Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old Car Commute = Low Stress Driving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Latigo

Latigo

Just got to say it....Retired and no commute. Best of both worlds. However I did use a '54 Chevy as a Daily driver for years, but in small town Oregon. Don't know how you city folk do it.

wicarnut likes this.
  2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Another day of commuting the '39 today. No problems except that apparently its cold outside. Had to play with the choke the whole way. Probably time to unplug the heat risers...

3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I drive my hot rod at 'normal' speed limits on any backroad I can find...but, I can't keep up with 70 - 80 mph on the interstates and that madness to get to work ....and in my little hot rod...not sure I would even survive the aerodynamics! I like to drive my car, but ....hoo boy, it's a real challenge in the daily commute with the stampede of cars edging me every which way...white knuckle driving to be sure....fortunately, it's only about 10 miles of Interstate, and the rest ''normal'' driving..................... 249f0f6bd659014e672393650681dcdc.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Bruce Fischer and wicarnut like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That might work in "older" places in the US, or in the middle of the country.

It does not work in most populated areas in California, home of the "planned community".

I used to be able to make my 30-minute commute in New England by any of 60 viable permutations. Almost every single road went somewhere. If it did not, it was liberally identified that it did not.

Here in California, you can hop on a promising road that heads East, drive for 30 minutes, and find yourself at a fence, mountain, cliff, large body-of-water, or back where you began.

In many cases, the freeway was dropped right on the same roadbed as the old county road, leaving no alternative route whatsoever, for anyone. Every see a protected bicycle and pedestrian lane on a freeway?

As densely populated as it is here, there are still huge swaths that are preserved as open spaces, and much of the uninhabited terrain is quite rugged.

5. old1946truck

old1946truck

WP_20141226_17_11_07_Pro.jpg I like to drive mine to work the before a holiday. Absolutely no traffic and I don't take the interstate. Now if only I can finish replacing the trunk pan this weekend I will be able to drive it Wednesday and Friday next week.

6. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

ALL my old junk is geared to run in the fast lane at 70+ to outrun the SoCal riff-raff, AND can accerate on a on ramp to 60 to merge with freeway traffic - even the 235-six in my '57 Chevy! A 4-speed helps a TON... :)

Third brake lights are a MUST for urban areas. Made my first one for $10 - a beehive clearance light mounted inside a cut-down chrome balony exhaust tip. 2nd one was a NOS '54 Chevy truck tail light, wired for a 1157 bulb - with the inside painted silver-aluminum, it is BRIGHT!!! Both lights mounted on the package tray of my '57's.

HOW BRIGHT are your tail/brake lights in daylight? Wash off the dust inside the lenses, paint the housings with silver-aluminum paint... no such thing as TOO BRIGHT! Check your lights frequently - not a week goes by on my commute that I see one or two burned out... I ALWAYS use hand signals - even on cold nights, and turn signals too.

Everyone around San Diego drives with their windows up, some with earbuds in... thus one needs 'shit yer pants' horns when people don't look... I run dual Caddy horns, but 12 volts through a 6v horn works well I've herd. NO horn too LOUD!

My classic insurance frounds on me using my '57s for communiting, but LOVE the days that I fudge... just have to be really HEADS UP in traffic for dumbasses! -Tim

7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

My commute today....LOL well my gravel road off the main highway
    My drive the other day,

Attached Files:

8. LostBoy

LostBoy

I daily drive my 61 corvair sedan in central NJ. I take one exit on the turnpike or other highways. The turnpike in the morning is a minimum of 65 and even then you might get slammed. I try to do 70ish. I'm born and raised here, it blows. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but people seem to get even more retarded when there is an old car present. To your point, if I ever get a Lakewood wagon I will take my time and make it a weekend car. The sedan is rough enough to not worry about. I actually think it stops pretty damn good on the factory drums with all new hydraulics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck64 and clunker like this.
  9. cfmvw

cfmvw

There were a few times in the past when I had to press my '60 VW into daily driver service. With a healthy 1776, close-ratio 5 speed, four-wheel disc brakes, and a third brake light (those small taillights can be hard to see), it will keep up with (and often outrun) traffic...something that tends to upset/anger some drivers. People have a rather condescending attitude towards VW's; I've had people tailgate me even when I'm going well over the speed limit, cut me off, and even run me off the road on a couple of occasions. On the other hand, I'm very patient when I come across a HAMB-era vehicle in traffic, as I can appreciate what they are driving and the limits of their vehicle.

LostBoy likes this.
  10. I've got a cool old barge, it's designed to cruise at 90 or 100 mph low rpm, and the old drums stop the 5000lb beast really well (they just have to be adjusted and broken in). Same mpg as a big suv. Around town, it chugs along at idle.
    It's a survivor, not a resto, so when my kids crawl all over it or we drive through a slush puddle in the winter it just gives it more character. If anyone ever runs into us their car will probably crumple into a pancake. We dig it. The drivers around here are anything but low stress, but we are pretty mellow... IMG_1479648221.472329.jpg

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

To my way of thinking any sort of commute is to be avoided at all costs if possible. Gotta do what ya gotta do but spending days and weeks (or more) of my natural born life stuck in traffic is just nuts.

