Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods On road trip 37 ford...lost headlights...know problem is high beam switch...please advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thekid1950, Sep 15, 2016.

1. thekid1950

thekid1950

Just checked into my hotel.....all was ok until I went to park my car. I have no headlights.
    When I reach down & wiggle the high beam switch, I get lights. As soon as I let go of it, I lose the lights. The switch is warm to the touch. I think I need a new switch.

I will check it out when I get daylight.

Does the high beam switch remove from under the car......or pull back carpet & remove from inside? I'm assuming I can get a new switch from NAPA.

Thanks in advance

2. adam401

adam401

The ones I have experience with all mount to the interior side of the floor

3. Might just be a loose connection. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Just pull into a Ford dealer and tell them to fix it.

5. Davyj

Davyj

could be just a loose plug................, but if it is an old switch, they are cheap and easy to replace..............................

6. F&J

F&J

What? ,,, gee wiz, I don't want you as my crew chief when we cross the Sahara Desert :) lol

If you have a screwdriver and nobody has a new dimmer switch, just unscrew the input wire from H/L switch and put it on the low beam terminal(at the dimmer switch). You will have lows to get you home

Or take the switch out, and most switches will come apart for cleaning the contacts

/

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The dimmer switch on my 37 Chevy mounts from under the floor, but the screws are inside, under the carpet.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not funny when your on the road broke down.

37 fords do not have a floor high beam switch.
    The switch is at the end of your steering column operated by the manual switch at the horn area.

Your response confuses me. Has there been newer switch installed on your ford? If that's the case just buy a replacement. You mentioned heat.
    That would suggest either a bad connection or bad switch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. Be sure to let us know when you get up this morning if you have the issue resolved or not and where you are located. Someone may be close by that could lend a hand or a new switch.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  10. the original switch is at the end of th column in the engine compartment, the repro suck and probably came out of alignment, the clip fell off or are shorting against the case. if it has been changed to a dash switch, check the conections. if it has a floor mounted dimmer switch try stepping on it multiple times, sometimes it will clean the contacts and it will work again.

lothiandon1940 and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hurry up and sleep fast, I want more info on this! Please consider F&J's input, that's what I'd do.
    But let us know anyway, will ya? Guess I'll turn in, too...
    'Night...'

12. thekid1950

thekid1950

Found its a delco switch.....defective....replaced with new.....all is ok....

In Wilkes-Barre, pa...going to Richmond, va with my son....
    37 ford sedan delivery, built in 81.....I've owned since 87....

flatheadpete, Tim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. thekid1950

thekid1950

THANK YOU all for your help & ideas.
    Was really concerned last night....

14. Glad it worked out. Are you taking the Rt.301 corridor to Richmond or I-95? Just curious. I'm just off of Rt. 301 in So.Md. if you run into any further issues. Rt.301 is far more relaxing than the craziness of Rt.95 if you weren't aware of that. I made 4 trips down and back to Richmond this Spring and early Summer and I stay off of 95 as much as possible.

15. GTS225

GTS225

Actually, there is loads of humor here. Can you imagine pulling into a modern Ford dealer, and just watching the "techs" try to fix a headlight switch on a '37 Ford? It would be hilarious, if it wasn't so sad.

Roger

16. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take 301. Nice ride versus nut job I-95 people!

17. Keep us in the loop with your progress. What's the journey to Richmond all about? Sorry if I'm being too personal. Take some pictures along the way if possible. Safe travels.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I work in parts at a Chevy dealer....How many times have I had to fix old stuff? HAHA! Got paid to rebuild the carb on the dealer tractor ('64 IH with a loader). Done a bunch of sidework for these guys....

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

New guys freak out at points.
    I had a "tech" call me as a guide and reference.
    He called one day and was a wreck. It was a 68 Chrysler Newport. 383 with dual points.
    "There's TWO of them sombitches in there".
    Glad you got it squared away. There's always hardwire if all else fails.

F&J likes this.
  20. Hopefully you are safe and sound and in Richmond by now.:)

lothianwilly71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. thekid1950

thekid1950

We're in Richmond for the National Nash meet.
    I like all cars but especially the orphans.
    I love the bathtub Nashes.

Thanks again for your help & support..

We stayed off 95 as much as possible.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In my experience, if you cant laugh when shit like this happens, you aren't going to enjoy working on old cars much...:D

lothiandon1940 and 57 Fargo like this.