Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I've watched a lot of your projects over the years and have always impressed with the work you do. Take the time to you need to get better. Both my grandpa and dad are prostrate cancer survivors. My dads Doc said every man will get it if he lives long enough.

langy likes this.
  2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Do what my pals have done---Get on with it, Get it out, Get Well, Get Re-checked, and Get Going...

Yeah, it`s easy for me to say, but I`m thinking of you ,Steve....

langy likes this.
  3. greaser

greaser

All my best wishes to you Steve. You Brits are tough buggers. All this will be behind you soon enough!

langy likes this.
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Steve, I have bad news and good news. The bad news is, we drank all the cider left over from your last visit. Good news is, we will buy some more when you are coming ! :D

One good thing, you have that pretty live in nurse to take good care of you over there.

Don

Capt Chap and langy like this.
  5. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

langy likes this.
  6. fadt

fadt
    from England

Sorry to hear that, Steve. Your approach to life and engineering is way better than most, and I'm sure this will be a huge positive in your present situation.
    Gerry

langy likes this.
  7. All the best with beating the cancer - as Kiwi said, get it out and get rechecked - I had a family friend who was diagnosed and given 6 months - that was 18 years ago...

Steve

volvobrynk, langy and mad mikey like this.
  8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bit of a small update, I finished a job I've been meaning to do for ages, Because I didn't want to cut the firewall back too much I had to notch the front for the radiator, just 2 small notches, I had left them but it bugged me so got the glass & resin out and blended & fettled the notches to look a bit more in keeping with the rest.

AS IT WAS

[​IMG]

AS IT IS NOW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Beautiful work as usual. Best wishes for a good outcome from your cancer treatment.

langy likes this.
  10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks bud, I picked this little job because doing nothing is driving me nutz, didn't realise how much it would wear me out !!! LoL

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Hope you are doing well. The work on the truck is always outstanding! You make us look like a bunch of hacks LOL. All the best to you sir. Mikey.

langy likes this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha it ain't that good Mikey, doing ok bud im feeling very positive but I get tired quick

13. Oh, man - sorry to hear about your prostate cancer. My Dad had it and has been in remission for close to 30 years and I get checked twice a year since it runs in the family and my counts are way up there, well out of the norm. But, you and your Doc are on top of things and I know you have a real positive attitude and that all works well in your favor. We will keep you in our prayers, you mind the Doc, and don't push yourself. When you feel tired, rest up a bit, then go out and do a little more. It's just a different way of doing what you love ....

As always, your work is stellar and an inspiration to so many of us. Keep up the great work ....

langy likes this.
  14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Tom hope your doing good mate, yeah positive vibes man, still got my enthusiasm thank god.

15. I predicted it would slow you down. But stop you? No way! You will get through this.:)

langy likes this.
  16. Good on you - positive vibes coming across the pond, Mate, and they ain't just ripples but them BIG waves ...;)

Leaving Thursday with the Smithfield group for the LA Roadster Show in my roadster. Check out the link below for daily updates and there will also be updates on the HAMB thread as well ....

langy likes this.
  17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I will Tom, hope you have a great time

18. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Haven't been on here much myself lately Steve, but I'm getting back into my Gasser and the interest is rekindling, not good about the big "C" mate, maybe you could fab up some nice stainless steel internal body parts?

Kroombit likes this.
  19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm very positive bud, it will take more than this to stop me building cars !!!

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:cool:

21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Fender mod looks great ! Will you have to modify the hood as well?

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No bud hood fits over it just perfect

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Don't come here often on your thread, I like to get the a big-bulk upload.
    And little known fact I get a little sad since your class and fineness, and the details you put in to every little thing makes me feel like such a hack!

But it makes me a little sad to hear you are sick, but there is a whole and very elite group of HAMB survivors, so you will not be alone when you get out on the other side!!!

I believe Bull is one of them, and 3WLarry is on the better side of his treatment.
    So there is always someone who knows what you are going through.

I have no idea what you are going true, but I can offer your my best and most positive wave from across the water. Since I don't pray, or "Belive" in God, but I trust that there is other ways for the nature and mankind to prevail.
    There will also be a way for you to come past this.

Dedicated and censer mental hug going out from here!!

loudbang likes this.
  24. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

HI Steve U Can Kick this thing, I've been watching from the start but I'am surprised that you did't notch the radiator and make it factory looks cool. Get well and get back to work! Troy

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys for the positive comments

loudbang and Hansa1100 like this.
  26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

About time I did an update I guess, not done much as been a bit ill and had a big operation but I have been able to do small light jobs, first up was i've seen some rocker cover wing nuts on a few Y blocks in the states but the prices were stupid so I decided to make my own. So I bought some 12mm butterfly nuts to get a decent size, the valve cover studs are 5/16" unf so I spun up some adapters and welded them into the butterfly nuts, the welds were then sanded smooth and the ears trimmed, these need to be polished yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a hell of a lot of sanding on the panels but its difficult to continue so my buddy Brad has stepped in and helped me out, he is a very good pro body man so it will be top notch I know. heres a few pics, its actually a lot further on but I havn't taken any pics recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing as we were getting towards the painting stage I chose the colour, It looks grey in the pic but it has green in it also, It will be shiny 2K straight colour, originally it was going to be a satin red/brown oxide, but the panels are now so very straight and it deserves a nice shiny colour, I chose something that would look an older colour

[​IMG]

Now it was all stripped down I had to repair the cutouts in the front panel and trim the horns back 3", the main spring leaves are being shortened 3" and the front shackle re positioned 3" further back to keep it all behind the front panel. exactly the same as I did on my coupe
    First the horns were trimmed and boxed off, the drivers side horn has the towing eye in it so a nut was welded on the inside of the capping plate, once this was done a piece of studding was ground to a point so I could mark the hole in the front panel and drill out with a holesaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang, droppedstepside and Gojeep like this.
  27. greaser

greaser

Looking awesome, Steve! Must be great feeling to be getting close to paint.
    Hope all is well after your surgery. Glad to see you back in the shop!!

droppedstepside and langy like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great to see you back at it Steve.
    As always, nice work, looking forward to more progress.

29. hasty

hasty

Looking good.
    Very best wishes for your health

langy likes this.
  30. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

VERY nice work. Some of the nicest I've seen. Hope you are feeling better, you'll come out of this fine, prayers sent and keep on posting all this fine work.