Always just liked poking along on back roads, dirt or gravel even better. I suppose with GPS and all that it isn't such a mystery anymore. But with a good map, and an airguide compass mounted to the windshield that was a handy dingus, a way to make sure I was pointed in the right direction, more or less, and see where the road leads. Gravel or dirt makes manual steering gears nearly as easy power steering, and a whole lot quieter. No whining pumps or belts.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 30 mile (47K) one way commute to work. I avoid if possible freeways even with the daily (to much hustle and bustle). Everyday there are buttock heads. The odd time I can earn that award:eek: As others have said read them as best as you can and react.
    I do go out of my way to take lah dee dah routes with the Hotrod as I try to make it fun. Even the direct country small city route is pretty uneventful. Many disturbing trends in driving going on these days.

I start early and work a little later as a rule and that puts me out of peak traffic to some degree.

My car is fairweather ride so it limits my days of Hotrod fun but I get my opportunities.

So yeah when I jump in the Hotrod or Daily I try to keep it casual and let the wild ones terrorize each other in front or behind. Its always quite the shit show and many times you have mild neck strain from shakin your head.

I am not a traffic turtle either. They are another menace.

So everyone be patient and drive safe...I like the sticker in the window on the Hotrod Psycho Equipped...thats part of the medicine :D
    So in answer to the stress the Hotrod does pacify my commute
    and funify it...

Psycho.jpg
    This helps...;)

Made_it.jpg
    Fun IN_Fun OUT​

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Bruce Fischer and clunker like this.
  13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This thread so reminds me of a family friend who lives in North Florida.His daily commute is 400 miles round trip.Its very low key and stress free.Year wise it is very HAMB friendly vehicle.Its an AT6 Texan WW2 trainer.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. LostBoy

LostBoy

I call that moped syndrome. Back in high school we had mopeds and no matter how punched out and fast they were people felt the need to ride up our asses and pass us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

My hats are off to you Guys who can take the old heaps and ride along bumper to bumper at 70-80 mph.
    In my case, don't think I would last long, yes my brakes are okay, yes I have a 12 volt set of very bright brake lights, but sustaining speeds over 70 mph, hmm don't think so, infact my truck prefers 60-65 much better and so do I.
    I would have to do the following to stay in the 70-80 mph club,
    - upgrade to disc brakes
    - rebuild my springs, bushings, hangers etc,
    - rebuild steering box, king pins etc
    -install anti-sway bars front and rear would help
    - rebuild engine, to gain more hp and to allow it to handle more sustained abuse
    -Install a more modern overdrive trans, A833 comes to mind
    I feel this would perhaps allow me to keep up with most traffic but maybe not.
    I am very lucky, where I live traffic is light and fairly slow, but as mentioned a lot of A holes cannot stand being behind my old heap even when I am doing the speed limit so I get passed, cut off etc.
    Hell my DD off topic has a 5.7 litre Hemi, and thought of some of the big busy freeways seem like a pain to me....

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My daily drive is in different places every day. Not in an old car, but in that loaded Semi pulling 80,000 lbs that all the idiots want to get in front of. I try to hit major cities a hour or so before peak traffic times if I can. And when I see somebody in an old ride, I give them room while I'm checking out their ride. I've seen about everything you can think of in 31+ years of trucking, and I can flatly state that it's worse now than it was when I started trucking.

Speaking of third brake lights, my 47 Lincoln originally had only one brake light, in the center of the trunk in the trunk handle. I wired both tail lights to modern turn/brake/ tail lights, and kept the trunk mounted one, too. When I hit the brakes, there is plenty of light to get your attention. That is, unless you're doing your eyebrows while drinking your Starbucks and texting and checking your facebook while supposedly driving, then we might have a problem!

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Driving our second version of the 40 orange Ford Sedan Delivery, I had to be extra cautious because of the huge blind spot in the right rear area. Plus, the outside mirrors were the size of baseballs and viewing everything was difficult. But, I do have to say that most other drivers and their passengers were enthralled to be next to the delivery and usually waved. My driving was cautious to say the least, but the 327 was plenty powerful to zip around slowpokes. I was never in a hurry (leaving very early to beat the traffic) and I usually stayed in the right hand lane. No accidents, tickets, or vehicle violations in the 4 years I owned the delivery. The commute was pleasurable, except for that blind spot.
    upload_2016-12-18_4-21-30.png
    On the same 1.5 hour route driving my delivery (now all coastal driving, not freeways) I also changed off with riding my custom Harley Sportster, somedays. Now, since I am probably the only rider in the world that did not go between cars at a stop light or heavy traffic, it was always pleasant and people would roll down their windows and ask questions about the bike or riding. I must have looked friendly and helpful. Yea for me… riding the Harley was fabulous as you were instantly aware of any drivers around you. The sedan delivery was isolated and driving was shaky with that terrible blind spot. Triple looks to the small outside mirror to change lanes and even then, it was shaky.

