Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes, FilthHound, that's the one of Earl Browing's junkyard, Harney Co., Oregon. I provided a link to the state historical society, because you can buy a art-quality print from the original negative. GREAT framed for the wall! And for a quality print, the prices are very reasonable, too.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Idaho HAMber "PeeVee" just posted this one on another thread.
    Imagine spotting an old roadster while out hunting! The property
    owner said take it away (FREE)! And PeeVee has it safe and
    under roof now. Good find.
    [​IMG]

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HAMBer SilverSink found this one in Oregon & the land-owner
    won't budge. Frustrating to see 'em waste away, year by year.
    [​IMG]

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HAMBer "Stan" just posted this one, looking for an ID (He's a '50s guy & doesn't know the early makes/bodies. I say '34/'35 vintage, but I can't place the make.
    [​IMG] <OBJECT id=flash-image height=600 width=800 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 name=hqimage>

<!--[if !IE]>--> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://p.webshots.net/flash/simpleImageLoader.swf" width="800" height="600">

<!--<![endif]--> [​IMG] <!--[if !IE]>--> </object> <!--<![endif]--> </OBJECT>

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Heck, pic won't seem to come up. Please go to post entitled: "Help ID this old car" and help Stan figure out what this beast is.

6. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  7. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

NovaTattoo, GREAT pix, buddy! AND thanks for that link; I'll bet a BUNCH of HAMBers will enjoy hour of the "vacrious" junkyard tours on there!

Did I already mention on this thread that there's a great online photo archive that goes by the name "Shorpy" ? They have plenty of VINTAGE junkyard and abandoned-car pix. They have memberships, BUT it seems you can browse around LOOK at the pix. I seem to recall that they usually have the original negs and/or glass-negs, so for a reasonable FEE, they can make you a print to frame & hand on the wall. Shorpy.

9. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Feel free to take any of mine you like. No biggie.......

Later,Bill

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Buildy: Doood! The pix didn't ocme up fast when I first looked, so I had to move on to something else for a while.

NOW! There are some great PIX, buddy! Is that a Packard CLIPPER there beside the '48 DeSoto?

That'll be a GREAT link to spend time on, SO THANKS for letting all of us know (Flickr) ! ! !

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Avatar of Call me the Breeze, Ashville, NY. Obvi-
    ously OUT of the boneyard now, but still VERY cool
    Vintage Tin!

12. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Heres some pics of whats left of an old junkyard I just finished raiding. Owner said it was shut down around 30 years ago..

Attached Files:

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

It's sad to see 'em like that, isn't it, RadioJoe? They were once somebody's pride & joy, somebody's work truck, etc.

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

if cars could talk......

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WichitaUndertaker, excellent point, man. I must have said that over a hundred times in my youth (late-'60s/early '70s) when I was roaming great old boneyards full of '30s & '40s cars. You can't HELP looking at what's left of A Detroit, or South Bend, or Cleveland, or Kenosha creation and WONDER WHERE all the miles took a car and its owners! Yeah, if they could TALK, what stories they might tell!

I almost always went through the junkyards by myself. And it felt very much like walking in a human cemetery. A person has to feel a certain respect for the loyal old cars that lived out their "lives" in the service of people. These vehicles embody a ton of work, hopes, dreams, reflecting the society that built them.

16. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Yeah It was pretty discouraging walking around the place. They clearly chopped the cars up so noone could use anything off of them (I still found alot to use) but they cut them straight throught the stainless and all.

I found alot of the trucks were from the local public works and thought about the times when they drove around doing their jobs. Could probably find someone who used to drive one of them if i tried...

Its really sad because it looks like the only reason alot of the cars were there was because they were tired- out of all the engines I found, only one had evidence of moajor rod failure. Even sadder is how what was left had rusted from being left out. All the best parts were left directly on the ground or buried so they were just trashed.

would have loved to see the place before they started cutting it all up.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, shit happens. Not much you can do after it's over but walk around and shake your head.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Matter offact, I'll give a case in point, RadioJoe. Back about 1973, I was do9ing the rust repairs on my '55 Fireflite, and I'd been looking for decent quarters for a LOOOOONG time (they weren't repopping them then, and the original factory stuff had dried up or got scrapped).

I finally found one WAY out in the country. It was on its top, and I talked with the guy's kids. They'd wanted to use it as a "mud buggy," but he apparently flipped it just so they couldn't have any fun. They said he was gonna come home after work and haul it to the junkyard. Figuring he'd made up his mind, I made the mistake of saying well, I know the guy at the junkyard; I know he'll put the torch to the arches and quarters for me, so I'll go from there.

Sure enough, I went out later in the day and there was the '55. They SOB had taken an axe to anything I could have used. WHY do some people just seem to have a mean strewak in them, trashing useable stuff?

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Here's another woods-find pic posted by newbie HAMBer 8Flatliner6 in
    August this year, taken in Rhode Island (!). OK, that's a '47-'50 Packard
    up front, but that coupe's grille is throwing me. Nash?

20. F&J

F&J

too tired to do carnut or google, but I'd guess the front one is 41/42 olds, back one guess 39 olds/pont

21. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Saw theres today pretty cool stuff.

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      587.3 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      571.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      490.1 KB
      Views:
  22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Yo, SPHYNX, nice photo of sweet vintage tin in its "declining years," buddy! You say you shot this in Florida? Looks like it from the plants & water in the background. Good one!

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

F&J, yeah! Good call on the 41/2 Ols up front. THANKS for correcting me! And I can believe '39 Pontiac in back. That one sure threw me. (Guess I'm not much of a GM guy!).

In a different vein, I think it's interesting that with nearly over 50 posts and over 2,000 views, not one guy has gone to the top of the page and voted a rating. Not to be self-serving, but if more guys would do the blue-star thing, maybe even more guys would open the thread and be amazed by the great stuff everybody has posted -- facts, data, pix, opinions, etc.

AND, I have to think more guys have (non-copyrighted) pix of old junkyards in their personal collections, and not just from the 1920s. HAMB protocol goes up through 1965, ya know? Just 2-cents' worth!

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

This shot by HAMBer LeadFut of Winnipeg, Manitoba, was posted just early June on a thread started by ITexOldIron. What I like about this "detail" shot is that it kind of makes a statement that EVEN "WORN OUT," the original artistry of (in this Pontiac's case) Detroit's artistry takes on NEW visual appeal in a rustic setting. I don't mean to hijack, but when I see a pic that is excellent, I just wanna pull it into one thread people can go to easily and sort of tour a "universal junkyard" like the ones I enjoyed when I was 17! Thanks to ITex and LeadFut for this shot!

ITex's thread is a full four pages long and FULL of PIX. Very, very enjoyable place to spend a few hours! Punch up "all the good find and junkyard pictures."

[​IMG]

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Heres some more Florida iron.

Attached Files:

• 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      486.4 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      467.4 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      546 KB
      Views:
  26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sphynx, THERE is another one that borders on what photo-
    graphers would call fine art. Nice shot with the car against
    the blue sky. Sweet!

[​IMG]

27. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I would never consider myself a photographer but I had walked by an turned around and thought it looked cool so snapped a picture but I will accept the compliment so thanks.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    Holy floorboards, Batman! '37 Chevey interior shot.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HAMBer AceUh posted this on another thread 9/23/09. He said these are
    stacked along a creek for flood control near Cheerokee, NC. Cool shot, Ace !
    [​IMG]