Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ohio License Plate Laws (suck!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by de-fenders, Oct 1, 2006.

1. de-fenders

de-fenders

I don't know if this is happening state wide, but here in Springfield, if the law sees you out in your rod and you have license plates on it from the year the car was built (i.e. '31 plates on a '31 roadster) they are pulling you over and warning you first time. The second time it's a ticket. This seems to me to be a load of crap! The elected clerk of courts here in town owns a '68 impala convert and drives it to work quite often in the summer(which by the way is next door to the police station). He runs 1968 plates on it. Is anyone else experiencing any heat from the law on this same subject? You can only use the excuse your driving it to the muffler shop so many times, before they get wise!Greg:cool: :mad:

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If I remember correctly from when I lived up there, Ohio was a two-plate state (MUST have one front and rear).
    Do they have Year Of Manufacture laws that allow you to run a vintage plate on your vintage car?
    I think the SEMA website has a page with YOM states and different laws.
    -Brad

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here in sunny california we have a program where you can register your car with old "year of manufacture" plates if the numbers are not in use on another car.

I would figure it is illegal in all states to run a plate on your car that it is not registered with...

had a buddy with a vintage VW. he ran a vintage GERMAN plate on the front. it is oval shaped and looks nothing like any US plate, the asshole cop actually confiscated it AND gave him a ticket.

4. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You have to register the old plates somehow to make them legal.

5. de-fenders

de-fenders

You can register 1931 plates on a 1931 vehicle (for example) as long as you have an original plate and you also have historical plates for it too. You must carry the historical plates in the car at all times as proof.They (the law) is trying to limit you from driving your car only to and from shows.Greg:cool:

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Thats pretty much how historical plates work but they are good for 45 years.
    The cops in springfield have always been dics about cruising. Sounds like there still doing the "if I see you twice your cruising and thats illegal here".

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

YOM plates are recognized and sanctioned for us on 25 year and older cars in NY. Same as historic vehicle plates, with same restrictions. You gotta be going to or from a show, or driving on a club event, or use for occasional transportation. You need to sentd pics of the plate you intend to use to the DMV, so they can check to see if the number is not in use on a contemporary plate, If its ok yer good to go. As far as restrictions, there is a cruise in in this area most every night fom Memorial Day till early Oct. and as a Hamber, you are on a mission spreading the gospel, whenever your driving your car.......

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I've had many, many cars with Model year plates.

They are legal.

As was said, they are a ryder on your Historical plates. AND you only have to run one model year plate.

As for them telling you when and so forth......

If it's a decent day, and you're going anywhere car related, you're legal.

To a swapmeet, cruise, car show, to get an estimate on paint etc., a club meeting....anything car related.

I would call the State. Have them mail you a booklet with laws.

Then photocopy all related info, hi-lite it, and keep it with your historical plates(which need to be inside the car).

We had some over-zealous cops a few years ago. I did this, and got 3 tickets within a week and a half.

I tried to show the "officer", but he refused.

I took said info to court, all was thrown out.

There's a bunch of us rolling historical, and model year around here. No problems anymore.
    they're more concerned with the punks in the ricers than us old car guys.

9. Can you challenge a ticket for that so the cop has to come to court? Might be a good way to "educate" them - if they bother to show up.

10. DrJ

DrJ

Issuing a citation is an arrest with an automatic release on your own recognizance and promise to show up in court or pay the fine, which ever.
    SIince you have been repeatedly "arrested" for a non-crime it might be time you sued the PD/officer(s) for false arrest.
    Just remember, they have ALL the guns, and excuses for using them.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is the plate registered to you car? I'm confused.

12. vicsinner

vicsinner

yeah i'm a bit lost too if you went thru proper channels and registered that plate to the car with the historic plates whats the problem other than sprinfield pd not abiding by ohio motor vehicle codes and superceding state laws?

13. Mutt

Mutt

Where did he say he received a citation, let alone repeatedly received them?

Mutt

14. Mutt

Mutt

You are not allowed to use the plates for daily use. They are not superceding(sic) state laws, they are enforcing Ohio motor vehicle codes. When you apply for the plates you give a notorized statement that you won't use them for daily use.