Jnaki

Of course, there is more traffic today and the other drivers are a little overworked and always in a hurry. But, if you leave plenty space around you and are not in a hurry while you travel, your outlook on driving will increase tenfold. You also have to be in a car that you like driving and not have car envy with others, even if it is a rare, super powerful, auto that you have been craving for since before you were a teenager. upload_2016-12-18_4-26-47.png
    (coming home from late night photo shoot at a North Long Beach garage 1972)

oldsjoe and clunker like this.
  18. Dreaming here -
    '62ish full size pick your favorite American sedan. Nailhead, W, big block, what do ya got? and a stick. Original paint a bonus, not too pristine. Get on down the road.
    The vid was funny, and Goofy is cool because he looks like a '57 Chevy without the front bumper.
    Uh hilt! Uh hilt![​IMG]

19. Back in '68, when I was working my way through college as a surveyor for KCMO Pubic Works, I was driving my '29 A coupe to work and back each day. Some days going from job site to job site. One day I tried to go to lunch and the shifter wouldn't engage. Took a pair of pliers, removed the shifter tower to find a pin had come out in the left fork side. Looked around, saw a utility pole with lots of nails in it from posters, pulled one out I thought was an appropriate size, stuck it in to hold the fork, put the tower back on and went to a late lunch. I'm betting whoever has that coupe today still has that nail holding the fork. It was a stout nail.

oldsjoe, Truck64 and clunker like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In contrast to driving my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I also traded cars to make driving a little different. My wife was driving the 65 El Camino to her daily job and when she was at home sick or faking it, I borrowed the El Camino for the long 1.5 hour commute. Now, what a difference that was in driving scenarios. While the 40 had a terrible blind spot, this El Camino had none. It was almost like driving in a convertible with the top down, except that you can hear the cool music and you arrive with your hair nicely groomed. Talk about low stress driving... It brought back memories of driving up the coast to the Bay Area for vacations and photo shoots. upload_2016-12-20_4-29-22.png
    Of course, the red color made people look even if it was fairly stock. The Red Line tires, silver rims, and small hubcabs made it simple, but a little less stock. Sure, the mirrors were still baseball size, but that greenhouse effect of the enclosed cab made for total around the car viewing simple and outstanding. Driving this El Camino was a total pleasure as you could see almost everything very clearly.

The driving characteristics of the 40 vs the El Camino were different, but similar. It was the pleasure of driving an old cruiser, hot rod vs the simplicity of a 25 year old newer car. Each had its own pluses and minuses, but it was the pleasure of just driving down the coast in cool cars that made it fun. The only stressful thing the 65 red El Camino had was that it got stopped three times at those random CHP vehicle checkpoints. Twice, it was fine, but the third time, I had to replace my super, high beam, secondary headlights that I special ordered for dark, desert road driving loaded up with the motocross bikes. Those lit up the dirt roads, made it like daylight and safer to drive out there. I never used them on the streets, but I had to replace them…how did they spot them in 4 headlights…They looked crystal clear without glass designed baffles and patterns. The 40 delivery never got stopped. Crazy CHP choices…

Jnaki

Someone did mention that the two cars had similar looks: a red/orange 40 with small hubcaps and painted rims vs the red El Camino with small hubcaps and painted rims… “2 cool shorts sitting side by side…”

Bruce Fischer and oldsjoe like this.
  21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is kind of OT , but Dad and I were feeding cows every day with a 71 F250 4x4 till the 390 went down 2 weeks ago . A local engine shop is building us another. We about got ran over by a herd of whitetail deer the other morning . We dodge rock trucks every morning. I pull a round bale trailer that hauls 8 bales with a 65 C60 truck and sometimes a 30' trailer that will carry 16 bales.

22. Blowby ME TOO.LOL.Bruce.

23. Dan, I live in East T, N. {in Sevierville with all the tourist actrations}and I thought Florida drivers were bad{don't get me wrong, I lived there for 10 years} but up her South Carolina drivers are the worse.No offence H.R.P. .LOL. Bruce.

24. seb Fontana, I agree you just don't know any more. Last night on the news they say that road rage has really spiked this year. Me I used to be like that now at 63. I Have mellowed.I just give the once in a while horn blow when cut off. Bruce.

25. Wojojo.This is true or a horn blowing!!! Doesn't yellow mean caution slow down and MAYBE be ready to stop?????Bruce.

26. ElHueso_Once you get off the highways here. That the same thing too. LOL. Bruce.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. AGREED! Bruce. 006.JPG

kiwijeff and straykatkustoms like this.
  29. Just blow it off, she was probly hungry and was headed to Mickey D s .LOL.Bruce.

30. <-------- I drive my old beater a lot but today I drove the wagon,no particular reason why with the exception of the sun is shinning, it does have a heater and I felt like rowing gears. HRP

[​IMG]