn't they just start with a 37? Your treatment of your buckets is an elegant means of carrying over the subtle fender reveal. Are you planning on saving the rear fender reveals as well? That line gets lost in the course of refurbishment of many rear fenders. I also lowered my headlights which I'm glad to see on your car as well. I think it strengthens the grill to fender relationship. I'm curious as to how you effected the inward move your buckets as well as the what you did to lower them. I actually took a 1&3/8 section from the pedestal and matched the fender sheet metal to that as well as recessing the post up into the bucket. That left about a 1/4" between the bucket and the fender.
    Keep up the great work and please keep us posted. Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors. Kb aka telekenfun

5. Nice job on the headlights Nate. Very subtle mod.

6. Thanks for all the front end tech and pictures. Looking real good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

been a while since any updates. worked on the doors a little bit. i got a nice door, but the hinge was way off, and soft. a common problem. the steel splits around the bottom hinge, heres my solution. first, i hammered out any dents, and tweeked the area around the hinge and welded up some cracks ,then i peeled off the skin by the hinge
    [​IMG]
    after i did that i had access with a very tiny pick dolly and bumped out the damage on the skin around the hinge and welded any cracks.
    [​IMG]
    once that was done i made a t-shaped stiffener that fits inside the door channel, and a new inside edge to get the channel properly secured to the inner door. welded both of those in and reskinned it. now its solid as a rock!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

the door fit horribly before, it rubbed, barely fit between the hinges, gaps were asymmetrical. after these mods no more rubbing, and i will not have to heat the hinge on the car to fit the door. i'm going to do the other door .although it does'nt really need it, the hinge is way stiffer on this one. the bad news? now i'm not happy with the cowl patch i did! i lined it up to a door with a soft hinge.:eek: fun fun fun!

9. Loving it! I will be on your side of the mountains for the next few days. Would like to stop in if in the cards. jr

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

CALL ME! i'll make time.

11. Nice jobb on the hinges Nate.Planning to make some stiffener on mine aswell but I´m gonna cut out the inside of the doors to get access to the outer skinn with hammer n dolly and at the same time reinforce the hinges.

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i've been going but doing visually boring things. i did a crude photochop. 1st is the pic i started with. 2nd needs hubcaps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. I LIKE THE MILD CHOP ON THE RED ONE. Oops no caps intended.

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks whippet! the chop ive been mulling over for awhile. thats with the roof chopped about 2" from the driprails down, and the center crown of roof only lowered 1" ,and the rear roof scooted forward a bit. i like a little more crown in chopped 5 window roofs than i usually see.

15. Theres a guy in Prt Orchard that said that the chop on a 36 was one of the easiest he had done. He told me he'd guide me through it but then went totally political and religious on the extreme. So I figured Id find someone else. This guy did do amazing work but I could not stand all the emails of BS that he sent. He did a 2 1/2" chop on this $125,000 car that looked the best I'd seen. He never chopped the back window and I believe he cut the front and then just scooted the roof forward. It was just enough to make the car look a bit more bad ass.

16. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

today i worked on my shrinker stand ,and did a few things to the seat. my floors are not stepped like stock,so i used these tracks from what i was told was a 37 ford. some new mounts and shorten the crosspiece, nice mellow job. sorry things are pretty boring over here. lots of weld finishing and tedious little things.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. The sooner the boring tedious things are done the sooner the fun things can begin. The day my floor was done was a very happy day because the chop was next on the list. Looking great. waiting to see your spin on the chop. Keep it up.

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

still here. i have not had much time lately, ive been on a tool acquiring mission. the work i have done is preparing the whole cowl area, doors and b pillars to finally set and align door and cowl shim adjustment. theres a lot of small tedious work in that. looking forward to a stable body so i can finish out the patch panels from the b pillars back.

19. The little things may be boring and tedious, but its all part of the process for good fit &
    finish. Hats off for your capabilities!

Stay the course!

20. carbuilder

carbuilder

Nate looking good keep the progress flowing, I need to find time to get back on my roadster.

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

finally getting somewhere. got the hinges all sorted on the drivers side, and the quarter panel almost zipped up.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  22. telekenfun

telekenfun

Nate, Good to see you back on it. It's been about a month since you've posted. But you have obviously been working on her. The job you had to do on your hinges had to be tough. I'm glad to see they worked out nicely. Your belt line alignment looks to be on the money. Tell us about your hinge pin fits, have you installed fresh pins, and if so are they standard or oversized? I am facing that issue right now, some are old, some are new, but I need to find a reamer and fit all mine with oversized pins to insure a lasting alignment. Who has a clue of where to get that reamer.
    I'm curious about the sharpie lines along your cowl and "A" pillar as well. What have you got going on there? Also, are you going with the original door latch mechanism or a modern bearclaw setup? Your work is continually impressive.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

23. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks.The sharpie lines were to square the old doors. Had them on the quarter too but I replaced it. this job was tough. Doing the same things over and over with very tiny variations. My hinge holes are good. I got 2 sets of hinge pins from bob drake. 1 set I ground the spines off in the lathe, these are for mock up, and 1 final set.

24. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Nate I love what you've done so far. I can't see the last photo it might be me.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I cant see it either,it flashes and then disappears.Maybe its because your photobucket or what ever you use settings?

26. Me three on the disappearing picture

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Yeah this sucks. I hate my photobucket. I have the premium and it still is super buggy, ill try to load it again. I can't see it on my phone but I can on desktop. Lame.

28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

still just lots of small hours in the a pillars and hinges. my front sheetmetal mockup last time was terrible. the hood rods did not even fit, even though the cowl was properly placed. now that i've got the cowl shimmed properly and redid some of the bracing it is squaring up nicely. hood rods are totally symmetrical, and the full radius of the cowl is within under a 16th. here's my friend after a good day doing a lot that looks like not a lot!
    [​IMG]

29. tbauer

tbauer

Hey Nate ! Looking good. My doors and hinges are needing the same kind of love. Thanks for showing the way.

30. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Love the thread as always. Just read through it for about the fifth time. If you don't mind what gauge metal did you use for the subrails? I hope it's not in there.