Mutt

15. vicsinner

vicsinner

But the way he tells it the cop is tellin him he's runnin illegal just havin them on his car and beleive livin inohio 30 some years i only know a few people who don't use their historical plated vehicles for daily transportation.Now either the cops in springfield think they are the shit,don't have alot to do, or people runnin hist. yom plates are causin a ruckus daily or showin off to get harrased.I haven't heard of anyone else bein harassed in ohio for drivin a lot with historicals.Originally they specified yearly mileage too,with the abundance of out of state or town shows these days you have a plethora of excuses to drive it daily(shakin out the bugs for the roadtrip this weekend to,carlisle new jersey michigan etc etc) just put a new carb on and checkin the tune yada yada yada.If it were me gettin pulled and harrased knowin bout the clerk drivin daily to work in the summer I would remind said officer of that fact and make dam sure that guy was gettin harrased too if these cops wanna get that cocky.

16. rebstew187

rebstew187

I live in Northern Kentucky but run 1961 Ohio tags on my Bel Air.the YOM law for OH and KY are the same.you have to have historical tags registered to the car and keep the tag somewhere in the car .trunk,under the seat,where ever.that way if you get pulled over you can show the tag to the cop.for the out of state guy that are saying it has to be registered to your car,it doesn't. the old tag are numbers only and will not come up on file.thats why you have to keep the historical plate in the car.you are limited to using the tags only for the purpose of car shows, club gethering, parades or maintenance.I drive my car every day all over the place never had any problems and the police see it every day.the thing is if you look at the limitations of the historical tags you are doing just about everything the law says you can do.if he stops you again and you are not doing one of those things tell him you are on the way to the car wash to wash it or vacuum it out for an upcoming show or cruise in.there is a cruis in just about every night somewhere.washing it is part of the maintanance of your car.you need to get a copy of your YOM law and keep it in the car with you.when I started running the old tags on everything I called Frankfort Ky.main place in Ky and told them I was worried that I'd have trouble with the police running the old tags. he gave me the KRS# for the way the law is wrote on the matter in KY and give me his office phone # and told me to give it to the cop if he had any qustions on the matter.I think the police force up there is getting the big head with the badge and don't know the laws themselves.if it keeps up call the chief and speak to him.a little knock it off at roll call will stop the rookie cop shit.

17. I just went through all this with my Non-HAMB car (1966 Tempest). I did it all legal and it was easy.

I purchased a set of HISTORICAL plates and showed the young lady at the license agency my 1966 plates which she photo copied. She gave me a cardboard Temp tag to use until my historical plates came in the mail. She told me that I could install my 1966 plates on the car but make sure I have the temp tag in the car with me until my historical plates came and at that time throw the temp tag out and keep the historical plates in the car at all times. She showed me how my YOM plates show up on the computer as linked to my Historical plate number! Cops can look up my YOM plate# and it will show up as if they looked up my historical plate # and show as registared to me...blah blah blah.

She told me as long as I had insurance, a driver's license, my YOM plates that were referenced to my Historical plates (which had to be in the car) I was all legal. I had to sign a document which she notarized infront of me that said I would not be using this vehicle with these plates as daily transportation....which she said if I did then have a story ready such as I was going to or coming from something car/parade/historcal related (and a wink was thrown in there too)

Real easy and easily won in court if you followed all the steps.

Now if you just threw a set of YOM plates on and didn't purchase historical plates or you didn't have them linked to the historical plates then you are running ficticious plates and that will get you in trouble. If that is the case then getting off with a warning is not so bad compared to what I have seen people getting slapped with for ficticious plates.

18. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Thanks for posting Mutt. The one thing in your attachment that sticks out to me is the word 'tour'.

Look at it this way. Greg is on a 'nostalgic auto tour'. If he's riding alone, he's on his way to his 'guest', if he's got someone with him, they are his ‘guest’. Greg does this as a free service to anyone who asks to help educate and inform the public of the finer points of enjoying the countryside in a 'nostalgic automobile'. I’d be willing to bet that this argument might fly in front of a judge.

The only thing that might throw a wrench in this machine is a possible insurance issue, i.e. CDL for chauffeuring people around. However that might not be the case. I’m not up on that side of the CDL laws all that well. But I’m willing to be a Springfield city cop isn’t either.

