Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical oil pan problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillac jon, Jan 9, 2018.

1. cadillac jon

cadillac jon

have a 454 gem iv in a 59 Ford p/u. getting ready to lower in and have clearance issues, oil pan too close to axle. the easy fix would be to install a front sump pan. are these available?
    where? OR can anyone fab these

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The oil pump is below the distributor. That's related to the sump being in the back.

There are different oil pans. The truck pan is a couple inches deeper than the passenger car pan. Maybe just change the pan and pickup and it'll work?

3. you will also need the oil pump pick up tube to match the pan

4. Have you looked at Milodon Oil Pans?

5. amadeus

amadeus

I have a 454 with a long water pump in my F100, before the IFS, I only had about 2''-2/12'' Inches of clearance from the straight Axle to oil pan , I also remember that the lower pulley was about 1/2'' from the front cross member, very tight.

The motor mount kit that was used prior to the IFS change was the "Transdapt" style that bolts to the frame rails, with "L" shaped brackets.

I shit canned the weak, Chinese made rubber mounts that come with the kit and
    I used the "Biscuit" type of engine mounts from Chassis Engineering; They do not deform under the heavy weight because they are made of Polyurethane; I added some aluminum spacers to gain about 3/4'' height, with the minimal clearance I had from axle to oil pan, it never deflected to the point to where there was contact from pan to axle.

If possible have the OE axle dropped, it will be the best option for you; the Aftermarket dropped axles are sh*t; They are weak ( I have seen them deflect under the weight of the truck!) and will handle like crap.

When planning my truck build I weighted my options, it was far easier and less expensive to go with an aftermarket IFS than to spend the money on a dropped axle, aftermarket springs, disc brake kit, dropped tie rods etc.

Only other front sump pan I know of is for a Chevy II BBC application through an aftermarket maker like Milodon etc.

Good luck and post some pictures of that Fridge truck!

6. squirrel

squirrel

you might also look into the 60s full size car pan. it has a step that can help with axle clearance.

60s pan:

396 pan.jpg