Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old 4 Car Carrier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66L-79, Feb 24, 2016.

1. 66L-79

66L-79

I had a friend email me this photo, he said it was posted on Facebook for sale I thought it was a pretty interesting photo. Old Car Carrier.jpg

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That would be a really cool rig to pick up. Do the cars come with it? Showing up with that would steal the show.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Fred Sayre Motors 1951.jpg
    Here's the blue oval version of a 4-car carrier with a load of 1951 Fords. The pic was taken in front of Fred Sayre Motors in Ripley, WV. I wish the photographer had got the truck cab in the shot. The large Ford neon sign above the car carrier now lives in my garage (the reason for me having the pic).

Jim

Stogy and Rocket Scientist Chris like this.
  4. I thank you just found the best picture on the HAMB . thread. That is so cool, I would love to have that in my collection! PLEASE find what they are asking! I want that soooooo Bad !!!!!!! Ron... THANKS

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

5. a old trucker I knew told me in 1955 he hauled new 55 chevys from St Louis to Oakland using a 4 car hauler trailer and 54 chevy snub nose or a 54 GMC snub nose. He stated running as hard as he could it took ten days with the chevy and 8 days with the GMC. The Chev had a 261 with 4 speed and two speed. The GMC had a 270 five speed and two speed. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the GMC pictured was that same truck. Maybe parked in 56 with a load of new cars?

vonpahrkur likes this.
  6. Looks to be all 56 chevys sitting there. What a crazy find tractor trailer with the load. I can't afford it but would love to hear the back story on it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. It is very KOOL looking!Bruce.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Has a similar look to the Land of NED NHRA Stockers of the early 60's being taken to a track. Why, Why, Why, would someone do that to those cars and transport rig? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

One of my plans when I win the lottery is to build one of those and fill it up with 1949 Chevrolets...only all shiny and pretty.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

so.....no link? what's up with that?

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

That's a crusty load for sure. What a cool find! Joe

12. 66L-79

66L-79

I think my friend said the guy said he had a $13500.00 offer on the complete deal and yes as far as I know the cars are still on the trailer said to be 3 - 56 four door cars and one 56 two door this is supposed to be located in Wilson N.C.

13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Honey, plan early our vacation to Wilson, NC is on the schedule>

volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. frank spittle

frank spittle

That just makes me scratch my head. It looks like nothing has been touched in 30 or 40 years....maybe more. Those cars are 60 years old!!!!!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. My wife just snapped me back to realty. She said I can make a model of it. ha, ha, That would be cool to have. I do have an old 55 dump truck, in about the same condition. Stuff like this is fun to enjoy as found. Its Art, don't you think? They say art in the eye of the beholder. I Hope my neighbors love Art. lol

16. Don't tell anybody,,,but the rig was highjacked and hidden 'til the heat was off,,,,,,,and then forgotton,,,,:rolleyes:

17. 49RATFINK Mine too win the lottery that is then start buying cars like I used too before I gave all my money to the kids.lol.Bruce.

18. HD Driver

HD Driver

There's something about this that doesn't look right! A little slight of hand perhaps

AmishMike likes this.
  19. butch27

butch27

I remember story about 1949 Chevys found on a Railroad side track had been there for at least 30 years.

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Man I want one of those COE's something fierce. I love that pic.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. cfmvw

cfmvw

Could you elaborate? I'd love to hear the story behind that one!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welll...It was a foggy night...this rig was the only chance I had of gettin' a ride...I'd been standin' out there for hours, no traffic...then this rig pulled up, the door opened...
    The driver extended a hand, "Get in...Big Joe's the name...An' this is Big Jimmie, the fastest rig on this circuit."
    We drove awhile, then the curve...and the bus full o' school kids!
    Big Joe took the ditch, to save those kids... Yeah.....

I came to, was walkin'...Came to a truck stop, a Diner. Walked in, said "Big Joe dropped me off..."
    The place went quiet.

Sure looks like "Big Jimmie", Joe's rig... Way it looked last time I saw it, anyway...Real foggy that night...

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

this is the second time in about 3 weeks or so I seen that picture. not exactly sure where I seen it now but I thought it was on some auction co. site that was selling off some guy's estate that had a collection of old cars and trucks in various condition. it wasn't close to me so I just took a quick peak at the pictures and never retained any of the info provided.

I would proceed with caution and hand no money over unless I saw it in person first to make sure the picture wasn't just stolen. the auction could very well be over and the new buyer trying to flip it right away but I still would proceed with caution.

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That happened about the same time when my buddy's second cousin's neighbor was out in Lover's Lane, spoonin' with his girl. They were listen' to the radio and heard about an escapee with a 'hook hand'. Came about midnight and they decided to get back to town. When the fellow went to let his girl out of the car, THERE WAS THE HOOK HANGIN' ON THE DOOR HANDLE!! :eek: Really, that's what he said.........

Ray

edit: to the OP....neat pic, thanks for posting! :)

firstinsteele likes this.
  25. U-235

U-235

uhhhhh....heard the hook story waaay back when I was is high school in 58.....except the hook was on the rear bumper......wonder if it was the same guy...?

26. 66L-79

66L-79

This maybe true but I do not know I posted it because I liked the photo and thought was interesting.

27. The old trucker that I knew who hauled the new cars. He told me he never married until he was 36 years old. Stated he would unload the new cars and unhook the speedometer cable. And he had girlfriends all around the country. Would squire the women around in the new cars. and drag raced them also.

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Doesn't add up. Why would GM haul new cars 4 at a time to Oakland when they had an Oakland (and Los Angeles) plant churning out 100's of them a day in 1955 !?

29. Someone went to a lot of trouble to ruin four cars and a hauler. This should be on the sitting and rotting thread.

leadfootloon likes this.
  30. i look at that picture and wonder what could happen to it. it is a shame that it sat out for so long but you need a lot of indoor space to keep them all under cover. even if you leave the trailer out side you would need room for the cars and tractor inside. i guess that having the cars on the trailer are a better place to store them than in the dirt. boy is there a lot of work to restore that pile. maybe the most practical use for it would be to put it in a museum, "as is".
    interesting.

volvobrynk likes this.