Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, why, an inliner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Jan 31, 2012.

1. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

yea- that would be me :D
    its fast-, makes retarded amounts of flat horsepower and is real :) i would like to make it not hit so hard though- from 2800 to 3800 RPM it gains over 400 horsepower, and 400 ft/tq. its like getting hit with a hammer when the turbo spools up!
    that was on a mustang wheel dyno as well- thats no dynojet inflated numbers!

its a 3.2 liter straight 6, but i needed to convert it to you old skool guys in CID :)

it will send the tires out for lunch in 3rd gear at 45 mph, and thats on 255 dunlop sp sport star spec's- a real soft tire that is very popular in the sticky department.

im in the process of building a 1 peice driveshaft/ putting a different diff in it and getting stronger CV axles so it will handle a set of MT ET streets.

if i tried that with anything but street tires right now, i would be making a yard sale of the rear end lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Truckedup

Truckedup

That's like the young guy down the road with a silly power Honda Civic.He claims 450 hp from 120 cubic inches with two turbos.Been on a dyno a few times so he claims. I shit my pants going for a ride in Banzai Kamikaze fucker smoking the front tires through the gears.
    Big power,but big off topic here............

3. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

mine aint rice, and i got dyno numbers to back it up. 'all im sayin'

4. Normbc9

Normbc9

I started in 1953 on the Muroc Lakes working with an inline 270 GMC coupe with a twelve port head and using a racing fuel. It started there and I have never looked back. I know many V- type engines are fun to work with (I work on Y block Fords too) but the 6=8 idea always had a charm for me.
    Normbc9

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thay look great in a Lakester. Bob [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Who is having the most fun here???? And no, the 350 didn't win. My friend with the Corvair liiked the 6's so much he put two of them in! Pat

Attached Files:

7. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

my machinist has literally half of a big block chevy in his drag car. naturally aspirated, it makes about 650 hp. Home brew fuel injection, and lots of dyno time to squeak out as much power as possible. its a neat little setup :D

so- goofy 4 cylinders, turbo 6 cylinders, and occasional 10 or 12 cylinder - i like odd balls :D

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. XXL__

XXL__

My HAMB-unfriendly dd is about 2.25, and could/would easily do 2.5 if I bothered to work out some tune details. It's a big snail four banger on E, and gets 26+ mpg if I behave. It also has 62ft3 of enclosed cargo room, and will carry 8' 2x4's with the passenger seat flipped forward.

Back to our great inline v. V debate...

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. I grew up driving Inline 6' had few V8's but love the ease of working on them and the sound,It's all about being different.For so long me and some inline buddies would go to shows looking for sixes.You use to be able to tell a six powered car by the closed hood LOL. But it's having the hood open and watching people stop and look and talking to those who had and ran them back in the day.It's also the people that walk by a V8 powered car once but will come by a inline powered car more than once by themselves then bring a friend over to look aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epuw26k--hs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAqCYhAI5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckoya9wcTKA&feature=BFa&list=PL5F822284977D10BD&lf=results_main

10. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. tjmercury

tjmercury

To each his own......I like what everyone else doesn't have, that's why I have 2 hemis, a flat 6, a flathead v8, a slant 4 and a slant 6!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Cause there ain't nothin finer than an inliner:D Seriously I've owned all kinds from 3 IH silver diamond 220's to a chevy 250 in my 50' IH. For me they are engines that have the grunt, reliabity, and looks with a good cruise mode capability. And damn if it ain't nice not havin to cram 10lbs in a 5lb bag. Long live the the buzzin half dozen!

13. X2! You nailed it, brother. I've loved them all...and all for different reasons.

14. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

you ought snag you a big ass red diamond now those have some GRUNT and cubes... lots of em.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Damn...this thread is still kickin. I figured maybe 20 posts and dead. You inline guys are surely a dedicated group!

And all these youtube videos showing fast sixes are great, but every one of em sound like they have a big damn miss, like down 2 cylinders!! hahaha

I have never said they couldn't be quick, but for all these guys drag racing em, they obviously want to go fast or they wouldn't race. I have never built one of these but it seems like it would be some SERIOUS big money to get one of them into the 9's in anything short of a dragster. My whole line of logic (in my mind) is that dollar for dollar if you built a 9 second 6, for the same money you could go 8's with a V8.