Hey, it’s worth a shot. I’m planning on using year-of-model tags on my coupe and therefore I need to be prepared. Although I prefer to stay out of Springfield for my own reasons.

Vance

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I would just caution you to be SURE that your local DMV registered your YOM tags to your historical plates properly. Not long ago a statie pulled in behind us in the t-bucket (RIP 8.6.06) at a gas station which had old plate on it. He said that he had been running the plate and couldn't come up with how it was legally registered. Turns out the dumb girl at the DMV punched the temp tag number into the wrong slot and the t-bucket was registered as having an old plate with the temp tag number. The cop was really nice about it and just told us to make sure that they fixed it in the DMV registration computers. Aside of properly registering your plates though, there should be no reason to be ticketed.

20. 48ford

48ford

In Toledo,they almost never stop you.
    The police man may be having a bad day.
    It always helps to know where the nighty car show is ,or tell them you are taking it to the shop,for repair after work.
    Only time I was stoped with year plates was in canada in windser crossing into the country,when we went to the canats.
    Now watch we will start geting stoped up her to.
    Russ&Irene

21. Mutt

Mutt

One of the problems with the internet is lack of communication ability - caused by many things.
    Some people have a problem expressing themselves, others have a problem comprehending what they see, others just like to bash - for whatever reason, the one sure way to get a negative response is to post something pertaining to the government - especially cops and motor vehicle law enforcement.

In this case, de-fenders wrote, "You can only use the excuse your driving it to the muffler shop so many times, before they get wise!" He knows the law prohibits daily use of the plates. So the real question is, "Can anyone tell me how to get around the law that prohibits the use of Ohio historical plates for daily use?" The short answer is no, not beyond what you already do.

The next question is why is the police officer stopping him and telling him that if he continues to violate the law he will be cited?
    1. de-fenders brings attention to himself in some manner that makes the cop notice him.
    2. The police department has orders to enforce the law for some reason.
    3. The individual cop doesn't like cars, and takes it upon himself to enforce the law.
    The key is that there is a law that can legally be enforced, whether you like it or not. If you are going to knowingly break a law, for whatever reason, you have to be prepared to take the consequences that come with the action.

There are cops that are dicks. Most are not, despite what gets thrown out on this board. When you deal with someone in authority, you can handle it several ways. You can be totally submissive, and let them run over you. You can be aggressive, and try to run over them. Or you can be civil, and reasonable, and most importantly, honest. The last one will get you the best results when you have contact with a cop.

In this case, the cop gave him a warning with the information that they were going to enforce the law, that he is knowingly breaking. There is an easy resolve to that. If you live in a town that enforces the historical plate law, all you have to do is buy regular license plates for your car. You won't be able to run Year Of Make plates, but so what? You will be able to drive your car as much as you want without fear of a license plate violation, as long as you renew them.

Certainly it's not a financial deal like Historical plates, but you will be legal and worry free. Isn't that worth it?

As to making sure that no one else gets away with what you can't, why stop with the Clerk of Courts? Start a statewide awareness to make sure that nobody gets away with it. Should really make you popular with the other guys.

Mutt

22. Mutt

Mutt

What KRS number did "he" give you? There is no way you can legally run Ohio license plates on a car registered in Kentucky. KRS 186.043 covers Ky. Historical plates, and specifies that you may display a KENTUCKY license plate, or a reproduction of such, as long as you have the historical plate and registration reciept in the vehicle at all times.

Mutt

23. de-fenders

de-fenders

Guys - Thanks for all of your input, I was just venting on not being able to just go out and "cruise" thru town without risk of a citation. I DO have the plates properly registered and they are legal, along with the historical plates under the seat to prove it. I do not drive it as a daily driver to and from work, but like the idea of being able to take it out whenever and wherever I want to. I was merely wondering out loud if anyone else has had issues with this, thanks.Greg:cool:

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the most important things you can do with a collector/hotrod is a "maintainence drive". This is an "official" term at the MI sec of state. Any function that's car related is fair game. It's legal to use as transportation while your daily is down. This is the end of the cruisin season around here so not much happenin, but during the season there's an event every night of the week and every weekend. No mileage restrictions. Mileage restrictions are insurance related.

