Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds rocket dies at a stop?? help!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skunk victim, Oct 11, 2010.

1. i did a search and couldnt come up with much. i finally got my 303 back together and went for a drive. it drives good, accelerates amazing, idles at speed great. but it seems like when i slow to a stop it will want to die. if i dont tap the gas a few times while slowing to a stop the engine will shut off. im running 4 94s on a log intake if that helps. is this just a tuning issue with the carbs that will take time to work out or something else?

2. 61falcon

61falcon

sounds like a tuning issue. are they all contributing at idle or is it progressive linkage and idle is off 1 or 2 carbs?

3. straight pull on all 4 yes. syncing is very very close right now

4. Frank

Frank

Maybe they are slamming shut? Maybe a dashpot would help?

5. DrJ

DrJ

Mine did that.
    It started real easy even when cold. Seemed like it caught on the first cylinder that came up on compression so it wasn't taxing the battery at all.
    Problem was the battery didn't have enough juice to fire the plugs at idle when the generator wasn't spinning fast enough at the recommended 375 RPM idle speed* to be adding any voltage.
    I put a new good battery in it and no dying problems after that.
    Drove that $75 Olds Holiday 88 "daily" for 12 years.
    You didn't say, but if you have a Hydro, and are running a generator, even with the carb modification you should still set the idle at 375 RPM.
    The way to tell is it won't even creep, in gear at idle, without even holding the brakes.
    Also, the stock dampeners sometimes spin out of time. Verify your top dead center mark on it.
    You may have to install a dashpot in the linkage like cars typically had in the '70's to "catch" the throttles and allow them to close slowly and not stall.
    Running progressive linkage would help streetability too.

*375 RPM with Hydramatic 425 RPM with standard trans.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. i'll look into the battery. it did seem as dead as can be after i tried to start it. im running a 3 speed lasalle. i will try out your advice. thanks