Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Old-timey moon wheel covers (NOT Moon discs)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Hey 50Fraud,

Any luck finding these? They too are my favourite wheel covers.

Are these the same on Jerry Quesnel's 52:
    Jerry-quesnel-1952-ford.jpg

Cheers,
    Dave

AHotRod likes this.
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Dave, the ones on Quesnel's car certainly look like the kind with the raised bead, and it was from the right period.
    And no, unfortunately, I've still had zero success in finding any of those early caps.

3. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

Cheers 50Fraud. If you ever find them, please let me know.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I like these.. :) coool.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  5. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

6. They are not mine, this is the car of the owner at Earlyford :)

http://www.earlyfordstore.com/

I did ask him about them, he got them at a yard sale or somthing like that..

7. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

I was having one of those sleepless nights those of you my age know so well, and came across this thread.

In Tony's original group of photos is one of Dick Colarossi's '40 coupe. My brother-in-law Ed Colarossi, now 79, grew up in Glendale, CA and until he retired about ten years ago had a NAPA store in the San Fernando Valley in partnership with his older brother, Dick. I thought the names and locale were too much coincidence to not be the same guy, so dropped my sister a 2 a.m. e-mail.

This morning, I had a reply that Dick IS her brother-in-law but sold the car in the 1960s and has since spent years trying to relocate it to try to buy it back. No success, but he has bought three other 40s to try to "replace" it!

8. DeSoto style. Stainless and stainless mated to steel.

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Interesting.

I recall seeing lots of these in the old mags as a kid, but then they sorta vanished. Later, in my teen years the "chrome smoothie" became popular, which looks much the same, but are not the same thing at all.

I guess anything before about 1967 would have to be caps & rings and not chromed smoothie wheels at all.

10. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

50Fraud, These were on my Jeepster when I got it in 1975, My uncle put them on the car in 1959 but can not remember where he got them.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Those look like the kind that are available today -- no raised rib near the outside edge.

I don't know what you're referring to.

Not so. The moons that are in all the pictures in the original post date from the early '50s, and those are the ones I've been looking for.

Those are essentially the same shape as the spun aluminum discs that snap onto the rim. Not the same thing as the moons I'm talking about at all.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Really? I've been told here just the opposite.
    o_O

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Ulu, I think you and Fraud are using the same term to describe two different things. "Smoothie" WHEELS were not available in the 1950s. But 50Fraud is looking for WHEEL COVERS or hubcaps, not wheels, that were often referred to as "smoothies" in the magazines of the '50s.
    So "smoothies" often refers to a particular style of chromed steel wheel nowadays, but in this context is referring to an aftermarket one-piece full wheel cover from the 1950s.

14. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Thank you.

I was sure I remembered seeing that style as very popular. But I always thought they were chromed wheels with smooth caps. I remember my dad talking about chromed wheels back in 1960 and he hated them. He told me you had to wax them every week & they'd still rust in the rain.