But this is all degressing from my original question. I enjoy horsepower and hotrodding so much that personally, I love high horsepower. I practically live for it. And I want the most bang for my buck. Since the invention of the V8's, (overheads valve motors, 1950's really) People have been yanking out sixes and stuffing in V8's to make em faster. Its what HOT rodding is about. So as many others have posted already, the resurgance of the 6's just surprised me, thats all.

But hey, more power to ya, and to each his own. I'll stick with 8 pistons :D

Scot

16. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

wasn't there a guy down at the hamb drags with a full bodied chevy or some thing running in the 9's with a straight 6?

17. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

course you could always snag a new and odd 3.7 inline 5cyl out of a Colorado and
    put a 4brl and zoomies on it and confuse the HELL out of everyone.

18. docmike

docmike

I always thought it would be cool to build something like a Track-T with a Volkswagen VR6. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy but, I think you would have a lot of people scratching their head trying to figure out exactly what it was. Three side draft Weber carbs hanging off one side, a custom exhaust header hanging off the other side, and a custom made, finned valve cover to make people say WTF?

Doc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Pretty much like lots of people say; to be different, many of them sound amazing (to me) when hot rodded with a lumpy cam, header, and high compression. Yeah, they're more expensive to build, but not everyone has one.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Thats what the V10 guys say about your motors...lol.:p

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx. I've been tryin' to fix that miss for two years. Now, I can relax :D

22. I have been in awe of that car for years!

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever the fuel burner is, it needs to be the right approach. I have an AD Chev PU. 6, SBC, "W" motor or Nailhead? It's headed for kustom territory and I chose the Nailhead. Got a 61 Belair too. 6, SBC, or again, W motor? I want smooth cruisin, good MPG, quiet (relatively speaking) and easy up keep. Low n slow by design as well, but the no-brainer is the SBC with a couple extra carbs. The W's too much $$$$ and a 6 would be silly. Now once I get to building a Model A coupe hiboy, what should that one get? Flathead, Nailhead, Caddy, Hemi, inline "banger", or the tried-n-true SBC? Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. Also there's a bit of rebel in me, and unless I flat out trip over a smokin deal on "alternative" HP, it's probably going to go with a SBC dressed to the 9s. I'm certain there's a whole gang of folks that would be holding their noses at it. Can't help but call it boring. But I just recently scammed over some really old issues of HRM from 59 thru 65. You'd never believe what engine was in most of the Ford hot rods, as well as the non-fords. A bunch of inline 6s!!! Ok I'm a liar, I admit it. More SBCs dressed out so nice that NOBODY here would kick them out of their frames! The Dragsters were SBCs, Caddy's and Hemis.

Still, the right inliner in the right car is, well, right. I'ma hop up my 356 Packard when that project starts. Inline 8 in a restored stocker (wink-wink)...

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    :D There is nothing more satisfying then beating a flathead fford with a stovebolt 6.

Even better - beating a bored and stroked big block chevy in a quarter mile drag race.

25. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Built my TurboStude engine for about $200 more than the stock engine rebuild. 17 pounds of boost on a junkyard turbo. At Back to the 50's I pissed a lot of high rollers parked around me off with the crowds around my turd, their cars being ignored. Then, 3 land speed records with a similar flathead 6 Stude motor. Could chirp the tires with 3:1 gears on pavement, went 137. 240 hp and 289 ft-lbs on dyno. I think to some, hot rodding is taking a sow's ear and making a silk purse. Using your skill and imagination to prove your prowess as a builder. To me, just throwing in a v8 is not worth slowing down for at the Friday night rod gathering. I want to see true hot rodding, not someone putting together a glorified model kit ordered from a catalog with hum-drum tech.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG]

It runs good, my 53 Ford Mainline. The origanal six, let go and I found another one and installed it. I have a 302 on the engine stand waiting to go in, but Keeping the old six. People say Hey look, has the old 215 six....Kool

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. fleetwood39

fleetwood39

All it took for me to to love the inliners was hearing a GMC with a split manifold. After you hear that, there is no comparison.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I use to build just to go fast. Now I build to be different. Hence the nailhead powered '50 sedan delivery and 153 4 banger 37 chevy pickup. I'm hoping the 4 banger will let me pass more gas stations than the nailhead.

volvobrynk likes this.