Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 1930 Channeled model A hot rod roadster gets a new lease on life.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. DaveGoodson

DaveGoodson

My condolences for the loss of to your dad. My dad died from the same thing last October. Before he died in took on restoring his 1967 Land Rover that he owned since the beginning. Was able to take him into town shopping in it right up to the end. Meant a lot to me. Now my son wants to learn how to drive it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hitchhiker and ghornbostel like this.
  2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

My condolences on your Dad. Really liking this project. Back burner projects can be cool because they give you time to search for parts which is half the fun. You've come up with some decent parts so far! Keep after it.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. Something I think applies to all types of metal work be it Welding or Body work. Your material needs to be Clean on both sides prior to starting anything. Welding on rust brings perosiety into the weld, that is the pin holes and slag no matter if it's Tin or 1/2" plate.
    Clean tin keeps your hammers and dollies in good health. Remember, any damage or marks on them transfers to your work piece. Don't beat on anything, talk to it with your tools.

The Wizzard

4. I wanted to post these pictures of a car that just sold on ebay for 15k. 1488851371616.jpg 1488851375223.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, you're half way there! But that's some major metal work you have in front of you. And worth it.

41 GMC K-18 and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Sorry about your dad, cancer sucks. Lets talk about fun stuff; your car is a crispy critter but you can fix it. Mine was pretty bad like yours. I was able to find some original pieces at the swap meet plus lower patches and wheeelwell patches. I cut out the bad and replaced with 'better'. Each quarter took over 8 hrs. And they are only tacked but I enjoyed the garage time. Very good therapy 1488854061015.jpg 1488854110580.jpg good luck

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hitchhiker, really sorry to hear about your Dad. My sincere condolences.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hitchhiker likes this.
  9. 15K !!? I'm the last guy to say what a Man's car is worth but I need to make a serious adjustment in what I thought my Roadster is worth. Show's how out of Touch I am.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  10. Up or down? The one on ebay the engine and brakes are stuck.

11. UP,, way UP. I payed 2K for my body back in 98. I didn't mind paying to much for it back then being it was all there and don't need any rust repair. 100% of the rest of the Roadster is built out of cast off parts from other cars built. Some of those had cash value deducted from job labor but not much. I've had some friends ask about the project but it's not for sale. In the back of my mind I thought it was probably worth around 8K. It's a ways away from being done and not your average Model A. That E-Bay sale showed me what a FOOL I am. Today's dollar value to me is a moot point and it's still not for sale but Holly Smokes!
    The Wizzard

46international likes this.
  12. Oh yeah. Your car is worth way more than 8k in my mind! I do think the ebay one went a little high vs. Condition....people were paying for the 50's hot rod story more than anything.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

15k is all the money for that car i think. It will take a bunch more money and time to get it road worthy.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  14. I guess to me it just shows how little the American Dollar is worth. I can still remember the day I got my first 2 week Pay Check that was pennies over $100.oo, I was married with a Kid at that time and we were in Fat City. Times were good back then.
    The Wizzard

Hitchhiker likes this.
  15. Dang!! We could all use a Friend like that. How do ya return that kind of favor?
    The Wizzard

Hitchhiker likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Damn, no shit!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Does this mean we are going to see more regular updates then?? Very nice

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. I definitely hope he knows if he needs anything to give me a shout. You never know when a young body for heavy lifting will come in handy...

I would definetly expect some faster progress at this point.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  19. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

[​IMG]
    wow this was so cool man....what happened to this frame? you now have enough stuff for two builds!... one of this low-boy as is and the other your new hi-boy frame, new 1/4's, best of all your doors etc....or would you consider selling the old frame in this pic and the old 1/4's etc?

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

oh and volvobrynk we get that you dig the spring in front look but it makes some of us real sad ;)......2 major things wrong in the late '50's were shortened wheelbase spring in front cars with grilles sticking way out like a tractor (like snoopy I'd leave an intact car like that but hitchhiker has options because this car came in pieces) and deuce grilles on a '34 ford:eek::confused:...they make me cringe and always will no matter how classic!

Denns1989 likes this.
  21. That's actually not this car! Just a crazy similar one.

22. Alright so at this point I still haven't done anything besides collect parts. So far I've got all the body parts I need. I've gon a run a 59a and a top shift Lasalle Trans converted to ford closed drive. I have a semi stock model a frame that has a later model 1940? Center crossmember mocked up in it(left overs from friends old project) and with the 59ab with dual belt pulley and fan and stock A radiator location and stock 39 toploader and a 40 rear axle with the spring mounted behind the axle and in the stock A location moving the rear wheel forward.. results is 96 inch wheelbase and long hood. It was gonna be a "modified". It still had the stock A front suspension in it too. It's all just mocked up, but my plan is to move the engine forward 4 inches and use a single belt pulley and generator mounted fan(I'm a little worried about this) and and I think I'll need to slide the crossmember back a little too for the lasale trans and lengthen the rear of frame. Id also like to use a later crossmember that has been flattened. Everything is just tacked so should be easy to move around. I've also got a Columbia 2 speed for the rear axle. Maybe some lincoln breaks. I've collected some old chrome front wishbones, spring and perches and shackles and such. I'd like to find some chrome backing plates and get the dropped axle perhaps chromed. Its the original axle from the car and needs to be straightened so I'm gonna start with that. I really want to get going on this thing. So I'm gonna try and get the chassis taken care of first. I've got most if what I need at the this point besides space. But also parts are spread out all over, so in my head if it' a complete car I'll be better off.

None of my pictures work

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Glad to see this thread back up,
    Did I miss something though?
    I thought you were thinking Olds 303?

24. What flatter cross member are you referring to, rear spring or X member?
    The Wizzard

25. It's what I have.... Also speed equipment for the Olds seem crazy expensive. Was kinda thinking about building a blown flathead

waxhead, chryslerfan55 and Paul like this.
  26. Rear spring

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

cool, but uh, I think a blown flathead may not be exactly inexpensive either, ;)