Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ok what is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raymay, Jul 26, 2017.

1. raymay

raymay

A friend found this tool in a basement and brought it to one of our cruise night to see if anyone knew what it may have been used for. There were no ID markings on it so not sure if it was custom made by someone or part of something else. It does have a 1/2" square opening similar to a ratchet wrench and it does rotate but only in one direction. Several of us came up with a few ideas but have no way to confirm them.
    It would be nice to identify what it is and maybe display it with other unique garage art.

DSC01065.JPG DSC01066.JPG DSC01067.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. With a tapered reamer in the square, it de-burrs inside end of pipe, and another cutter would do the outside. The other piece is a handle to apply pressure to the cutters.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. models916

models916

Looks like a torque multiplier wrench for stubborn lug nuts etc…..

harpo1313 likes this.

5. mohead1

mohead1

Does look like a torque multiplier, but the one end is a drill C
    chuck??

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

6. raymay

raymay

No drill chuck just a 1/2" square opening. The other end does have a thread that can be screwed part way into the backside of the 1/2" opening.
    There are no settings on it and no ratchet action. The long handle only rotates the head one way.
    I have searched vintage Tap wrench and Torque multiplier images and have not seen anything close to what this tool looks like.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ask at papaws tool forum

8. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Tap and Reamer driver. The removable end would ride against a follower in held in a a Mill or drill press chuck. To keep the Tap or Reamer straight.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Doubt it's for tapping, although it could be used for that. You need to reverse a tap to clear chips.
    Check plumbing tools.

10. rjones35

rjones35

Found this pic, kinda similar in the way its put together. Its a pipe reamer.

upload_2017-7-28_16-5-50.jpeg

scrapiron likes this.
  11. raymay

raymay

Good possibility. Different size reamers could probably be used as long as they have a 1/2" square shaft.
    I saw her again tonight at a cruise night with the tool. If I loosen the threaded part it also releases some of the tension on the rotating part of the head.

rjones35 likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Almost ,looks like the tool, or part of one, used to adjust the bands on the old, cast iron, Dual Range (and single range), Hydra-Matics. I am Butch/56sedandelivery