Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old, weathered paint.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Oct 29, 2007.

1. noboD

noboD

I love how the headlights fade into the cowl. Kinda has a Steadybreaker look to it?

2. gonmad and mr57 like this.
  3. Yup. Itza Hupp :cool:

4. Here is mine - before and after with a few 'paint patches' added where Flop did his metal magic. Just patched in the new paint and polished that crappy old paint - has lots of character to it . . .

DSC0808001 copy.jpg

2016-07-11 19.12.22.jpg

IMG_5031.jpeg

The goal was to preserve every bit of the old paint that I could - you just can't replicate that stuff . . .

Drivers-Fender2.jpg

2016-03-01 17.22.05.jpg

Kiwi 4d, MO_JUNK, Cosmo49 and 6 others like this.
  5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just curious.... what was the diesel for?[/QUOTE] The diesel was used to make it shine, a old used car dealers trick, some used kerosene

6. My friend Tim Cantlle's 35 Ford truck.
    It is a real 50's hot rod, found as a cab, bed, and fenders, no frame running gear or history.
    GEDC0002.JPG GEDC0003.JPG GEDC0006.JPG GEDC0008.JPG GEDC0007.JPG

It is now finished full fendered, 330 hemi, 39 Ford transmission Zephyr gears, 40 Ford rear.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    MO_JUNK, gonmad and biggeorge like this.
  7. phil

phil

Here is the shot from last November

Attached Files:

8. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Looks perfect.....zero worry!

9. This 40 is from about 20 miles from where I live. The same people have owned it since 1956! GEDC0726.JPG GEDC0725.JPG

10. This 57 Chevy was at a local cruise night, it is a real barn hot rod no other history.
    GEDC0731.JPG GEDC0729.JPG GEDC0730.JPG

11. Utahvette

Utahvette

My 54 Vette. Last registered in 1968. Capture24.JPG

MO_JUNK, Cosmo49, LOWDUG37 and 9 others like this.
  12. LostBoy

LostBoy

Someone did a terrible job on my corvair. It was stripped, primed, and painted by an unprofessional, professional. In other words, no runs drips or sags, but the paint had a better chance of sticking to a greased cookie sheet than to the primer for whatever reason.
    That being said, I love it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  13. I love it too, and I dig that Cad and the Bago. Right on. I throw roof racks on my ride too, anyone who won't is too gentle for my taste....

Bruce Fischer and LostBoy like this.
  14. 39 Deluxe

39 Deluxe

The diesel helped the steel wool to cut through the rust and lichen growing on the paint. Dry steel wool seemed just too dry.

15. VTjunk

VTjunk

Screenshot_2017-02-05-11-11-42-1.png
    50 Tow truck I had a few years back. Lives in the Rochester NY area now.

16. Some weathered paint looks good on some cars. I really think I want to go back to the orginal grey color on the 56 Chrysler.It would be a gun gray metallic. What do you all think? Thanks Bruce. 001.JPG

17. LostBoy

LostBoy

If that's original I would leave it. Maybe do a matte clear? It looks great how it is imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Myself, I'm kind of a punk rock guy, I really dig old looking things. I might just keep it like it is, Bruce, but we are all different.

I have the kind of car a lot of people I run into think should be repainted and look slick (Cadillac). But I like it a bit messed up. I don't run hub caps, just the rusty old oem wheels with a-corn lugs, lots of little dents and defects, some interior details that might be disrespectful, I built a toy box/table that fit between my two kids in the back. I am letting the paint alligator peal, I just wax it and touch up the bare spots to keep it from rusting away. I put a canoe on it for most of the summer. Plywood sometimes. I don't feel the need to "respect" the lineage of my car. I kinda look at it like this : What would Rat Fink do to this car if he owned it? He wouldn't have held Cadillacs in high esteem in the 60's, that was 'The Man's car', after all. He would beat on it.

I spent a lot of time on the drivetrain, dual quads, some aluminum, working on making my own dual exhaust with Mellowtones and have plans to keep going in that direction, no plans to restore it in any way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That being said, I understand and respect a lot of people here that feel that cars need clean new paint, shiny chrome, that everything should be tidy and slick. I think your ride would look pretty sweet with a new coat of paint too.

19. First pic is when bought, second after I wet sanded with 2000 -3000 grit some touch up paint, then a buff and wax.
    Paint is old on this car, with chips etc. but I like it like that. IMG_1695.JPG IMG_2066.JPG

20. IronTrap

IronTrap

newgrill.jpg overhead_mockup.jpg truck3.png I have a love affair with old weathered paint. Couple recent ones of my coupe project and the Meat Truck.

21. gonmad and Matt@Eastwood like this.
  22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

23. Bruce I vote for new paint. I know you're capable of laying down a stellar paint job.
    My opinion on the color choice is go with that original gray and pink. However I would throw a a bit of extra metallic into the dark gray or if possible toss some pearl into the gray. SHOW CAR!!!!

clunker, Bruce Fischer and biggeorge like this.
  24. VTjunk

VTjunk

25. 2many projects, that's the plan. Metallic gun gray and the pink stripe.Looks like she will have to be sanded all the way back down to the metal the old paint is so cracked. I am going to have sore arms. LOL. Bruce.

26. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Bruce,take pride in yo' ride. Paint it. Does anyone around you do soda blasting?

27. ChaosActual

ChaosActual

My 51 DeSoto Custom the way I found it with no grille and wrong bumper. Paint is only on the main body but gone everywhere else. It's kind of interesting.

[​IMG]

Bruce Fischer and clunker like this.
  28. Looks pretty solid. Right on.

ChaosActual likes this.
  29. ChaosActual

ChaosActual

Yeah she is. Only rust bad on the body is by the trunk and the rockers. It's repairable luckily. I have since purchased used fenders, the right bumper, and a grille. Surprisingly it still runs with little to no assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.