Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds 455 or chevy 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lurch423, Nov 25, 2010.

1. chevyshack

chevyshack

500hp on pump gas and street friendly is very easy now days. Ive got about 420hp and 500ft pounds from my 383 stroker and its very street friendly. Its a full roller and runs on 93 octane. Ive even ran it on 89 before with no problem. Its all in the heads! AFR heads baby!!

2. chevyshack

chevyshack

Oh and i forgot. After seeing the picture id probally go with the 455 myself. But boy would it be a handfull! I hope you can drive. When it starts to break loose you dont have much time to react.

3. MotionNova

MotionNova
    from Ohio

I'm with you there too! I run a Performer RPM 355 in my Vette.
    It makes 410HP and is very steetable. I run it on 87 octane.
    But a tunnel ram 355cu.in. 700 lift roller cam with 13to1 is a different animal.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Agree with most of the above.....
    But if it were me I would go with the 455.....
    the 350 is a proven great motor, and yes very reasonable $$$ for parts/build...BUT everyone has one.....
    The 455 will be more unique, and different.
    You are only doing this once (I assume) so go for it!!
    Good luck!!

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

Go with the olds, I have an olds in my 40 ford and people really like it after I tell them what it is. Also the torque in a light weight car like an anglia
    would be a kick on the street with out rpming it to death. both motors are
    good.

6. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

The olds is VERY reliable and usualy very considtant at the track , somt thing to do , stay away from chevy guys and Mondello during the build and you will be fine.
    In your first post is the reason people think Olds are expensive or junk, with the olds you want lots of of reliable power for only $1500 , but with the sbchity your willing to buy Alum. heads and such which alone is over $1500 .
    J heads being junk, LMFAO , they are all junk til you work them over . C heads, thats a joke perpetraded for sales puporses . A, B F, H , D all flow better stock but the C is the greatest in the world supposedly ? Edelbrock has alum. as well as ROcket Racing if you want to go full on .

7. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

X 2 what captain Chaos said. ( Andy right?)

one of my Olds W/ stock 455 , headers ,torker intake 600 cfm carb. never been rebuilt 3750 lbs car
    3500 rpm converter,4.11 gear 13.07 in the 1/4

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Go with the Olds. Had one in a Jet drive low profile boat for years. Never had any trouble. Plenty of aftermarket stuff. I think they even make aluminum racing heads now. Plenty of aftermarket stuff at the swaps because they put so many of them in boats. Picked up a tunnel ram for my friends boat a few years ago at a swap for $100. If you put a sbc in it people will just glance at it at shows. With the Olds people will stop and talk. And yes that is what we all want. Even the people who say they don't.

9. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

you guys need to shut up about 425's. they are hard enough to find already. :D

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be my suggestion for the time being anyhow. A stock 455 will push that car faster than any sane person would want to drive it on the street and with a few dress up goodies that are probably already on the engine you have look pretty mean in the process. On the other hand if I wer going to race it on a regular basis I'd probably go with the 350 just for the ease on the wallet for buying parts.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree. & don't forget about the K heads. They are marine heads & have the bigger valves. I picked up a pair for $225, & they already had the heat risers filled & dividers welded :D You can always get the Edelbrocks later when you are ready for 500 HP

As far as MPG, my 355 gets the same as my Olds did, but the SBC has a bigger cam. My 455 can walk all over my SBC

12. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

I was thinking about 350 th700 in my Olds 56, that`s an easy way and not bad at all but why not a little more tricky way like this "turn key" torque monster 455 Olds that save me from my whife`s vacuumcleaner

[​IMG]

13. And I do consider myself LUCKY!

14. well im a purist so id go with the SBC especailly if you just building a cruiser

UNLESS the car has some cool documented drag history as an olds powered car then id go with the olds and you wanted to restore it to its drag heritage

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

me too! I have 2 builders!

