Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds transmission question (215 Engine)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winfab, May 6, 2005.

1. Winfab

Winfab

I have a 215 Olds in my T roadster. I've put about 60-70 miles on it now and the transmission is really sluggish on up shifts, and it seems to hesitate and lug the engine before downshifting when stopping. For reference purposes there's a 215 Olds with the same transmission on eBay (item # 4548474222) that pictures two lines coming from the transmission to the back part of the passenger side of the engine. One line has a thing that looks like a small open can and the other has what looks like a in-line fuel filter on the end. In the eBay picture they're just above and below the passenger side valve cover.

Now my question. Anyone know their purpose? Where do these connect in a stock application? My engine and transmission were in the same configuration when I bought it and haven't found a "plumbing" schematic. I'm guessing my shifting woes are related to the lines in question.

By the way......the car ran great, nothing broke, nothing fell off, and I think it took most of the day to get the smile off my 8th grade son's face after I dropped him off in front of school today in the hot rod "we" built!

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm building an Olds 215 for a roadster project and I am glad you are pleased with the one you have.

I think the stock auto transmission was a scalled down 3 speed hydromatic or possibly a Jet-A-Way variant. In any case, they are not very highly thought of. I know that rebuild parts are hard to find and expensive. D&D Fabrications http://www.aluminumv8.com offers adapers that allow you to run later Chevy transmissions. I will be running one of their 700R-4 setups. Not cheap. But better than the stock slush box.

Looked at the EBay pictures. One of the lines appears to be a vent and the other could connect the modulator to engine vaccumme and is critical to shifting.

Your best bet is to find a transmission shop owned by an old timer. He might know off hand and if not, he might have the tech data on a shelf somewhere.

How about some pictures of your ride. I'm looking for ideas.

3. Winfab

Winfab

Bib Overalls; You're right, there is a tag that identifies it as a hydramatic. I have copies of the pertinant sheets of a transmission repair manual but they unfortunately don't address the two lines' connection point or function. There just arent a lot of '61-'63 F-85's around to look at!

If I were to do it again I'd use a D&D adapter to run a more current transmission, but at this point the crossmember, driveshaft (slip joint in the driveshaft), shifter and transmission tunnel have all been built/fitted to the Hydramatic so I'd like to get it working as it should. It's not like I'm going to race the car, just want reasonable function.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the pictures referenced and responding. I sent a PM to you as well.