Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old car quotes from days gone bye

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Mar 7, 2013.

1. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

"That's the first and last fuckin foreign car I will ever own" - Dad after driving a new XKE for a year in '64.

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must be getting selfish in my old(er) age!:eek:

Just how do you start a chev truck with the silver dollar?

Doc.

3. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Actually it was in the early sixties. Ford wanted a car that was more of a Corvair and VW fighter than the Falcon, so they designed a simple little two-door sedan with a V-4 and front-wheel drive that was initially called Cardinal, then Redwing. It was ready for production for 1963, but they pulled the plug at the last minute due to, as you said, too narrow a profit margin and also because the Falcon was selling just fine. Instead, the car became the new German Taunus 12M and sold quite well in Europe for many years:
    [​IMG]
    Kinda plain, but it might be fun to see how it would look as a RWD gasser...

4. My dad about his 48 Nash- "wouldnt go downhill with a tail wind!"

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I was surprised to know that the first drive-in gas station opened in Pittsburgh in 1913.

Anybody what company it was???

6. Leakie

Leakie

Gulf

7. I have always liked the statement, "Dodge for dependability." it has always been true for me.

8. Splinter

Splinter

Woman's axiom-"If it has tires or testicles, it will give you trouble"

9. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

They don't make like they used to.

Twitter @edsrodshop

10. spiders web

spiders web

It wasn't Enzo. Carrol Shelby said that to Enzo after beating him at Le Man in 64. He also suggested to Enzo he should get use to looking at the Cobras taillights as that was to be his only view of it from that race on!

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody out there know the real source of the word JALOPY or maybe even give it a definition???

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I heard that in California in the twenties, dealers and wholesalers would send their unwanted used cars to Mexico. The big marketplace was Jalapa. This got corrupted into Jalopy. So any old unwanted car became a Jalopy.

Later.............

Did a search for Jalapa aka Xalapa. Capitol of the state of Veracruz. It is a long way from the US and is on the Gulf coast. So I am doubtful of it being a major market for American cars.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. turdytoo

turdytoo

"Gettin scratch" was cool but "Boilin the hydes" was awesome.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

15. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Speaking of VW not worth anything back then. British auto car giant British Leyland, said after WWII that: VW company would never succeed.

Today British Leyland is gone and VW owns Rolls Royce.

Ago

16. Didn't need a key......Just stick the coin, screwdriver, whatever in the slot and go...

"He drives a Duesenberg"

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Or at the solenoid...

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

what does mt mean52]My Grandfather used to say "A Mercury is just a Ford with the bolts tightened".[/QUOTE]

That's funny my buddies and I say a GMC is a Chevy with lock washers.

19. Thats what they said in fact it was the code for a high speed law inforsment use only. :eek:

20. I always liked, its got a full race cam. mine is only a 1/4 race i need gas milage.

21. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Dodge ... Darn Old Dude Goes Everywhere

Ford....... Fix Or Repair Daily or F....d Over Road Disaster or F....d Over Rundown Dodge

GMC...... Gods Mechanical Curse

LTD.........Ladies Trash From Detroit

Packard.. Ask The Man Who Owns One

Pontiac .. Poor Old Negro Thinks It's A Cadillac

Probably not exactly what you were looking for............................

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  22. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

To finish first, you must first finish. Juan Manuel Fangio

Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second. – Bobby Unser

The winner ain’t the one with the fastest car, it’s the one who refuses to lose – Dale Earnhardt

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Not a quote, but something a buddy sent me that I found interesting all the same from days gone by...

CAR TRIVIA about FDR
    Hours after the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941, the Secret Service found themselves in a bind. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was to give a speech to a joint session of Congress the next day, and although the trip from the White House to Capitol Hill was short, agents weren’t sure how to transport him safely.

At the time, Federal Law prohibited buying any cars that cost more than $750, so they would have to get clearance from Congress to do that, and nobody had time for that.

One of the Secret Service members, however, discovered that the US Treasury had seized the bulletproof car that mobster Al Capone owned when he was sent to jail in 1931. They cleaned it, made sure it was running fine and had it ready for the President the day after.

And run properly it did. Capone's car was a sight to behold. It had been painted black and green so as to look identical to Chicago ’s police cars at the time. It also had a specially installed siren and flashing lights hidden behind the grille, along with a police scanner radio.

To top it off, the gangster’s 1928 Cadillac 341A Town Sedan had 3,000 pounds of armor and inch-thick bulletproof windows. Mechanics are said to have cleaned and checked each feature of the Caddy well into the night of December 7th, to make sure that it would run properly the next day for the Commander in Chief.

The car was sold at an auction price of $341,000 in 2012.

24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Rufus Parnelli Jones once said, if you are in control of the car, you are not going fast enough".

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Sorry to spoil a good story but there were official White House limousines at least as far back as 1920. Pierce Arrows were used until the company went out of business, then they switched to Lincolns.

Roosevelt's official limo in 1941 was a 1939 Lincoln V12 with body by Brunn.

Another source says that this car was not armored when it was first built, it was sent back to the factory to be rebuilt with armor plating and other improvements. While it was out of commission the ex Capone Cadillac was used.

The rebuilt 39 Lincoln was updated with 1942 front sheet metal during the rebuild. It became known as the Sunshine Special.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Carrol Shelby's opinion of English sports cars:"they build these nice cars and spoil them with a 1918 taxicab engine". Cruel but not far wrong.

He had the idea he could build a better sports car by taking out the '1918 taxicab engine' and putting in a Chev V8.

He heard in 1961 that the AC company was about to go out of business because they couldn't get engines for their cars. So he went and made a deal to buy cars with no engines. Chev didn't want to give him a deal because they didn't want competition for the Corvette but Ford was on their Total Performance kick and were willing to do anything to get their name on a sports car especially if they did not have to take responsibility for it.

27. rollie

rollie

guy I worked for used to say..."couldn't pull a sick whore off a toilet seat"

28. OldColt

OldColt

I've got a four on the floor and a fifth under the seat.

29. Jiminy

Jiminy

I always liked "I've got 4 on the floor and a 5th under the seat".

30. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I don't know about Chevy's but, I had to move several diesel R Mack's one time and rather than bother getting the keys, i just jumped the starter solenoid with a quarter.