16. lurch423

lurch423

the car runs but it has a knock ( possible rod bearing ). ive drove the car some before it started knocking its got a 750 vac holley carb and a holley street dominator intake but the rest is stock i wouldnt want more the 500 horse in this thing it already tries to pull the front wheels even tho i conseder myself a decent driver (|ive raced stock cars for over 10 years got a few wins) the car is pretty crued . i dont know much about it i know it was raced it had lexen windows at one time and i know it was gonna be turned into a street rod in the 80's i got it out of a junkyard its on a olds 98 frame i dont know if it was put on the frame before or after it was gonna be street roded it has disk brakes on the front and a olds 12 bolt in the rear its defently differnt but thats what i like and yes your sitting were the back seat would be

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since the majority think you should go with the Olds, it sounds like a very desireable engine! I'd sell the Olds to one of these guys who want one badly and use the cash to build a great SBC!

18. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

no such thing

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

It's not a 'belly button' car so why put
    a 'belly button' motor in it??? :eek::D Go
    with the Olds!:) I remember years ago,
    one of the car mags ('Popular Hot
    Rodding' or 'Hot Rod' maybe??) just to
    show what could be done, did a super
    low-buck build-up on a near stock,
    junkyard-fresh 455 Olds, with just a
    few, mostly used, bolt-on parts and
    then stuffed it into a cheapo '64 or '65
    Olds F85 2-dr sedan - and ran easy low,
    low 12's with it. Your Anglia will probably
    weigh in at least 1200 lbs. lighter than a
    similarly-455 Olds-powered '64-'65 F85
    and if you figure about a tenth of a second
    E.T. reduction per hundred lbs. of weight
    reduction, (assuming you can get it to
    hook and then keep it going in a straight
    line too!:eek:) that would equate to about
    high 10's - with a barely breathed-on
    motor!

Mart3406
    ===================

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

you can buy a new crate sbc cheaper then building anyone of them .
    my $.02.....sbc
    "and the bowtie rolls on"
    MART, YOU MAKE MY BELLY BUTTON ITCH BROTHER.

22. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Ok, so you can buy a crate motor cheaper but whats inside it ? Now that you saved $300 on the long block how bout the rest of the stuff to make it work ?
    You can make over 500hp w stock heads that are worked ,
    You have a good intake already , add a 1" open spacer and go .
    For the rebuild, bore as needed, you can get trw 2323 pistons, Keith black or spend a few$$ more and get SRP for a lil over $500 . put man studs in , get a girdle if you want some ins.stock rods prepped are fine but will run almost as much as a set of cat H beam off ebay ( have them checked ) . IF you use an HV pump make sure you have a 7qt pan, Federal mogul bearings have full groove mains, cam, Lunait voodoo 517/541 will be hot street bracket cam there is a crower that looked sweet in the 533/555 lift range .Get stainless 2.07/1.68 valves, pocket port and match port heads, fill center divider on exhaust and block heat riser passages , filling heads is best . budget rocker is a kit from comp cams, comes with pushrods, studs, guide plates and roller tip rockers for about $260 or machin heads for 7/16 studs , mill pad down thickness of guide plate to keep stock pushrod lentgh . a SBF rocker will work on there and is cheaper than the " Olds " roller rocker . BBF neprene real seal ( polish crank on seal surface ) . I had cross drilled the cranks on my last few Olds motors but probably not needed with the full groove bearings . Don't let anyone tell you to pound aluminum in the bottom of your block AKA restricters .

23. pitman

pitman

Janet, Jalopyjournal's magazine critic "discovers" the value of the HAMB! /\
    Pretty good info there CC.

24. lurch423

lurch423

thanks chaos and everyone else im goona keep the 455 that lunati cam you are talking about is the exact one i was thinking of using . im gonna get a seal power kit with the high compression L2323 forged pistons hadnt thought about the cat rods but im kinda scared of them ( i sold them at one time ) but i guess they be ok i hope santa brings me want i want cash....lol i cant wait to launch this thing theres a bunch of otherthings id like to do to it ( better fuel sytem ,steering shaft ) but it will hafta wait if i can just get it running ill be happy