Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil pump drive shaft bbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cktasto, Nov 15, 2014.

1. cktasto

cktasto

I picked up a 454 off of CL a couple weekends ago and my plan is to fire it up on the stand this weekend to make sure it runs before i put in my 55'. This is my "shake down" motor to test all other systems while my buddy builds my 468.
    I rotated the motor upside down in the engine stand last nite, without intake manifold. And the oil pump drive shaft fell out into the bucket of oil under the motor.
    Is that normal or should that shaft have been held in place?
    MkIV block out of an RV.
    Thanks
    Charlie

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

It can fall out but the question is: Is the sleeve still on the pump?

3. cktasto

cktasto

thanks for the reply (cool avatar). It looked like it was but I'll take a closer look this morning.

4. indyjps

indyjps

If it's an unknown engine, you may pull the pan while it's on the stand, be sure the oil pump pickup is securely in place, preferably brazed or welded on, you can do a general check on things and be sure the oil pump sleeve is there. $15-20 for an oil pan gasket is pretty cheap compared to scattering the bottom end. Might just buy a gasket set so you have spares while setting the valves etc. A set of gaskets isnt much more than the gouging you get buying individual pan, valve cover gaskets.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014