Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 303 to '48 Ford trans. with McBar

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteson, Feb 21, 2019.

1. vetteson

vetteson

I have a '51 Olds 303 that I would like to mate to a '32-48 Ford 3-sp using a McBar adapter. The Olds engine had a hydramatic originally and I don't have anything behind the crank. What flywheel do I need? Can I find one? What clutch and pressure plate? If I have to use an original olds flywheel I assume I have to drill for Ford pressure plate? Does the Ford tranny have to be modified in any way?

2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am doing the same thing with a '51 Olds and an Offenhauser adapter to a later ('49-'64) transmission. If the engine/trans combination is going into an old Ford, you will need a "starter switchover" housing unless you do something exotic with the steering setup. If you do this, you will have to either run a remote filter or run without one, because the starter wants to live where the filter is now. You can run without one if you plumb the outlet to the inlet, but it is not a good idea. As to a flywheel, I believe the early Olds (through 1953) use a 145 tooth flywheel, while the later ones use a 174 tooth flywheel (I think these are the correct counts but am not where I can check them out). Through '51 (or maybe '52) the Oldsmobiles were 6 volt (those starters usually work alright on twelve volts). I think the '53 Olds is the only 12 volt starter with a 145 tooth flywheel. I don't know if my engine was originally a stick or automatic, but I was able to get a pilot bearing adapter from Wilcap about a year ago. As to the clutch, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I would guess that there is a GM pressure plate that will bolt up and a matching disk that fits the Ford spline. I haven't put this combination together before, but I've done a few other "wierdos" and was always able to mix 'n match stock parts.

All in all, it's a lot of work to go through for a powertrain you will probably be able to shred at will.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  4. F&J

F&J

I did the 303 swap into a stock 40 Ford coupe with stock 40 trans....

I used the stock Olds pressure plate and a Mercury Disc which is larger diameter than Ford car. Then I made an extended pilot bushing adapter.

No mods to the Ford trans, and it's stock TOB

As said 50-53 Olds "coarse teeth" flywheel which needs a matching years age starter, or...54-56 Olds 324 "fine teeth" flywheel which needs the matching years age starter. 49-53 Cad flywheel will work if you file out one bolt hole for the crank pattern.

Yes, 53 is the only 12v starter for the 50-53 coarse teeth flywheel.

Do not buy a used 57-up Olds flywheel as those are external balanced

Tony at Ross can supply a mini starter with either pinion gear to fit which flywheel you find.

I sold my 40 without the engine/trans, and I know I still have the nearly new Mercury disc and have several stock Olds pressure plates....in case you need them.

I don't have a spare V8 flywheel to sell, or that extended bushing.

5. deucemac

deucemac

A '49 Cadillac starter housing will also reposition the starter to the passenger side.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aftermarket (Schieffer, etc.) Oldsmobile flywheels come up on the auction site occasionally. They can be expensive. Of the last two I remember looking at, there was a used one that looked terrible (even in the little pictures) for $175 and a NOS one for $475. I am still looking, and if I can find one at a reasonable price, I will have a stocker available for sale.

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my 303 adapted to a '48 Ford 3 spd with column shift. Not hard to do , used a standard Olds flywheel & pressure plate & 1898134_10203852872216160_5168303309293714088_n.jpg an early ford truck clutch plate & a pilot bush from Willcap.