Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds rear to 9" Ford. Driveshaft length difference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlineracer42, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hey Guys, I am replacing my 57 Olds rear with a Ford 9" in my 42 Stude DESTRUCOLDS II 001.JPG . I just wonder if the new set up will require a longer or shorter driveshaft? Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

OUCH!!! That's been coming on for a while. OI still don't think I'd switch to a Ford 9 inch; I'd just replace the third member and forge on. 9 incher's have their own set of issues; the biggest being the "low" pinion causing the pinion and support to push forward right out of the case. That's the reasoning behind the aftermarket 12 bolt to 9 inch third member. Keep the Olds/Pont, and how the car is already setup; I'd say it works just fine the way it is.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Ford 9" rears come with several different yokes of different lengths. You may be able to find one that comes out the same, or maybe not.

4. Finding an early Olds might not be so easy these days....

As to driveshaft length with a 9", you'll probably need a longer one although that can vary depending on the yoke used. There is some longer yokes out there but whether it'll be the right one for your application I can't say.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my '58 Ford 9" measures approximately 10-1/2" inches from CL axle to CL U joint
    My '60 Pontiac 9.3 measures approximately 12-1/2"