Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Thanks for the history lesson JJ!

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, negative or positive.

Today was another day in the shop. I was able to complete the frame brackets for the lower links and made the coil retainers. It took a long time because I had to space the frame brackets 5/8" so the link bushings would fit.

Here is another slew of pics for you to be bored with;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow. Same bat time, same bat channel.

BloodyKnuckles

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool longer the better......Fred Teixera told me that if they are mounted around the flywheel area it is bite city.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd say he's in good shape then!!!

4. Fuckin' right doggie!!

BloodyKnuckles

5. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

haha he's definately up be the damn flywheel...makes the afx style 31" bars that I'm building for my falcon like match sticks!

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That's a super cool car and really coming together nice. Congratulations!

Can I ask a question/make a suggestion???

In looking at the rear suspension, I'm wondering about that single upper link. High horsepower GM X frame cars of that era actually came with 2 uppers. Not only for strength reasons, but they launch a lot straighter. Remember the whole equal & opposite forces thing, everything that runs thru those lowers sums up and goes back thru the single upper at a point off the car's center. Add sticky tires and some weight transfer (ala gasser) suddenly you've got an unpredictable corkscrew on the launch pad. Even though the lower bars are real long, they're not rigid mounted like a ladder bar or truck arm.

good luck

7. I've wondered about this also. The Electra came with one upper so I decided to use it. I have also considered making a horseshoe upper arm with one connection point at the axle and 2 points at the frame.

This may not be the perfect design from the get-go but I'm willing to try it to see.

Thanks for your thoughts. I do appreciate them.

BloodyKnuckles

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Do those long lower arms make an adjustable or relocated upper mount even more desireable for tuning the instant center? I only know enough to ask, not to answer :)

9. I'm no suspension expert. I'm really not sure. I guess we'll see soon.

BloodyKnuckles

10. Structurely does it make a difference you didn't or by the pics, you didn't use DOM tubing for lightning holes. Or maybe I should keep quiet?

11. Don't keep quite. No, it is seamed. Do you think it makes a difference? I could see using DOM as a main structural component but maybe not for the holes.

BloodyKnuckles

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

You gonna run the factory panhard bar?

13. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Looking bro. Just my .02, but those sleeves are structural since every one of those holes is a weak point. Maybe a real chassis guy or a ME will speak up. I'm just a Pollack who barely knows how to walk and chew perogis at the same time.

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

"Bite City" I like that.

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

IMO, not an issue. If you look at how seamed tubing fails, and how it's restrained when welded into the holes..... I can't imagine the forces traveling thru those arms will ever get enough "lever" to harm the welded tubing. Also seen a fair amount of rectangular suspension arms made out of weld-seamed material.

good luck

16. I've been thinking about this since I built the arms. I agree with you and can't see how it could fail. Now how it is attached to the rectangular tubing is a different concern.

Thanks for the response.

Also, I'm not completely finished with the links. I'm not 100% satisfied with them. I'll keep you guys posted on any changes with them.

BloodyKnuckles

17. we never get bored looking at your rear.....

Keep it up dawg.....looking good

18. Yes. I'm using the Electra frame brackets also.

BloodyKnuckles

19. So, today was another long fuckin day.

But it was a very good day! All the hard stuff is done. The rear is a roller. I finished the panhard bar mount and frame brackets today and installed the coil springs. I also found a great location for the upper shock mounts.

Other than the lower links and the upper link mount, the rear looks factory, a goal I was trying to achieve. The only other thing I may do is add air bags in the coils.

Here are a few teasers;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few things I need to address in the rear is final bolting, lengthen the panhard bar (possibly raising the bar's axle mount...), install the upper shock mounts and reinstall the gas tank. God, I can't wait to paint it all!

Tomorrow is front suspension day...woo hoo!

BloodyKnuckles

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Get a Job.

On another note, looks super Gasser-tastic, Streetfreaking-Awesome, Alter-Incredible!!!!! I am putting copyrights on those terms and selling them to Old Skool Rodz so don't even think about it.

You work at a speed that I think everyone can look to for inspiration. Well done brother.

21. LabRat

LabRat

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

^^^^^God I love that image^^^^^ and the Cock Mangler.

23. Thanks alot guys. It's been alot of work but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm thinking in another week I'll be firing this mother up.

More tomorrow....shop night JJ.

BloodyKnuckles

24. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn bro you fuckin rule.

25. woo - it would be cool to do the slow idle around the track at midnight -

looks great man. yeah I agree - make a bracket to raise the connection point of the pan hard on the axle so it flatter - that thing will move the axle when it swings through its arc - but you are already max length - it looks good.

26. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

As long as the slow ride includes raising the front wheels off the ground every 20 feet or so.

I know this sounds gay, but what the hell. Ron your rear end looks great.

27. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

Now thats one hell of a 4 link setup, The car is lookin badass. I ceck up on this thread everyday for more pics.

28. I would like to revise my earlier description from "fuck'n cool" to "Bad Ass"

29. Uh, that's a 3 link.

30. Ron, I would lower/extend the frame bracket for the panhard and run a diagonal back to the frame opposite the direction of the panhard. This flattens the panhard and keeps the roll center low.