Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old MGs as Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Uh.....no........When the cars we adore and now call traditional were current gay meant happy............................oh for simpler times...........:cool:

2. Not traditional, huh? From the April, 1960 issue of Rod Builder magazine (sorry, I don't have a scanner). Dick Ruzzin's 'Vette powered TD (with 3x2 intake) that included future funny car racer Roy Steffey as co-builders. They started this project in '57!
    [​IMG]

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry Warpspeed, no its YOUR post that suggests that its "not traditional". Maybe you meant something else?

4. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

It is I that needs to apologize, I badly misread your post.
    Sorry Falcongeorge.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You can go back alot farther than this, Cadillac-Allards were winning road-races in the US in 1950.

6. When I lived in Utah there was a yellow MGTD with a small block Chevy in it. Don't remember a lot about it, that was late 60's
    do remember that I really liked it though

7. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I think there's a distinction between "traditional" and "unorthodox". American engines in foreign cars like Fiats, Anglias, MGs and Austin-Healeys among others, weren't what most guys were doing in the 50s and 60s, but there were plenty of cars running that swap. Unless you were around back then, you might not remember the hostility between sports car guys and hot rod guys. But some guys, like Doane Spencer, Carroll Shelby and Max Balchowsky understood the advantages of American power in a good handling chassis.

8. I suppose if we were talking about Cad-Allards (or Ford-Allards, or Chrysler-Allards) that would be a valid point. I thought MG's were the topic.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  9. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

there was one i saw a few years ago at the nostalgia drags at willowbank in australia A.H. SPRITEnearly same as M.G. MIDGET Ran like a scalded cat any other aussies remember that one It was an older build

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rick,
    I don't remember any hostility per se, just mostly the stupid American attitude about anything foreign made. Them cheap, tiny "ferrin" cars just weren't taken seriously until they started lapping other racers. Remember when Brabham came to Indy? No, he didn't win, but he sure opened up some minds about what was possible. The reason I've always liked sports cars is that they are more 3D - go, corner and stop. Hot rod racing is pretty much 1D - go only. Nobody cares about cornering or stopping until the track runs out. I LOVE the 50's road racing hot rod specials and sports cars in general, too. I wish I knew more about them. All "Specials" are cool in my book, oval, hot rod or road racer. Let the best thinkers and builder's win! Isn't it time for someone to start up the CanAM again?!?!?! Later, Gary

11. ^^^ What he said! ^^^

12. Hey Benno, knew I'd see ya' on this thread...

got to wipe the drool off my keyboard, though.

BTW, I've had that TD body for a couple years now, and I still don't like musicals, wear pink, or fuck other men yet. How 'bout you?

Yeah, didn't think you did, either.

Back to the cars...

-Bill

13. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

The article I used for my 60hp TD came from a May '56 Hot Rod magazine. LOTs of figuring out between the lines. Marvin,ct

Attached Files:

14. BBMan

BBMan

In '68 I test drove a '59 Bug Eye Sprite I was thinking of buying. Had a 327 and powerglide in it. Scared the hell out of me. Didn't buy it.

15. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Thanks for the link - guess I should have thought about posting that one myself seeing as it's my website!

Regards

Jon'.

16. Probly Richard Johnson's from Fiasco Automotive/Dyno Tuning circa mid 70's

17. My memory is getting bad but I saw this MG several months ago. I just can't remember where. It is based on an MG. Maybe someone else can fill in the details.
    [​IMG]

After paint:
    [​IMG]

18. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

i do not like the look of them . but if they are light and fast get at em . leave the others for me:)

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I remember seeing these pix, too. VERY nice build and combination of parts by my way of thinking. Gary

20. If it was the late '60s and was in the West Valley there was one owned by the young wrench who worked at the Chevron station on the corner of Ventura Bl. and Canoga Ave. In the early to mid '60s he ran a '56 Chev 150 (maybe 210), dark green with T-bird buckets, wicked small block and 4 speed. He had a hard time keeping his license........something or other about street racing.:D He finally tired of that car and built the TD with a small block, I think it was BRG also. His name was Chuck, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name (hate CRS), but I remember he lived in Topanga Canyon. One of the best wrenches I've ever known.

21. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

22. Bungi

Bungi

Heres one ofmy back burner projects, 70's MG Midget, 215 aluminum Buick with 5 speed.... This is an old pic, starting to finish the firewall and trans tunnel.

[​IMG]

Later
    Rick Bender

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

While crusing thru the Mar 2010 Hot Rod deluxe this eve, I noticed a 35mm proof sheet reprint on pages 46-47 of shots taken at the '58 NHRA Nats in Oklahoma. At least two MGs and four other sporty cars were making laps. Lots of white T shirts, too. Gary

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

there was a young "gay" kid in 1956, although we didn't use that term then...
    We called them "rocket boys"! True story, San Jose, Calif., 1955-56.

25. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Not a "T series", but MGA's can be cool too! This one hauled ass at Maple Grove last year.(or maybe it was Cecil County...can't remember)

Attached Files:

26. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Richard Johnson's ran a Rat motor....

27. Den49cpe

Den49cpe

I haven`t seen one of these cars in a long time but a friend had one in 1970. It was fenderless and I don`t think it had a hood. V8 powered. There`s an enjoyable fiction book about rebuilding and racing these cars. "The Red Car". I read it about 50 yrs ago. Good luck finding what you are seeking.