Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ok,,,,,so i lied,,,,Telstar XM7 update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

im watching you..:cool:

2. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

only in spirit,,,hope to have it there in '10....
    that sounds wierd..'10...

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Right, like one day when referring to my '27, I'll end up getting a stupid look from some "punk kid".:)

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I work in automotive (GM supplier) and they can't stop with the "Oh" in front of everything. "Oh 8", "Oh 9", "Oh Ten"

Duh.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah whats up with that anyways..isnt it a Zero?..i was taught an O is a letter and a 0(zero) is a number

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

uh-oh.....are you that stack of money on the geico commercial??

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

No, and he has DEFINITELY not stayed at a Holiday Inn last night!!

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No ..dammit but i wish i was...lol

Geico!

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

i actually bought a meco mini and was considering gas welding the car...but i just couldnt get the hang of it,,,i will some day though.......

true about metz and clarkaiser.......both not given enough credit,,,i was very happy to see the recent article in TRJ about metz,,maybe they'll do a story on clarkaiser too...[/quote]

Hey Jim,

The deal with gas welding is once you get a handle on it, you'll wonder why ya waited! I'm betting you won't miss grinding all those mig welds one bit, and gas welds coupled with hammerwelding makes for some beautiful
    panel work.
    Jus' spend ten minutes a day to start, cut some strips of sheetmetal, run a bead with no filler rod. work on control of heat. Next, run a bead with filler rod, again work for control and a good looking bead. Next a fusion weld (no filler rod), just the edges of the sheet butted together.
    There is no better educator than experance, pratice makes the master!

Sad to say that Bob Metz & The ClarkKaiser shop was too far from the West Coast and all the magazine coverage the shops/builders out here received disporportionally to the whold kustom sceen!

Swankey Devils c.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Hey are you planning to leave the planet with that thing?:)

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Has anyone REALLY seen this car in person? I mean.... maybe he is just photochopping. ;)

I like the idea of taking all the pictures and morphing them from where it started to where it is now. If I had the time and talent I'd do that project up but I know there are others here who are better suited that me to do it.

Man.. that is one frikkin pile of welding to be done. Hope you have a vented shop. That will be a big load of gasses to breathe in.

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

depends on what happens with this economic stimulus package,,haha:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

true,,it is an awful lot of welding,,but its not as bad as you think if you break it down into smaller portions......i'm actually dreading the grinding more than the welding...i have a small lift that goes up about 2 1/2 feet and a rolling stool that will help greatly

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I cant wait to see this done..its looking cool as hell

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

Hey Jim,

The deal with gas welding is once you get a handle on it, you'll wonder why ya waited! I'm betting you won't miss grinding all those mig welds one bit, and gas welds coupled with hammerwelding makes for some beautiful
    panel work.
    Jus' spend ten minutes a day to start, cut some strips of sheetmetal, run a bead with no filler rod. work on control of heat. Next, run a bead with filler rod, again work for control and a good looking bead. Next a fusion weld (no filler rod), just the edges of the sheet butted together.
    There is no better educator than experance, pratice makes the master!

Sad to say that Bob Metz & The ClarkKaiser shop was too far from the West Coast and all the magazine coverage the shops/builders out here received disporportionally to the whold kustom sceen!

Swankey Devils c.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "[/QUOTE]

you are right about that,,,i think im dreading the grinding way more than welding,,,,id love to learn to hammer weld.....

i think you are right about those guys being on the wrong coast....

16. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Super cool man, please keep the updates coming!

17. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Thats what I thought when I saw the heading,and it was like " who on earth would want to even repair a Telstar let alone customise one?".:D
    One of Ford Australias typical shitpile offerings,it was actually a mazda .At least you could once find Mazda Turbo versions with 4 WD . Great little rockets until they died.

18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

guess you'll have to settle for being the lizard....:)

19. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

A lift and rolling stool will certainly help. With my back I couldn't imagine it otherwise.

I'll be honest... my opinion (and I KNOW it's only my opinion ;) ) keeps shifting, as you modify, from I like it to I don't like it to I like.. you get the picture. No offense meant.
    But no matter which phase I am in I am amazed at your vision, talent and energy. No one on here could accuse you of being a slacker!
    I do like the recent trunk work.
    It's gonna be a killer.

A problem is going to be what will you do for your next "trick". ;)

And +1 for gas-welding.

20. Love it. Those tailights are a great idea. Less easily identifyable.

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Bring that Midget down to the shop, and I'll show you how to use'er (That doesn't sound quite right!)

I can give you some basics on gas welding, but I have the MarkIV/Dillon torch. The welding part is not that hard to deal with, it's the hammer and dolly work after that takes more skill/talent/time. The afterwork (grinding, prep for a skimcoat of plastic, or primer) is considerably less time than cleanup after a MIG job.
    If you want, come down on a Sunday for some lessons, when it's quieter. I need to call you about detailing that 56 Ford convert, anyway!

22. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Looking great! Love the rear end treatment. I'd say that maybe the lic. plate could be a little bit lower, but that's just my opinion and a pretty small detail.

Keep tearing it up.

23. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

in all probability, the plate will be lower,,it's just sort of sitting on the "ledge" that's there,,strictly for mock-up purposes...

24. JEPPA

JEPPA

Looks like it's ready for launch. Great shots.
    How is the bubble hunt going for you or is that Above Top Secret clearance.

25. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

found a place that'll do it,,,just need to save up some $$$

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks mark,,,,i just may take you up on that offer,,,
    not sure if i could pick it up fast enough to use on this car,,but we'll see,,

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you go down to Chopolds' for welding learnin' be sure to take your smaller welding regulators and hoses with you, as the standard Victor regulators don't work real well at the low pressures (5-15 lbs) that a Meco type torch works well at.
    I tried the Dillon/Cobra when it first broke cover some years back, but found it a little hambfisted(no pun intended, here) for sheetmetal. I know of guys who sware by their Dillon/Cobra/Henrobs, though!
    Yer gonna love gas welds for the soft weld bead they leave when you're working sheetmetal. No moe hard-as-hell mig beads to grind and crack when hammered.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party !"

28. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

I love it, imo its going to be one of the best customs since the early sixties ended, love the name too, the aussie ford telstar/ mazda 626 or capella depending on what part of the world you are in isnt worthy of the name.

29. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks,,was part of the reason i used them,,,,(besides looking cool as hell,,haha)

30. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

A problem is going to be what will you do for your next "trick". ;)

plenty of tricks coming up...wait till you see what i have planned for the nose and interior.....:D