Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. thats not rust

thats not rust

2. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

that is awesome, i have been using google earth lately as well to look for stuff. I have always been drawn to junkyards for some reason, ever since i was a kid. wish i had pics of some of the ones around by where i grew up, most of them gone now

3. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

4. chevyhead419

chevyhead419

5. chevyhead419

chevyhead419

6. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Finally was able to get these pics from my mom. These were taken at King Ziegler Salvage in Scotland, SD in 1999 They crushed out a couple years later. King died in 97 I think. Nothing left there now but a corn field:(

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357306.106505.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357320.011016.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357333.697639.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357345.924097.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357357.829718.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357367.751287.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357378.623688.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357389.695611.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357402.535174.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357412.773921.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357424.882171.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357437.570034.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357451.460420.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463357463.016196.jpg

9. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I remember that house being full of driveshafts and exhaust

10. scotts52

scotts52

Nice to see this thread back up.

11. KATFISH

KATFISH

Glad to see this thread is still alive .
    I've been away for a while,so i look forward to hours of great viewing

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

14. A car graveyard in Orange, NSW from 1964
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. scotts52

scotts52

Flatblack 31 likes this.
  16. stxmemories

stxmemories

Fairline Mike,
    I know this is an old thread but my granddad was Gus Heitman; he and Gene were extremely kind and I learned how to drive there. They even tried to give me a beautiful old Mercury Cougar in the 70’s but my parents didn’t want me to drive it back East alone. If you still have those pics, I’d love to see them.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Stogy likes this.
  18. Big Dad

Big Dad

I see King Zeiglers yard mentioned .. thought I would add a couple snaps I took , this would of been about 1992 I think ..

It is all gone .. nothing and I mean nothing there any longer

king1.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  19. Big Dad

Big Dad

1st time I visited it would of been about 1979 or 80 I suppose , it looked like a mal parking lot, there was cars in almost perfect condition, keys in ignition king2.jpg I bet they would of drove out

20. Big Dad

Big Dad

21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-21_4-13-39.png

Hello,

If anyone has ever seen the old Terminator Movie where the chase Terminator (Robert Patrick) gets liquified in a giant workplace vat, this movie was shot on the Terminal Island side of the giant drawbridge and near the old Terminal Island Scrapyard.

In the late 50s and early 60s, it was a place to dump old cars, make a giant pile, take them apart, get them ready for transport back across the ocean to be reconstructed into metal beams, car parts, and other heavy metal objects for the U.S. Economy. A 53 Chevy becomes a metal toy for the new generation, etc.
    upload_2021-12-21_4-15-58.png
    This photo of Ed Roth was supposedly taken at the Terminal Island Junkyard.

The junkyard was popular as the word spread for the So Cal, hot rod guys, the San Pedro/Wilmington guys and even the South Bay hot rodders. It was a treasure trove of old parts. Sometimes, the stories of those midnight raids, like LaSalle transmissions and valuable parts were all part of the local lore. You just had to be extremely quiet.

The area was closer to the draw bridges, not the Tuna Processing Factories and the actual fishing harbor. When our dad used to take us for a drive with the whole family, we would pass the big pile of wrecked cars on the way to the places he lived and played back when he was a little kid up to college.

Jnaki

We all were at one time or another, affected by the goings on in those early Terminal Island days. No, not the junkyard escapades, but the neighboring factories and warehouses. Since we all ate tuna sandwiches at school lunchtimes and picnics, the majority of tuna processing was done on Terminal Island. they were within walking distance from those early junk piles.

The island is relatively barren today versus the high daily activity back in the 50s and early 60s. The only active place is the Federal Prison at the end of the main road, on a peninsula. When we were docked in Cabrillo Marina with one of our sailboats, the Terminal Island Federal Prison channel was a backdrop or windbreaker. (primary winds from West)

It was the best place to make the perfect spot to drop the sails after spending hours on the water from Seal Beach to Palos Verdes. The nearness to the famous “Hurricane Gulch” was cause for the search to drop sails in less heavy winds. We did wave to those guys looking out to the harbor waters.
    upload_2021-12-21_4-20-58.png
    Star Kist Tuna Factory Terminal Island 1962

“The familiar Star-Kist Company traces its origins to 1918 on Terminal Island, when it was founded as the French Sardine Company by Yugoslavian immigrant Martin J. Bogdanovich. By 1952, the renamed Star-Kist Tuna Cannery’s new main plant held the distinction of being the single-largest cannery in the world. Star-Kist was the largest of several major tuna canneries, including Chicken Of The Sea, which operated on Terminal Island for several decades and revolutionized seafood consumption through the introduction of canned tuna.”

“While Star-Kist closed its facilities on Terminal Island in 1984 If you’ve ever eaten a tuna-fish sandwich, you’re part of the legacy of an industry that was born on Terminal Island. This was the place that helped change how Americans ate by popularizing canned tuna as a substitute for chicken.”

“Terminal Island spawned two iconic tuna brands that are household names to this day, and it helped So Cal become a world-class industrial hub. A tuna even appears on the official seal of the county.”

From beach resort to American households, Terminal island was known mainly in the late 19th century for its luxurious resort town, Brighton Beach, and as a rural beach haven for artists and writers. Fishing was not a large part of the island’s activities until 1893, when the first cannery opened.

“Relocated from San Francisco after a slump in sardine fishing and renamed from its former Golden Gate Packing Company. It was located on the main channel of the island across from First Street in Terminal Island. It specialized in sardines until the catch started to decline around the turn of the twentieth century, and they needed to find a new product.”

“In 1903, the company developed a new process to can cooked Tuna, which was plentiful in local waters. Tuna had been available only on the fresh fish market. In a bid to introduce the fish into American households, Cal Fish capitalized on its relatively un-fishy flavor by steaming it white, packing it in salad oil, and marketing it as an affordable substitute for chicken.”

“Canned Tuna was slow to catch on, but thanks to some clever promotion—including persuading grocers to give it away with the purchase of coffee—it took off and slowly but surely became one of the fastest growing industries in the harbor.”

Sorry, Charlie!

“One of the men attributed with inventing the tuna canning process, Wilbur Wood, opened his own company on Terminal Island in 1912. In 1914, he sold it to Frank Van Camp of the Canned Bean Company. That same year, the Los Angeles Times raved, “…there is no other industry in Southern California, that has had such a remarkable growth as tuna canning.”

“The following year, the newly created Fish Harbor became the regional hub for tuna canning. Van Camp had masterminded a successful campaign to introduce tuna to the average American consumer as a staple good. By proposing that the Terminal Island canners pool their advertising funds and set the price at a low ten cents per can. The results were immediate.”

“With his son Gilbert, Van Camp would help transform the industry and create what later became Chicken Of The Sea. This iconic brand is still known for its jingle (“Ask any mermaid you happen to see, what’s the best tuna? Chicken of the Sea!”) And the beautiful mermaid that has appeared on cans and advertising since 1952. She turns sixty this year, still lovely and now the face of the brand on Facebook and Twitter.”

“Star Kist brand still thrives today and in the early 1960’s introduced the iconic phrase “Sorry, Charlie!” To American Pop Culture via its spokes-fish, Charlie the Tuna—now fifty years old and still going.”
    upload_2021-12-21_4-24-44.png
    1930’s Tuna Street, Terminal Island

22. This pic posted by Bleach is actually a Gasser chop-shop in Old Blighty.. Pick of the bunch is the black Austin A40 twodoor and the little blue van on the left.
    gasser chop-shop.jpg