Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ok Moriarity and Stogy are right ! This is what I’m gonna do …

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Mar 5, 2022.

1. International center ?

Stogy likes this.
  2. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

PM sent

Stogy likes this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

....yea....

I'll never use these things....

IMG_0515.jpeg IMG_0517.jpeg

guthriesmith, Stogy, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...So these Dummy spots, are they truly 100% Dummy or are they wireable and positionable by hand therefore positionable like they're handled Counterparts?...that would make them sorta Dummy eh!

Another thing you could do is put in some battery operated LED setup inside with the adjustable colour as they are generally turned down anyway and more of an ambient thing really...

Man, talk about something you want to mount right the first time...

It seems when they are mounted they are possibly in conflict with the hood opening...

Is that Correct Custom Folk...do you have to rotate/adjust them to get them away to open the hood on cars/trucks with opening further up near the lights...I mean that's possibly the price to pay for the look...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  5. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I have nos Cal Custom Dummies, they look different from Jeff's. Mine are true dummy. Just a hollow shell and a lens.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy, yes spotlights need to be mounted correctly, very close to the hood. Yes you may have to move the lights to open the hood, but customs very seldom have their hood opened.
    Look at the early Barris cars to see exactly how they should be mounted.

Mick

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Or ,mount them where the look & clearance is best for your car & lights instead of relying on what some long gone dead people thought , just another avenue to explore .

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually they do look best low to the hood/cowl on Customs...this was a custom thing not the law or the post office, I suspect even mounted low they still rotate and function as they were meant too but again Customs wear them facing down...So what those younger men at the time and their older mentors in the Culture did matters...;)

chevyfordman and Sancho like this.
  9. I think they look best on a shelf in a cardboard box, or flea market table ,but hey I'm not a custom guy !!!! I think they clutter up the smooth flowing lines of a custom.
    That's just me , Carry on !!!

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You still want these?

Stogy likes this.
  11. See that , Cant even give em away LOL

12. Dummy spotlights are like breast implants....may look OK, but SCREAM "phony". I'd say leave them off....don't screw up the nice clean lines! YMMV

13. 6FFBFB31-7713-4AD9-90C5-794D55EDFCDD.jpeg

Got the tires on yesterday ! 2 shops didn’t want to touch them

3” lowering blocks in the rear .

would like to lower the front 1”-2” thinking shackles as they are cheap and easy

I need a sway bar as the car does not have one

457147F5-E8F7-4B9E-AA8A-CCF0E97D62AD.jpeg

Stogy did another photo shop

I like the clean smooth lines

he added a chrome strip to the running boards , I like it , the rubber on my boards is old and dry cracked . I’ve read they are a bitch to remove and replace . Any other ideas ?

im thinking no on the spots

going to remove the bumber over riders to smooth it some more

drop the front plate below the bumper and move the rear plate from the trunk lid to below the bumper as well .

was thinking to take the bumpers off completely and fab up a set of bumperettes but not sure how I feel about driving around with the idiots on the road snd no bumpers .

smooooooooth baby ! Like a big fat bubble going down the road !!!

gotta play with the skirts a bit as the mounting clip needed to be moved and I gotta thin out the brave a bit as it hits the fender when it on the car

7319CE20-AB64-46B0-8F21-EBF87F0811E9.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. 5C9932B2-A7FE-4EEE-8969-B34ECE8F9C59.jpeg Here’s the skirt with the modified clamp / clip relocated snd I need to make the support thin as it hit the fender above the magic marker area

15. Is there any evidence of a factory sway bar ever being mounted to the car ?? I used to have an original sway bar kicking around here somewhere , will keep my eyes open now that the weather is getting better and starting to get into some of the storage

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. What does the factory bar look like ?

I’ll take a pic on the week end looks like it had one

17. Reverse the eyes in the spring and remove a few leaves will get it down some , may have a front spring around here as well , you could prep the spring , keep on driving and change them out at your convenience.
    After buying your www ,your pretty wore out back there now , I will go easy on ya LOL

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Should have a couple of extra tabs on the perch pins

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Yup they are there !

Stogy likes this.
  20. I'll keep my eyes open while I am rummaging around !!! Dont usually throw that stuff out .
    Hell , I found some short 427 fe cast iron headers I had forgotten about ,thought I sold them actually !!!

21. Hahahaha!! The tires and skirts , with shipping and duty conversion to yankee dollar etc was not fun .

but the tires , even on those stupid wheels looks fantastic if you ask me so well worth the entry fee !!

Couple more things to get done snd I should be cruising soon

Stogy likes this.
  22. JMHO, but don't cover those good looking whitewalls with skirts!
    Keep the bumpers... I like bumperettes and nerf bars, but that not-so-common grille needs some protection.
    Chrome strip on the running boards looks good! I don't know what those boards are like under the rubber, but I've seen others that were stripped and cover with bedliner that looked decent.
    No spots..... Smooth, Baby!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Glad you are not going with the dummie spots

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poor Custom folk around here...:oops:

Okay...now that I got that outta the way...So Van, a couple questions...I dropped it approx 1.5" in the front...visually to what I did do you feel it needs a bit more?...I'm thinking you want a tinge of nose up when you hit the magic bullet...

I think you can run skirts on a mood basis...once the stance is nailed both moods can play a part...and I agree that skirtless has a place in this too...

Question to Custom Veterans on Skirts...Do they 'F' the paint and fender up? If Van runs Skirts for a Month or two takes them off does it look like ass because of scratches and bent fender lips?...I take it those skirts seal to body are somewhat pliable rubber...what about the latching bar anything on it to protect the lip...

Van_2dropfront3rear.jpg

Van_2dropfront3rear_noskirt.jpg

:rolleyes:...2 more mods for mood contemplation...both are approx 2" (1.5"+.5"ish) down in front 3" rear...with second image skirts removed...

Credit to All that Inspired This

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    rattlecanrods likes this.
  25. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Stogy, can you fix that sagging door handle too. That is one cool looking 4 door.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Car looks great Van !!! I'll snoop around here today and see if I can find the sway bar .
    Tell us a little about the model A in the background !!

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. Stogy likes this.
  28. They is an alliance member on here that sells 1” and 2” shackles for a decent price . Thinking of buying a set of each and play around .

see which one I like better , or will work on the car .

the disc brake kit pushed the wheels out 1/2-3/4”
    So I think if I go to low I’ll have to swap my front wheels with ones that bring the tires in a bit .

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:D...I do stuff like that for sure and honestly I did consider it...I just didn't want Van to think it wasn't his Car I used...in the original inspiration on back near the start of the Thread I shaved them right off...jeez, imagine shaving a 4dr...twice as much work...:eek:

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly I wish I was closer...Photoshop visits are it for now...I had fun getting rid of the all the newbies and bringing the scene back to 1959...

hotrodjack33 likes this.