Register now to get rid of these ads!

"oklahoma shoe shop" my new project 35 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mnhotrodbuilder, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I recently purchased a 1935 3W. On both doors it says in this order:

Oklahoma
    Shoe Shop Guthrie okla
    across street west of post office
    Signed by someone named Quick

Here are some pics of the car I took today not the best but you get the idea what I have to work with. The words on the door are almost warn out and are hard to read. I was just hoping someone had seen it back in the day maybe I could build it like it was. Maybe a picture. Wishful thinking I know, but there are a lot of resources here.

I will start building this car when I get back from my deployment (this time as a civilian contractor) I got out of the military last week.

I already have a running, stopping, shifting, chassis ready for trans plant
    its a 36 truck chassis with a 49-53 flatty, 3 spd, steering column,etc

I'm going to take everything off the 36 chassis and put it on the 35 frame

I have a lot of plans for this ride and I cant wait to get back and start on her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. slick377

slick377

Very cool project, almost sounds like the beginnings of an old time racer, look forward to seeing it take shape, good luck

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Very cool. Keep us posted on the progress.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

For historical purposes, it needs to be returned to Oklahoma at once...send it to me and I'll get it back to Guthrie...

eventually

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I only live 8 miles from Guthrie
    Cool find.

6. jason65

jason65

I linked your thread to the okie hambers. I'm sure someone knows something about it.

7. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

damn looks like the front right fender has a dent in it, now its only worth scrap price.
    ill give you 250 for it. ;)

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Thanks for the help guys!

I think the fender can be saved Casey;)

3W Larry good luck prying it from my grip:D! It will be in MN for the next couple years.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Nice looking car

10. saints

saints

I agree it needs to be brought home......My home

11. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Wow that's damn solid!

12. cutlass_supreme71

cutlass_supreme71

I'm also an okie... I'll start doin some research for ya on it. I've got family in guthrie.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  13. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Sweet! thank you Cutlass supreme71!!!!:)

Here are some pics of the 36 truck chassis I picked up yesterday. This will be going under the 35.
    Merc EAC heads
    3 spd
    Holley 94 carb
    ebrake that works
    very nice start
    nice wheels and tires that will look good on a shop truck

I'm glad someone steet rodded thier 36 truck, and I got this!
    Needless to say I am very happy!:D

[​IMG]

What is the turn signal box off of?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Are the water pipes finned? Weird...wonder if that actually helps to cool at all. Johnny

15. What is the block number? is it the same as the heads? Thats a nice start. Welcome to the three window club.

16. What a history that car must have!
    How did you find the car?
    I wrote the first history of the town and we published it in 1990. Guthrie:A History of the Capital City, 1889-1910.
    I have files & photos but don't have any info on this shoe shop but if it was across the street west of the post office it would have likely been on 2nd street. No info on "Quick" either. If you want, I can make a run to the local museum and check out the old city directories for these two leads. Maybe find an address or owners name this way. Could also check the microfilm copies of the local newspaper but that's a "needle in haystack" situation. I've known a couple of the local sign painters in years past who might have had a clue but, alas, they are all gone now.

17. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I will check on the block number tomorrow before I head out to Hunt Valley MD and let you know.

18. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Thanks for update! I figured it was a long shot and I don't want you to go out of your way to find out. If you see any old timers that may know please ask them for me I would really appreciate it.

BTW the wheels on the frame were accidentally left on there when they took the frame off the truck. They are going on the 36 street rod truck they are building. The seller wasn't on site and his emplyees didn't take them off before I picked it up. I gave them back to the guy I got them from since he wasn't there when I picked it up and he forgot they didn't swap them out. Honest mistake. Now I got a set of wires on her. Which I wanted another set so it all worked out! ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  19. Gator

Gator

What a cool project.

20. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

Don't have any info on the car or it's history. That said, you mentioned the door lettering was signed "Quick". I would wonder if that was done by the legendary Nat Quick? Nat started his career in central Ok before moving to California and becoming one of the most legendary drag car painters, letterers and airbrushers in the history of drag racing. He painted some of the most iconic cars of the day. If that really is some of his early work, then you have a real treasure artistically speaking. Pitty the lettering is not in better shape, but even in it's current condition, some would but it on the same level a finding a vintage Von Dutch or Roth piece.

Found an old tread about him here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208045

He's also still working. Here's some of his work on the pinhead lounge. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208045 . You might contact him. Of the thousands of cars he's worked on, I doubt he'd remember much about this one (if it is his work), but, hey, you never know!

Either way, great, solid project. Looks like it'll be a great build! Enjoy!

21. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Holy crap! that would be cool if it was him. I wish I would have got a close up of the signature its very easy to read. Thanks again I will contact him it's defiantly with a shot. Who knows, probably many hot rods say "shoe shop" on them. Who knows He may remember it.

Just remembered there was evidence of pin striping and designs in green around the words, it's easier to see than then words themselves. The designs are with the same color and paint as what the name is written in....We shall see. If Nat Quick was a pin stripper back in the day then maybe........

you can kinda see the design in the middle of the pic of the door.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  22. Cool find! If anyone can help you out with some info on this car in Guthrie, ruffdawg can. He is our local historian and fellow hot rodder. :D Good luck with your new project!

23. Very cool, will subscribe to this thread to keep up with the discovery and build!

24. trammel

trammel

During highschool I would ride from shop to shop looking at all the kool cars buing built. My faverite shop was at NW 19&Mc Arthur in OKC a old plating and boat shop. In the north part was Nat Quicks paint shop. I watched him paint Gene Snows Rambunctious funney car. I went by one day and he was gone closed down man I was hart broken. I asked where he had gone and was told he moved to the west coast . The owner of the building gave me a old paint gun he had left behind and I still have it. If that paint gun could talk it would tell some tales. He is one of the best.

25. 41woodie

41woodie

Ok, I win the car. The Shoe Shop would have been in the 100 block of South Second street in Guthrie. I live about 100 yards south in the 200 block of South Second and by lucky chance I have room in my shop for the coupe. So it would nearly be home.

Seriously I am curious about how you came to have the car. There had been rumors around town concerning a 35 or 6 coupe that was in a garage just east of the downtown area. It was finally purchased last year by a local car guy and I'm curious if this is that car.

26. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Great car! I found my 36 chevy Master Deluxe 5 window coupe that still has the lettering for 36 and one painted over it in 55

Navajo-Apache
    Telephone Systems
    Holbrok Az.
    Ph 76

Then an insurance guy used it. I have every registration from 36 to 55. Gotta love these old lettered cars! So yes, they lettered cars not just shop trucks.
    [​IMG]

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I will email my buddy and ask for more info, I got it from he is in Lincoln NE and its about 6 hours from you. We shall see!

28. 41woodie

41woodie

Great, if it's that car it'll be fun to know. I kept putting off going house to house looking for it, and then one day it was gone.

29. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Looks like a few of those cars you have came from Ceresco Ne .

30. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I can't wait to see where you go with this one. Good luck.