Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old style SBC verses LS1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Feb 22, 2010.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Did some searching but couldn't come up with what I was looking for.
    I have a 29 Sedan frame bought premade set up for a LS1-4l60e combination and have since changed direction of my build and am now putting in the old style PRE 86 SBC with a 700R4.
    I thought all SBC mounts were the same but I can't get the mounts on my engine to line up with the mounts on my frame without putting an inch of space between the block and the upper mount.
    Is there a difference between the mounts on an LS1 and the block I have?
    The frame manufacturer builds these by the dozen so there has to be something I am doing wrong.
    Maybe there is a different upper mount that I need to ask for at the parts store, I just bought generic upper mounts for a SBC thinking they were all the same.
    I hate to have to cut the mounts off my frame and put on new ones because I went to an older style block.

I know I know pictures, I tried to take some but my camera died on me yesterday.

Thanks

2. If I remember correctly, the mounts are not the same (the muscle car guys buy adapter mounts to put LS engines in their cars). You may have to put new ones on the frame.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

LS engines use different mounts. Any small block Chevy prior to 1997 uses the same mounts. There are adapters available.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

Different for sure.

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thats what I was afraid of.
    Unkledaddy I see the ones that adapt from old style lower mounts to the LS1 but I don't see the ones that go from LS1 lower mounts to the old style upper.

Any one know if there is an adapter that goes from LS1 lower mounts to old style upper mounts?

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Looked through Pete and Jakes catalog and it looks like they only have one mount for all SBC.
    I shot an email to them so maybe they know of an adapter to fix the problem.

8. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

http://www.classicperform.com/Instructions/PDF/LS1.pdf

Here is a link to an adapter plate for the LS1 to allow you to use standard SBC engine mounts. I highly recommend using the mounts made by Energy Suspension. I don't know if this setup will match your frame, however, if you need to cut off the mounts and start again, this is the way I would go.

9. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thanks wildearp, but those adapters are to make an LS1 bolt to and old style rubber mount.
    My problem is that I had the frame set up for an LS1 already and am putting an old style block in it.
    Talked to Cory at Pete and Jakes and he sent me a diagram of where the new mounts should go for my block so I have to cut them off and move them forward a couple of inches.
    Sure wish the frame wasn't painted already.

10. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Better just put the LS1 in it! You would love it.

11. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

To late for that

12. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Finally got the new mounts installed and painted and here are a few pics to show the progress.
    Had to move them forward about 3".

Attached Files: