Register now to get rid of these ads!

ok all whats ya favorite cruisin tune

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AC DC??? Bob Dylan??? Led Zeppelin???
    C'mon guys...I like all kinds of music...but this is traditional hot rodding...not the '70s/'80s/90s...
    I'm gonna have to compensate.
    This is absolutely the most sickeningly sweet and syrupy, GINCHIEST car tune I know of...lol.
    But I can't help it...I think I luf her.
    Robin Ward. "In His Car"

Deuces likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, one more from me.
    Another example of pure GINCHINESS.
    Ladies and gentlemen... The Beach Boys and
    CHERRY CHERRY COUPE !

Clay Belt and Deuces like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, yeah! Got the 45 of that one..... Some where.. :D:D:rolleyes:

4. Deuces

Deuces

The early stuff..... ;)

nightmoves likes this.
  5. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Cradle of Filth " Nymphetamine"

6. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I will have to beg forgiveness for my transgressions, while I will admit to having music from all over, from everyone from Cab Calloway to Five Finger Death Punch, I am on the young end of the board and mix up some eras (then again, later Elvis, some Four Tops, and Ben King are among my favorites). However, if we’re going back aways, I’m gonna have to say this here. Doesn’t matter who’s in the car, what I’m driving, or where I am, if I here it I crank the volume up and drop the windows.

echo ed, olscrounger and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. As I was scrolling to the bottom to post, I was thinking "Roy Orbison". :rolleyes:
    But for me, one song is out of context without a flowing stream of songs. So an Orbison album for the honey, some ZZTop for the pulse, some Beachboys for the story, some Chuck Berry for the rhythm, and so on............

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    olscrounger likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I was cleaning up my audio/video files recently, those (2-4 terrabytes) external hard drives were getting loaded up to almost capacity. I was going back through my audio folders and found this one on my mp3 list. It instantly brought back memories of long coastal drives and especially sitting in the darkened beach getting pumped for a good surf session. It was similar to those Pavlovian, stimulus, dog tests.

As strange as Edgar Winter looked and his appearance was a little striking, his music was hard core rock music. This particular song was continuously played in our later model El Camino and in our 2nd Ford Sedan Delivery, as well as a few non-HAMB cars/wagons. It was a tune that made going anywhere, blank out for 9 minutes with head bopping sounds coming out of those 6”x9” speakers.

For us, this was the best that this group recorded. As far as listening to other songs by the group, well, there were other, great 1960s-70s rock groups that took precedence as a whole, over this unusual group. It was just this one song that continuously got played in our driving cars, to get things moving.

Jnaki
    upload_2018-12-6_4-20-43.png
    The song got the early morning blood flowing prior to challenging those big waves at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. It also fit the great cruise down PCH, anywhere along the So Cal coastline. (Taking the long walk down to the surf break, listening to the music on those old Sony Walkman tape players was the mode of the day.) Hearing the rock music, seeing the pumping empty waves, all make for a great early morning to start the day.
    The rest of the work day is/was just blasé…but, palatable.

Edgar Winter Group Frankenstein 1972 original radio play

1973 live edited version

wraymen and echo ed like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. DesertRat#1

DesertRat#1

Panama-Van Halen and Money for nothing-Dire Straits.

Deuces and big duece like this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Anything ZZ Top... If I had to pick one of them, "Nationwide" says it all

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    SlamIam, olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  12. the Eagles' "already gone"

Deuces likes this.
  13. cabong

cabong

Hey Man, I'm glad you mentioned Dick Dale and the Deltones. My brother and I used to frequent the Rendezvous Ballroom on the Balboa peninsula back in '61-'62. Had great times there, dancing to the great tunes put out by them. Also saw Ray Charles there. I might add that much drinking was involved. Now, cruiz'n tunes. Many years later, I owned a '62 fuely Corvette, and I did a lot of driving late at night. I always had a big ghetto blaster with me, blaring out the Doors. I always thought they put out the last of the good "rock and roll"......

Attached Files:

14. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Albums full of great stuff:
    Link Wray-King of the Wild Guitar
    The LeRoi Brothers- Check This Action
    Best of Dave Edmunds
    Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I had ordered a new 1965 red El Camino in late 1964. It was completely stock, but had the upgraded heavy duty suspension, shocks, springs, a heavy duty radiator, battery and no air conditioning. I really wanted the SS package with a 4 speed and 396 like in the regular Chevelle sedans. But, the El Camino was a “work” truck and the designers just did not think anyone would want high performance stuff in a “work” truck.

