Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil system pre-lube tech. pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigpen, Jun 20, 2005.

1. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Awhile back when Grimlock was having oil pressure problems with his flathead, I mentioned a rig that I made on the cheap to pressurize the oiling system for troubleshooting purposes or just to pre-lube the oiling system in the flathead or any other motor after a rebuild. Here's some pics of it hooked to the new long block that I had to put into my '97 F150. (After only 63K miles) It's made from an old Ford oil filter can, some hose, an air regulator, and a couple of fittings. Easy can do and you get oil pressure on first crank up. :)

pigpen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Damn, that's a cool idea. How much pressure are you regulating it for?-MIKE:eek: :D

3. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

30 to 40 PSI is plenty. Just enough to push the oil that you filled the can with into the motor. I would like to incorporate a sight gauge but for now I just have to time how long the pressure is applied. If it goes too long, you wind up blowing air through the oil galleries and have to start over to get a good pre-lube.

pigpen

4. Cool, thanx.-MIKE:D

5. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

You are most welcome. This rig sure took away some of the anxiety I usually have when I start a new motor for the first time. Oh yea, the new 4.2 is in my '97 F150 is running like a champ. It made oil pressure on first crank.

pigpen

6. cool idea, I know most of us should have one of those cans laying around....

7. Matt Jones

Matt Jones

Another simple one is to use a refillable fire extinguisher. They're usually filled with water I think. The top screws off, so you just fill it about half with oil, screw the top back on and then pressurise it with compressed air. Then all you need is the correct fitting on the nozzle to hook it into your oiling system.

Pull the trigger and you're pressurised.

Of course, on an engine where the dizzy and oil pump are driven off the same shaft (like an SBC) you can get an old dizzy, set it up so you can drive it from the top with a power drill and stab it in. Then you can just spin the pump over for a while.

8. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Of course, on an engine where the dizzy and oil pump are driven off the same shaft (like an SBC) you can get an old dizzy, set it up so you can drive it from the top with a power drill and stab it in. Then you can just spin the pump over for a while.[/QUOTE]

BTT for Tech Week.

Yes, I know that old trick. The 4.2 cam position sensor is hooked to the oil pump but getting the spare parts to make a driver is a pain. The flathead is where you really need a pressure pre-lube. I've used this rig on my 8BA and it works great. The next step in the evoloution of the tool is to incorporate a sight gauge. I will try to do a plexiglas trick before tech week is over and see how it works. :)

pigpen

9. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

BTT for Tech Week.

Yes, I know that old trick. The 4.2 cam position sensor is hooked to the oil pump but getting the spare parts to make a driver is a pain. The flathead is where you really need a pressure pre-lube. I've used this rig on my 8BA and it works great. The next step in the evoloution of the tool is to incorporate a sight gauge. I will try to do a plexiglas trick before tech week is over and see how it works. :)

pigpen[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get the sight gauge mod done before the end of Tech Week. All in good time.

pigpen

10. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Neat and compact idea.
    Ive been using an old style gas grill propane tank with a similar setup. Adapters to convert them to air tanks are already available so using it for oil is a simple next step. You also dont have to worry about quickly running out of oil. This is a good "tool" to have when checking out long sitting boneyard or barn engines as long as you remember to bring the air tank.

11. soldermonkey

soldermonkey

That is a good idea and good pictures.
    I have been using an old EIS power brake bleeder. There is a rubber diaphram between the oil and the air so when the oil runs out the diaphram bottoms out on the dome and no air gets into the oil galleries, the oil just stops flowing. I usually put a gallon in the bleeder so there will be plenty. I only use this bleeder for this purpose and it is clearly marked so there is no chance of getting cross contamanination of fluids.

dave