Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old drag strips texas, name them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinker51, Jan 26, 2009.

1. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

2. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

thanks for the info. those pict. looks right.
    charles

3. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

I'd like to hear more about the Hallsville, I-20, and Whitehouse tracks. Those are the ones I went to when I was (alot) younger.;)

4. smittystoys

smittystoys

this is my car at greenvalley in the early 70s 283 4 speed 6.13 12bolt

5. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

There was another track in the D/FW area called "Greater Southwest" (the year would have been about 1972 or 73 as D/FW had just opened) it was located on one of the abandoned runways at the old Amon Carter airport at the intersection of present day Airport Freeway and Hi-way 360. just to the S. of the present day D/FW airport. Seems to me there were only a couple of races held there due to the promoter skipping out and not paying the racers. There was also one race held on one of the runways at the General Dynamics plant in N. Ft.Worth just to the S. of I-820 in the 80's. Anyone remember the B-36 bomber that set in front of the terminal building at the old Amon Carter airport for years? That is the first airport i ever flew out of in a DC-3 and the year was 1953, damn that makes me old. I also remember going to Amon Carter with my mom to drop off and pickup my dad when he flew out on business trips. I still remember the sound of those big radial engined DC-3's DC-6's and DC-7's that American Airlines used in those days.

Getting into Green Valley from the North from Hwy. 114 you probably cut off on Whites Chapel Rd. S. to Hwy 1709 (AKA Keller Hwy) then West or right to Davis Blvd then left on Davis Blvd. and then right on the Rd. (don't remember name) that ran in front of Spanky McFarlands house (Spanky of Our Gang fame) (O'Tay Panky)and then left on the road that ran in front of the track and the track was on the left. If you came in from the S. from Grapevine Hwy. on Davis Blvd. you would turn left on (again don't remember name) and that took you right by the end od the track and you could see the catch nets on the right, then the road curved to the right and the track was on the right. Also there was no sand trap at Green Valley just the catch nets made from heavy cable. The last turn off at the Valley was right at the top of the hill and you could very clearly see the Catch nets.

I will when I have more time tell the story of the 55 gallon barrell at Whitehouse and getting very oiled in at Dallas International and also the win slip I received running against Ken H. (AKA Legs) after red lighting at Dallas International. And I may also tell the story of the giant wheel stand At Green Valley at the Nationals against a car named the Cherry Bomb, a dragster out of Corpus if I remember correctly. Another story would be when I made the 10 o'clock D/FW news complete with video of the fireworks I created due to a tremendous engine explosion in a dual engine dragster on the starting line, talk about people scattering. Some of my fondest memories are from my FED days and nights at the Valley, suited up in my old silver Deist fire suit and fire mask with no breathers, strapped in and waiting to be pushed off as soon as the National anthem finished playing.

Charles F. I picked a copy of your video at the reunion in December and added a sound track to it, if you want a copy PM your address and I will mail you a copy. Or next time down at Dearmores place I will stop by and hand deliver it to you.

408 AA/D

6. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

thanks 408 aa/d
    the only reason there is no music on these dvd's i don't have to pay royalty to ascap or bmi. great feed back too on the strips.

thanks charles

7. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

i here there was two strips in hallsville, tyler had two i here.
    any feedback on these two.
    charles

8. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

9. what tracks are featured in the videos??

10. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Charles, I understand what you are saying.

I've been rehashing some old times this A.M. with one of your dads old friends wbrw32

408 AA/D

11. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

The one Tinker51 put together has Caddo Mills, Green Valley, Houston, OK City(not Sand Valley), Eagle Mountain and Great Bend KS. Years 1957 to 1965

The footage I'm working on has Green Valley, Dallas International, Amarillo, Frederick OK (Cherokee Raceway) and OK City (Sand Valley) mid 60's to early 70's

408 AA/D

12. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Charles, I don't remember another track at Hallsville or at Tyler, but that being said there certainly could have been.

I remember the Whitehouse track very well, but could not locate it today, its been too many years and roads and landmarks change.

The old Grapevine dragstrip is now covered by a mall. The old Irving dragstrip was off of N. Beltline Rd. N. of Irving and East at a crossroad (don't remember name of crossroad) The track was on the right about 1/8 to 1/4 mile after you turned right off of Beltline Rd.

13. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

14. Larry T

Larry T

Do you have much of Cherokee? It was where I went in the mid to late 60's (spectator as a "kid") and raced/helped at the track in the 70's when it reopened for a couple of years.
    Larry T

15. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

Caddo, green valley, mt creek in ft worth, hou., ok city natl., gread bends natl., all from 57-65
    thanks check the misa. adds for the thread.
    charles

16. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

When was this? We used to cruise all the time between George's XXX and Buddy's a quarter mile north -- with a stoplight in between, though! Lots of shutdown room further out F'bg Rd before you get to Balcones Hts which was (still is) a major speed trap. Used to run there regularly '59-60-61...
    Fearless

17. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Yep -- Old Starcrest became Little Green Valley after about 11 at nite. It's now Thousand Oaks between Wetmore Rd and Jones Maltsberger.
    Fearless

18. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

bttp For the night shift

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There were TWO Hallsville dragstrips, the first ran downhill and was about a mile south of the second and final Hallsville Dragstrip. The Whitehouse strip became a lumber yard and was at least partly covered by buildings when I was there 82-84. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

I probably have 10 to 15 minutes of footage from Cherokee. It has some good footage of the timing trailer, the track and racing footage.

408 AA/D

21. Larry T

Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. SuperStockSpoiler

SuperStockSpoiler
    from Mass

Tinker, hello I am new to the board and am trying to find out some info on a car. Would you by chance remember a 1970 Mercury Cyclone campaigned in super stock by possibly Holiday Lincoln Mercury in the Fort Worth Texas area back in 1970? The car was orange with a black stripe down the hood roof and trunk. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  23. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

24. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

i do not remember that car but some of the others might help out there.
    was there any markings like strips or names on the car?
    thanks charles

25. SuperStockSpoiler

SuperStockSpoiler
    from Mass

Charles, thank you for responding. The car was orange with a single black stripe from nose to deck lid and stripes down each side about 3 inches wide. As far as I know the car was sponsored by Holiday Lincoln Mercury in Fort Worth and suspect that it would have been painted or had a decal applied to announce this. I spoke with one of the original owners a gentleman by the name of Butch (James) Hingdon who still lives in the area, he purchased the car from a guy named Paul (Last Name Unknown). Would appreciate any insight from any of the board members. Thanks.

Bill

26. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

can anyone help this guy? i did not know that many with doors. and this is about tracks but we will see if anyone can i.d. this car.
    charles

27. A little off topic but I was hoping some of you old Texas drag racers could help me. I'm trying to track information on the Hemphill - McCombs T-bolt from San Antonio. It was driven by Raleigh Abner. I was wondering if it could possibly be the Wickersham Ford T-bolt that was driven by Clester Andrews later or if they were two seperate cars? Does anyone have any info or photos of either car? Does anyone know where they are today? Thanks

28. SuperStockSpoiler

SuperStockSpoiler
    from Mass

Charles, thank you for giving the nod to try and ID the car. I hope that it does not through the idea behind the board off track. Any suggestions on finding some door slamers that raced back then might help as well. Thanks.

Bill

29. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

we have another that needs our help troulbemaker427 and superstockspoiler are looking for help on cars they have up north, don't hold it against them because there yankees, at lest they have texas old cars and restoreing them.

thanks charles

30. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.