Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Starter compatibility 371 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I have a 371 Olds with a 176 tooth flywheel and a starter changeover case mounted up, my problem is the 1957 371 starter will not bolt up on the other side since the solenoid hits the oil pan, does anybody know if a 55 or 56 starter will work or is any different the the 57, the 57 I have has the small gear so basicall I need a small gear starter that doesnt have the solenoid mount cast into the starter. Any suggestions?

2. I have a suggestion that might work but I haven't tried it. You should either be able to clock the houseing or the starter 180 degrees. Just a thought.

Your best bet is to either get ahold of GOATROPER02 or paul. They are both well versed in early oldsmobiles.

3. On my 324" Olds the oil pan was modified (that's hammered) just enough for the solenoid to clear. If you don't want to do that,like Porknbeaner suggests get ahold of goatroper2. He carries mini starters that will bolt right up.