The rest, refer back to MUTT's responses. Here's a lil tip from yer ol uncle highlander...when the officer approaches your car put both hands on the wheel in plain sight. If it's night time and you have one turn on your dome light as well. Instant respect without kissin ass. When he asks for ID and proofs, tell him where they are and that you'd like to reach for them. When he says OK like it's no big deal you probably got his attn that you respect what he has to go through at times and it changes his mind-set, concious and subconcious. Trust me, it works. Unless of course you got nailed for 110 in a 45!

25. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

In this case, the cop gave him a warning with the information that they were going to enforce the law, that he is knowingly breaking. There is an easy resolve to that. If you live in a town that enforces the historical plate law, all you have to do is buy regular license plates for your car. You won't be able to run Year Of Make plates, but so what? You will be able to drive your car as much as you want without fear of a license plate violation, as long as you renew them.

Certainly it's not a financial deal like Historical plates, but you will be legal and worry free. Isn't that worth it?

As to making sure that no one else gets away with what you can't, why stop with the Clerk of Courts? Start a statewide awareness to make sure that nobody gets away with it. Should really make you popular with the other guys.

Mutt[/quote]

I agree 100% just get regular plates and you can drive as much as you want and no worries CEPT?......... How bout your insurance? I have grundy and they dont want me driving to work so I dont but .... I can cruise whenever I want and I do! Lifes a bitch and there are rules and laws. Some can be broken others can not. Look it could be worse...
    Dave:D

26. racer5c

racer5c

I have wondered if you bought a personalized plate with the same # as your year of Manufacture plate if you would be given any hassle. Understand? old plate 123xyz buy new personalized plate 123xyz use old plate numbers are right etc.

27. Kind of makes me concerned. Here in Oregon, I have a family member who has a couple 51' Vintage plates on his truck that he sometimes uses as daily driving. I asked him if he ever had problems with cops cause I heard from DMV that if you buy 'Their' Vintage plates and put them on your car, you have to only drive that car to shows and events or anything car related. He said, "They don't know, they pay no attention." Maybe not him, but is it possible they could suddenly take notice?
    Alright, its time to give DMV a call on this. Ugh.

He also said he does not pay every year for tags. His are Permanent!

28. i have YOM plates on my 69 mustang i was coming home from a friday night cruise in i got about a 1/2 mile from my house and all of a sudden i see red and blues flashing behind me i pull over out jumps fresh out of the accdemy young know nothing cop (i swear he looked to be 16)

first thing he says to me after he got to the window is whats the hurry i said huh what are you talking about? he said you got on it alittle back there.... where you mean coming up the hill? i wasnt getting on it i brought it to the speed limit i said its a nice night and im just enjoying the drive

then he says wheres the parade? and im like huh? what? he said you have top be in a parade to be using the plates you have and i said where the hell do you get that (im usually very respectable to police officers)
    he said to run those plates you have to have the original historical plate AND a second set of currently availible legal plates so where are those? my historical plate is under my seat and i dont need any other registered plates
    then he said why are you driving it if your not in a parade i said i dont have to be ina parade i can drive it up to 100 miles aweek to car shows parades, cruise ins or any place else i chose to .i told him i was at a cruise in and told him where it was

then he said something about my exhaust ....... and then he handed my licence back to me and said well be carefull ....

i think he just wanted to look at the car and this was the only way he thought he could

the historical plates in ohio are legal for 50 years you allowed to drive up to 100 miles a week (whos gonna know?) on them to whereever you want to drive it but they are supposed to be only driven to shows, etc (again whos gonna know)

to run YOM plates you need to take the YOM plates to the dmv and let them make a paper copy of them and tell them you will be running them in place of your historical plates and they tell you in a few days it will get through the computer and be legal

alot of people say you can paint the YOM plates to match your car , you cant thats a FELONY and some people buy several sets of YOM plates and cut/ weld them up to make numbers that match thier car this is also a FELONY

most officers around here dont mess with older cars unless the car is doing something really stupid or the cop just feels like being a jerk

more often then not its the latter

29. Jimv

Jimv

if its not legal whats the problem!!
    JimV

30. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I live in Ohio and never had a problem.. I've driven in Springfield a few times and never had a problem.. You must be unlucky.........