Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds B&M Hydro info wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod bob, Jan 14, 2012.

1. hotrod bob

hotrod bob

Hello! 1960 394, 1954 Hydro....Opened up the side cover on my 54 hydro and discovered a B&M valve on gov fluid delivery pipe....Yay! My question is...The internal control lever has 6 notches (detents)....see picture.... instead of 4 which the Motors manual shows. Is this a B&M part as well? ...Made to keep in whichever gear is selected not unlike a full manual valve body? Have not driven the car yet, have other things to finish to be road ready. My C&O hydro used to stay in whichever gear was selected or upshift automatically when in 4th. Any insight would be appreciated. :cool:

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
  2. saltracer219

saltracer219

That is a low gear lock valve. The stock hydro will automaticly upshift at a certain RPM. This valve will hold it in low until it is manually upshifted. The serial number on the tag will tell you what it was designed for. I believe SS was street-strip, UC is unblown competition and BC is blown competition. There maybe other codes that someone on here knows. Hope this helps, Gary.....

3. hotrod bob

hotrod bob

Thank you! Guess it's a good thing I've got 3:00 rear end gears....maybe have to shift to second More than 30ft out of the hole...:)