The one thing I did order and it was installed was a new AM/FM radio. This radio allowed me/us to listen to the cool Los Angeles radio stations and the reach of the FM stations were quite some distance in So Cal. As we went on plenty of long distance road trips up the coast and all over California interior and deserts, the FM picked up sounds that the normal AM could not. That was fun.

We went to San Francisco many times from So Cal. Each time was eye opening and we discovered something new. One early morning, we drove up to a walk-in diner/restaurant to order our normal steak and eggs breakfast. While talking and eating that scrumptious breakfast, it was a feeling of being together, traveling and sharing a meal together that made the time memorable. Over the loudspeaker, was playing a song we knew, but, only heard a few times:
    1966 I’ve been lonely too long

We were hooked on the spot. The El Camino FM portion played a lot of SF area stations and it was hard not to hear the Rascals songs during that time period. When we got home, we headed to LA and bought several Rascals albums at a huge discount. Down from $7.99-8.99 to a low of $2.99 at several small record stores in the La Cienaga/Pico/Fairfax area.
    a beautiful morning…

Something was telling us that the music by the Rascals was important. We began to hear it on most of the stations all over, during our California road trips.

Grooving 1967

Jnaki

It is always nice to have access to these old songs on our digital library. The memories just keep flowing to those exciting times of road trips, strange happenings, great coastal drives and these interesting small diners for early breakfast meals. Plus, the music of the times was enlightening,1966-69.
    A girl like you 1968

Then the music scene started changing in the 1970 era. Some really good and some just awful. YRMV

On our pre-pandemic coastal road trips, our digital library has/had those songs listed. Sometimes, it was a great throwback to those early days of being 20 somethings and learning everything that was thrown our way. (Including how to adapt and blend with the times...)
    changes

“Time may change me, but I can’t trace time…”

MBog likes this.
  16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

when I was working, traveling to job sites up/down the east coast, i had Dick Dale, Enya, Pink Floyd and The Gypsy Kings as my travelin music

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's funny to see a thread this old and look at my reply and see how my tastes in music have diversified.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Blake 27

Blake 27

My brother Tom, the original Gennie Shifter owner, released this collection of 240 songs. Rock & Roll ad.jpg DSC04332.JPG DSC04333.JPG DSC04334.JPG

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have that Gennie Rock n Roll set - somewhere. Haven't seen it in a long time. My favorite cruising tune is Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky". Just a great tune to listen to in the car; can't explain why and don't quite agree with the theology, but just love hearing it.

Deuces likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I never got "spiritual" because I was too busy rock'n!

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. Deuces

Deuces

I do know that song blows up speakers when the volume is cranked up.... Ask me how I know!:D:(:rolleyes:

wraymen likes this.
  23. Rand Man

Rand Man

Highway Song, by The Outlaws. It’s Southern Rock, if you remember such a thing. It starts out slow, but then ends in a big, fast crescendo. Big thrill to put the hammer down and peg the Speedometer at the end. Try it. I highly recommend it. Great memories.

wraymen and Deuces like this.
  24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Mose Allison: Seventh Son

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Deuces, X38 and Ned Ludd like this.
  25. I get knocked down-Chumbawamba
    Enjoy the silence/Route 66-Depeche Mode
    Bread and water-Ryan Bingham
    Ring of fire-Johnny Cash
    Rumble-Link Wray
    5-:15/Won’t get fooled again-Who
    Linger/Zombie-Cranberries
    Blue Monday-New Order
    Any instrumental by Roy Clark
    Yeah, I’m all over the place. The next one kind of domes it up…..one of my favorites.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

"Grazin' in the grass" by Hugh Maskela (sp)....:cool:

27. SlamIam

SlamIam

Tom Petty, ZZ Top, Eagles, SRV

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'
    Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
    I was flyin'
    Yeah, runnin' down a dream
    That never would come to me
    Workin' on a mystery, goin' wherever it leads
    Runnin' down a dream
    I felt so good like anything was possible
    Hit cruise control and rubbed my eyes
    The last three days the rain was unstoppable
    It was always cold, no sunshine
    Yeah, runnin' down a dream
    Runnin' down a dream
    I rolled on, the sky grew dark
    I put the pedal down to make some time
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine
    I'm runnin' down a dream
    Runnin' down a dream
    Yeah, I'm runnin' down a dream
    I'm runnin' down a dream
    Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Jeff Lynne / Michael Campbell / Tom Petty
    Runnin’ Down a Dream lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Gone Gator Music