Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds Powered '29 Roadster Build. Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, perhaps when we get to that stage, we can do a video of the process. I admit, I have never tried it, so lets see how it goes.

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waffled, Hot Riveting at that I'm thinking or did Henry do that to the larger rivets?

Marty what are the guy wires from the top anchor to the cowl doing?

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Stogy, I would bet Henry used a squeezer, and did them cold, but that's just a guess. I will be doing them HOT, with a bucking bar. Hopefully, @louisb and @alanp561 will be providing some advice. Those rods are for support while being transported.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Budda Boom, Budda Bing, Fire in the hole!!!...don't forget your earplugs...

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Are you going to have some help?
    Unknown.jpeg

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Spud wrench

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty. use the correct set for the head of the rivet. Hold the gun tightly to the rivet and have whom ever is bucking the rivet hole the bar tight. If the person bucking isn't on the rivet solid, the bucking bar will jump which will make the rivet set bounce. That will leave crescent shapes in the head and the part you're riveting. My suggestion would be to try it on some scrap first and determine how long the rivet should be prior to bucking. The bucked side should expand to one and one half times the rivet diameter. Wish I was there, it's easier to show you than write about it but I'm sure you'll have it figured out after the first couple of tries. Here's the best hand hot riveting video I could find. Hope it helps.

8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That's very interesting. I like the look

loudbang likes this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great video Alan, it will be a while before I tackle the riveting. Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  10. loudbang, Stogy and bchctybob like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Speedy, I will take a look at that. Also, the 5X rivet gun I purchased, came a couple of days ago. I plan on getting back on this project on Monday...

Speedy Canuck, OFT and Stogy like this.
  12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Ooh, we're waiting!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty, I just realized while reading this you bought a 5X gun. Missed the original post about the size of the gun entirely. You might want to turn the air down just a skosh, otherwise you might blow right through the frame using those small rivets. Not trying to spook you, just want you to try a few holes first and get a feel for it. We used to use 5 X and 6 X guns with a heavy chisel to remove big welding burrs or a V chisel to backgouge welds on water towers. For the love of God, don't let anybody stand in front of the gun when the trigger is pulled. That chunk of iron will fly out of the barrel and punch a hole right through them. Dang, I wish I was there.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Alan, I will certainly be careful. I need to round up the rivets, but for now, I will be fitting and welding in the A rear crossmember, for the quickchange.

alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  15. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Went to the GoodGuys show in Scottsdale this last weekend. Wandering thru the swap meet looking for treasures and deals, actually found a couple. Got a Richmond gear set for my Nova Gasser project, 4.56:1, brand new in the box for $90.00! And then I found this jewel…
    8BB9CEF3-F115-41E7-B864-2A1BF87EAB64.jpeg 096977D2-CF4E-4936-847C-2674FF25A4E3.jpeg
    Trimo 18” the little brother to yours, and it was only $15.00! Now if I can only make it do the magic your does….

Stogy, kidcampbell71, X38 and 3 others like this.

16. You need to get Marty's brand of smoke and mirrors! (NO, not THAT kind of smoke!!)

loudbang likes this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great find Jimmy, you will be amazed at what you can do with that wrench. Now find a 2' long piece of pipe that slips over the handle, and go to work ! Thanks for the kind words, but it's not magic, just metal work.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and X38 like this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Marty, are you going to make wooden shims to mate the flat A to the ‘32 frame the old school way or do you have another trick up your sleeve? I made shims for mine, cutting them was a new experience for me, wood and I are natural enemies.

Stogy, loudbang and Weedburner 40 like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, I haven't talked about that, to the owner, but he is building a saw mill right now, I think I will let him handle that aspect.

Stogy, Six Ball and bchctybob like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

What was used to get the rivet heated up? I couldn’t tell in the video.

Stogy, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't see what they were using, either. It could have been a rosebud torch, which I would use for no more rivets than they were setting. The old time Ironworkers and Boilermakers would use something similar to a small forge.
    Look in the upper left corner of the picture. The fellow with the bushy hair and glasses is heating rivets. A coke or charcoal fire with air introduced to it will get the rivet plenty hot enough. He'll carry the hot rivets to the work and then the rivets will be squeezed into place.
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Six Ball, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I think that I would have more than rubber boots on working with red hot steel.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where's your sense of adventure?????;)

24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Have you ever??? No, but I'm willing to try! With apologies to Stripes, paraphrasing the best line

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

In fabrication education it's just the natural progression from getting hot MIG boogers down your tennis shoes......

Stogy, Six Ball, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That and weld splatter in the ear... reminds me of a mobile phone commercial: can you hear me now?

Stogy, bchctybob, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  27. saltracer219

saltracer219

I sure as hell would have my pants over the top of the boots and not tucked inside!

Stogy, RICH B, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In the past I have shown pictures of my '40 Pickup project. I recently brought the chassis out of storage to finish the last phase before sending it out for powdercoat, that being procuring and installing a 1" front stabilizer bar. Well, my friend Dale at Weedetr, (@Weedburner 40) sold me one of his, along with a front shock kit. Very well engineered, high quality parts ! I didn't expect anything less. IMG_8015.JPG

29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So what's the Safety Racing wheel going on? Could never afford them during my dirt track days. But it was always fun seeing the bucks up racers rubbing wheels with them. Really nice fireworks display!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am looking for some slicks to mount on those, for my roadster pickup, and another car as well.

Stogy, bchctybob, alanp561 and 3 others like this.