Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile engine, 324 cu. in. rod bearings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bubbashead, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

I ordered a rebuild kit from Old Car Parts for my 1956 Olds engine. I am happy with the kit, but when I got to the rod bearings they were different. (see picture) Basically if you hold the bearing with the tab away form you, mine have a tab on the right. The replacements have a tab on the left. I assumed that someone had just tossed in the wrong box of bearings. So I called Chris at OCP and told him the part number on the box. He checked and said that was the right part# for that engine. He asked for some engine numbers and perhaps a part# on the rods. I could not find any numbers on the rods. The engine# is 197447H The number on the crank is 555638.
    He said maybe these rod are from a 303 cu. in. Is that a possibility? Does anyone know if that would account for the difference?

Thanks for any help, Lanny

Attached Files:

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

yes the used bearing is from a 303 ......1949 only to be exact...as they have preasure fed wrist pins......1949 rods are not as strong as the rest

Tony

3. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Thank you goatroper2. Are there any particular issues with using them? It might explain why I have two different size head bolt too.

4. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I never reuse the 1949 rods.....Like I said not as strong.....and for the longest time we had trouble getting rod bearings.

5. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Thanks for your advice. I was able to get the correct rod bearings from Old Car Parts for a modest increase in price. I am sort of stuck with what I have. I am not planing on racing this engine, so I imagine the rods really won't be a problem.