Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Guy, New to the board

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 64 DODGE 440, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hello everyone, I guess you could say I'm a 60 year old "new kid".

Been playing with cars since 1962 when I got my first ride, a 1950 Studebaker Commander 4dr for $25.00. Had to rebuild the engine before I ever drove it as the previous owner ran it out of oil.

First hot rod was a '53 Ford K/Gasser that several of us built and ran at the old San Gabriel Drag strip. had a lot of fun and got infected with drag racing with that flathead.

Always liked the gassers and loved the early "Match Race" altered wheelbase A/FX cars, which is the direction my '64 is heading, money and time permitting, but recently found out about the HA/GR cars from a friend and really like the idea of old style drag cars running vintage inlines and V8s.

Putting the fun back into running the drags and returning to the roots of the sport seems like a great idea and may give me a great way to get my son and granddaughter involved too.

Guess it's just nice to know that the "good old days" still live on in the hot rod world.

2. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

Welcome Tom, To The Hamb.

Rafa.

3. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

welcome from cadillac dave.....my first ride [in my dad's junk yard ] was a 54 ford it was 1958-59 ish. had a ball till i caught my mom's picnic table with my rear bumper, sent it in the air....and dad junked the 54.......i was 8 or nine years old.....working on a 53 ford now....glad you are on the h.a.m.b. ..cadillac dave

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Our '53 Gasser was built from a hand me down Victoria 2dr ht, 239" flattie with 3 Stromberg 97s, Offy heads, and a Kenny Harmon cam. Home ported and relieved and ran pretty strong. Basically gutted the car, had a single aircraft bucket seat and the front fenders and hood were bolted together and lifted off in one piece. Every time we ran the car through tech they would say if anybody protested us to just pack up and go home, but everybody else was running the same kind of stuff and it was more of a case of "run what ya brung", and we all had fun.

Guess thats why i always liked the Match Race cars, 'cause there weren't a lot of rules and the racing was great.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, they told most of us that back then. Still recall an N/S "torpedo" Chev with some 2x4s holding the broken seatback up so's I could drive'er.

Guess you "older" geezers are welcome ........ :p

Sorry, dude. Just couldn't resist. :D
    How's it hangin', Tom?

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Doin' OK. One of these days we need to go for a ride again like the old days. Miss the old hang outs, but we still have fun.

From one "old geezer" to another....... :p