Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OH DEER!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Hate 'em. Hence the demise of my '65 Gto. Wasn't much, but sure didn't deserve a 210 pound mule deer windshield lobotomy. Europeans put up "high fences" near their highways.....not us.....we don't even do that on our borders. Makes ya' sick. Damn deer in headlights.....

2. We got kangaroos. And a few deer. Kangaroos gotta IQ of 12- same as a rat. Smart enough to be dangerous.
    Be careful near home folks. Heard of prangs close to home more than a few times.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Came home a couple of nights ago and almost ran into 2 deer running across my driveway! Sure didn't expect that!
    We have only been in this house a little over a month, and with the change of daylight savings time I am now seeing deer in the yard almost every night.
    With a 100'+ long driveway I will now be going a lot slower when pulling off the road.
    Glad you were not hurt, and the T is repairable. At least you have a while before the weather really turns on you.
    KK

4. Bruskie

Bruskie

what part of ind. you live in? I know where theres some parts

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a high deer fence seems like the answer, until you realize it needs to be 12-14 feet high to be effective! Fences this high require an access road just to build it, along with higher maintenance. The cost would be very prohibitive except for maybe very small selected areas of higher speed roads.
    I would like to see hunters be able to harvest higher numbers of deer as one way to reduce and control the population.

6. Slopok

Slopok

My son is a train engineer and they run right along side the train then jump in front of it.

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I live 60 miles north of Indy on I69. I might very well be interested. Left front fender, headlight bar, grille shell. The right front fender ain't all that good either, although not damaged by the deer. Can you PM me some info? Thanks.

8. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

These deer are out of control. We never had this problem until recently. Its about time to do something about it. We don't need all these deer causing damage and injury. Let the hunters loose with no restrictions. Get rid of this dangerous menace.

9. Agreed. You can't high fence the world. My Goat ate Bambi Jerky at 75mph on Texas Highway I-10 West. Date of death 6-25-2007, my sister's birthday.

Car deer collisions amount to over 200 deaths a year, and over 4 billion $$$$ yearly in property loss. A lot of cost prohibition there, yes. http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2012/10/24/267786.htm

If you ever get to highways in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria and what have you.....they do alot with said high fencing.....nearly every high speed forested "blind" area will have them. In fact, some of, the original high fences along their highways were built by the United States.....in the 60's. Yep, we always spend that money on everyone else. We must be the greatest.....

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just watched some car crash videos on you tube from Australia.

I think I'd rather hit a deer than a kangaroo. Australians say ahhh fuuuck! when they hit kangaroos, just like here when we hit deer.

11. I was listening to the bass on a rap song yesterday... from two blocks away and the deer were dancin like fool's!

12. Must be deer from the 'hood. LOL
    -Pat

13. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Living in NC I use to drive 18mi. one way through the country (deer territory) to work. Deer alerts or whistles only work after a certain speed so the air stream will activate the whistles. I found the best ones at truck stops. They are made of aluminum.Praise the Lord you didn't get hurt...................

14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks guys. Nobody hurt. Thank God. It is repairable.
    I may work on it tomorrow.

Deer whistles that only work at high speed? Seems counterproductive to me!

15. Guess it could have been worse. Glad you weren't hurt. I have seen cars just destroyed by a deer.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This all could have been prevented if you had taken the Red one instead ................................................................

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

??????????????????????

18. caton462

caton462

Mary Hulman lives 2 miles from us, she feeds the deer. A herd of them ran into my buddy's vehicle after he got stopped. Total loss. By the way steer each wheel where they would be straight ahead and see if that camber looks ok.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014