Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Old Devil" 32 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

2. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

3. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I had to convert it from 12 volt back to 6 volt positive ground I bet that doesn't happen very much.

4. Looks great!!!

birdog likes this.
  5. Pete

Pete

YOUR BACK!!!!! Love this car.

birdog likes this.
  6. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thanks! Its nice to be back!

Atwater Mike, Denns1989 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences on the loss of of your Grandpa...Quite an emotional situation of tuggin at the heartstrings I'm sure.

Keep on detailing your Jalopy Hotrod and sharing the details.

Good to see you back with Ole Bluey...;)

volvobrynk and Late to the Party like this.
  8. Hey bird sorry to hear about your grandpa. My heart gos out to you and your family. Get that new motor in and go bang some gears for him. I'm sure He is there every night hotrodding your car while you sleep no doubt about it. Good score on the motor. And you get a ahhhdaaah boyyyyyyyyyy on getting her back to 6v. There's nothing better sounding than a 6v flattie starting up. Keep us posted and shoot a video of it running so we can hear the sweet sound on that flattie. Take care

Nailhead A-V8 and birdog like this.
  9. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I always find these hotly debated threads interesting car hobbyists seem to come out of two camps conservators and innovators. I know what I would love to do if I found a "barn find" '50's Hot Rod '32 roadster I would leave it exactly as is (except anything unsafe) because to me the history is just as important as the car itself. When the people who built raced and put their heart and soul into them are gone only the cars will be left to tell the story. More than a few bad ass pure hot rods were cut up sanitized and turned into pale images of themselves in the'80's-'90's and what the hell happened to the 10's of thousands of interesting engines that were built in the '50's-60's? Cadillac, Olds , buick, studebaker etc. Where'd they all go? Someone decided they were irrelevant took them to the dump and stuck in a sbc that's what!.... However an innovator might see a shiny black, flamed, deuce roadster with a red and chrome flathead mill, red rims, wide whites, and a checker board firewall sitting there waiting for $10,000 worth of repro panels. Although a fucking cool car, is that really an innovation? or a clone of a car already done a thousand times? I view an old car as a time machine the closer it is to the way it was built, the easier it is to pass through that time tunnel into the '50's

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right the way up to 65...;)

Birdog gets it...no doubt about it.

Theres a beer company up here and its slogan is "100 years behind the times and proud of it".

brEad, Mikel50, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  11. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thanks man can't wait tell we cruise our roadsters together one day!!

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  12. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

You got it man there is a feeling to an old hot rod and that's what draws me to it. Something I am not sure I can explain but once you feel it there is no turning back it's addictive.

Nailhead A-V8, Denns1989 and Stogy like this.
  13. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

this is one of the best proportioned roadsters I've seen in a long time..
    perfection... very cool...:cool:

14. Oh hell ya. Utah not that far from California. I see a great hotrod gathering coming soon of true real hotrods. The gods have spoken and we must listen. El mirage the holy grounds.

birdog and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  15. And bonniville is closer to you so it will happen.

16. catdad49

catdad49

Sorry to hear about Granpa Vern, he was a hot rodder to the end. Hope you are doing ok.

birdog, Nailhead A-V8 and The37Kid like this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice score on the motor! Although the guy who put an LS and twenty something wheels on that poor old ford oughta have his frigging head examined.

18. Sorry about your grandpa man. You have done a great job with the roadster. Such a great car!

volvobrynk and birdog like this.
  19. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thanks for posting all those pictures of your wonderful car. I really enjoy looking at them.

birdog likes this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yours is one of the best cars here maybe the best. Good score on the engine it looks right at home. I enjoy seeing what you do with it and every picture brings a smile.
    Sorry about you grandpa. Glad you had him as long as you did. Loosing our Fore-Rodders is a double whammy deal. We lose all they take with them, much we didn't learn and whether we like it or not it moves us one step closer to the finish line. At some point we have to accept that we are now the Grandpas and decimate wisdom accordingly. :(:cool:

21. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thanks for everyone's kind words! It really means a lot to me! My grandpa used to have a set of early edelbrock heads he bought back in the late forties with an intake he ran them on his car and when he sold it he pulled them off and hung them on the wall. I remember seeing them as a kid. About 15 years ago he sold them to a friend for like 75$ we were kind of mad but at the same time we weren't running any flathead at that time. When u picked up my roadster I started asking lots of questions and about a year ago I finally got him to tell me his friends name lol. I then hunted him down and found out he had passed away and his estate was in lock down while the family figured it out. He owned a large construction company and there was some issues with the kids. Long story short after my grandpa passed last month I hunted down the son that I heard got all the car parts. I called him up and he said I think I know which ones you are talking about but they are packed in a storage unit. And I will be more then happy to work with ya to get them back. I am pretty stoked and trying to be optimistic I am sure they will be more then 75$ lol but I would kill to get them back and run them on my car.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This story keeps on getting better and better. Positive ions say its going to be good. I can just imagine the feelings you will have holding on to them again. Perhaps this will amount to an even bigger event...I mean there is a connection to this story which does add an some precedence to a future transaction. It does pay to follow up on things.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Hopefully he does the right thing and sells you the parts for a reasonable price. Good luck.

birdog likes this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

This story just keeps getting better and seems as though your stars are in alignment (that's a good thing). Gramps is still looking out for you, but you must be patient, Grasshopper. Nothin' but positive waves!

birdog and volvobrynk like this.
  25. elgringo71

elgringo71

I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get his old heads back and the roadster is something that you two will always share and have made memories together with it. From your stories it sounds like it made him just as happy as it makes you.

birdog likes this.
  26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I love the story with this car. You are doing right by picking up the cast offs from other peoples cars. My Dad back in the early 60's picked up lots of A banger motors when they were being taken out. There is 9 stacked up in the back of the garage. Too bad he didn't collect Flatheads like the As. Keep us posted on progress!

birdog likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Your car needs those heads. If the guy is not as good to you as your Grandpa was to his dad let us know if you need a little help. Don't let them get away.:)

The37Kid likes this.
  28. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Thanks six ball I hope he does as well I called him again and apparently there is another appeal going on that is going to tie up everything for a couple more months. But he said once its over he would get me taken care of! so I will hope and pray that it all get resolved. I appreciate everybody kind comments and the compliments. I am not a huge VIVA guy but me and my wife won a trip to Vegas and the only reason I would ever want to go to Vegas is for a car show. So if anyone is headed there this year let me know so we can tag up!

Stogy likes this.
  29. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2647.JPG Well she is up and running with the new motor still need to do some dialing in. And I need to figure out how to post a video of it on here.

30. Pete

Pete

So sinister!

birdog likes this.