Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Old Crow Bonneville report. "Banger Carnage"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

It was not a good Speedweek for the old Henry Ford 4 cyl. The Banger Gods were not shining their blessings down upon us. We'll not all of us anyway.
    The Old Crow took off like a rocket on her first run and hit 165 mph at the first mile, but it appears the stock cast iron bellhousing couldn't take the torque and decided to desecrate instead. We tried to fix it, but the shrapnel took out too many parts. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

The So-What racing team had it worse than us. Also on their very first run, and not even to the 1 mile, this happened:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is,.. or was... A Winfield head. Bummer huh?

Speaking if heads,.. The Vaughan Quick & Easy team didn't have much luck keeping their head together either:
    [​IMG]
    Let's hope they brought a spare, I hear the motor is fine.

I also heard that the R2 racing team of Richard Reed has 2 rods hanging out the side of their block, but I couldn't find them to take a picture. Anybody got one?

Well. That's all the news that fit to print. Please add more if you got any.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Wow, makes me wana leave my 4cyl parked for a little while... somethings after them!
    Will you guys be back later in the year to try again?

Zach

3. That poor head.:(

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Carnage is sad but kinda fun at the same time. Some thing about the outrage of even trying to go fast with cantankerous old stuff, and the nobility of it giving it's all...

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Its all fun and games till some one breaks something... Man the run must of been
    fun in the tank... I bet you pooped a little in your racing suit.

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Sorry to see that guys. That thing had awesome potential !

7. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

8. Ouch! :eek:

Sorry your Speed Week was cut short ... but on a positive note, you guys have to be stoked about the 157.574 mph @ the 1 Mile marker (and the 165 mph before it broke).

Once you get it all sorted out, you guys should have no trouble bumping up the V4/BGL record that you set last year (137.289 mph).

At Bonneville, sometimes you have to "go backwards" before you can "go forward":

Offerings to the God of Speed.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. big creep

big creep

fuck that blows bobby!!!!! i hope you hit it next time!

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ohhh, nooooo......

""Steve Austin, astronaut, a man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the worlds first Bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster."

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I figure if you don't blow anything up you were'nt trying hard enough.

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Damn...look at that block!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

DAMN!!! Are you guys heading home now or staying the rest of the week? You'll get it next year guys.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

What did you guys change to increase the speed so much? I'm curious.

15. banjorear

banjorear

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Something was good with the 4 cly. mojo. Didn't someone offer up an 8 cly. to keep the gods happy?

16. so are you putting a new flywheel housing on it and trying again
    tk

17. Atleast all we lost was a cam! Damn that hurts!

18. 296ardun

296ardun

I really admire all you guys who run old engines and old speed equipment, maybe it blows up and is lost, but I think that is better than it sitting in some display case, never to run again....

19. Racing = "The Ultimate Test Of The WEAKEST LINK" !!! Sorry for your bad luck !!! >>>>.

20. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Bigger. Better. Faster. Had a great time again Bobby.....with the exception of the carnage. Can't wait til next year and see what she'll do in the whole 3 miles.

21. JAWS

JAWS

22. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

You guys will be back!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn do you have any more of Lucky pushing Bobby in his new truck? I am dying to see that thing on the Salt.

24. doctorZ

doctorZ

bobby,
    thanks again for letting us use your welder. you saved the day! too bad we cracked our block on the first run. who would have thought flatheads don't like 20 + lbs. of boost when running on fuel!?
    -rob

25. Clutched

Clutched

Damn Damn Damn....but 165....that IS rad!

26. Shit Bobby! sorry to hear you had bad luck this year. Was hoping to see you here. Had a couple of spins today, one on its roof. Hope I can catch up with you before I leave the US

Cheers
    Jimmy
    ps build a chev banger :D

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch, but at least it went out in a blaze of glory. It looks like a few of those parts need their place of honor on the wall.

That head, damage and all will be the source of stories for years to come hanging up on their shop wall.

28. that sucks, You'll get her fixed and try , try , again.. best of luck, sorry to see that.

29. Having been on a team that blowed up more that a couple Arduns back in teh 80's, I feel your pain.

30. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Well, Last year we only sacrificed 2 chickens to the God Mercury, This year ? We went for a whole Goat.... Much better.

Of course,... But this time were making a Steel one. Were going back in October.

Ouch !!! Did you ever hurt the heads? Or just the block?