Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil pressure gauge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskoolrodder, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Question for you guys... I have an old multi gauge I am trying to hook up and I got about two turns in on my compression fitting and it stripped off. Is there a specific fitting I need to find for these older gauges?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the fitting I assummed was correct...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Need a pic of the inside of the fitting to see if there is a corresponding angled seat. Most aftermarkets are 1/8" NPT, which might explain why you got 2 threads on it and stripped. Mic what's left of the gauge nipple to see if it can be threaded for a 1/8" male NPT and use a "modern" compression setup.

3. great... I'll check... the fitting has a matching tapper to the one on the gauge.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Braze a new fitting on the old one. Possible to solder one too.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

If that gauge is a Bourdon tube type, brazing it will likely ruin it. Lead solder would work best and hope you don't have a leak.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If done (with a heat sink in between the bourdon tube and where the fitting is being installed) correctly, brazing is possible. Possible way of brazing is to soak the bourdon tube in cold water, then quickly braze the fitting.

7. Thanks guys, I drilled my fitting and JB Welded it onto fitting on gauge. Hopefully that will work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!