Register now to get rid of these ads!

Offy Dial-A-Flow intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ***Area-51***, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

who can give us a little history on these intakes?

i have see them chevys and others...

i have one a late bb olds, unforunately its 4500

been dabbling in late olds v8 stuff for over 25 years and never seen another for olds...i'm sure they're out there, ive had this for 4-5 years

it look like the current super sonic, except for the name...to me

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Maybe Dmarv will field this one. His grandfather worked with Offy and came up with the concept. It was designed to sell extra castings that bolted under the detatchable carb base, You could play with the volumn (CFM) depending on the casting under the base plate. It was excellent for even/equal fuel distribution to the heads.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Sorry I can't be of much help.

I will say that THAT manifold was the first NEW speed part I ever bought - I still have it today.

Seemed like a pretty slick idea back then - and it still does now. As I recall there were 3 inserts - you got your pick of one when you bought the manifold - the others were extra.

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I put a used one on a kids 74? Cutlass with a street/strip 455 about 7 years ago. He bought it from a speed shop where I was working at the time. Seemed to work pretty well for him, I think he had the 'middle' insert in his and was trying to get ahold of the 'race' insert.

5. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

My grandfather, Ollie Morris, designed the Dial-A-Flow for Offenhauser. He was trying to design a variable induction system that could be "tuned" to the engine. Manifold design is an engineering trade-off; a great street manifold doesn't work as a great high RPM manifold. The Dial-A-Flow was a manifold that could be either, depending and the insert used.

6. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

i dont have the inserts for mine .....but like i said earlier its the same as the current Offy Super Sonic...

doesnt sound like were a big seller...more of a conversation piece...

7. Algon

Algon

08 thread but I just picked up one for 289 Ford while hunting for a four barrel intake. Then I found Summit is still selling them, but the $400 price tag made mine look better...

Anyway anyone else with one of these have any pictures or information on the inserts? Mine cam with one but I'm not sure which rpm range it is ment for. Thanks

Attached Files:

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Can't remember if HOT ROD or CAR CRAFT did a pretty good tech piece on this manifold and there were photos of the different inserts as well as dyno charts on the different setups. I'd try early to mid seventies.

One other thought; I know we did reprints of the story and knowing that nothing ever gets thrown away at Offy, try calling them and talking to Tay or get Al's number in Utah as he may even have some inserts!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. Algon

Algon

Thanks, I appreciate it..... I'll keep digging.

I searched a few times but I keep finding dealers instead of a direct contact. I have experience building custom intakes but I'm curious how what I have in mind compairs to what was issued and what range my insert is intended for. I don't mind bolting it on and trying it as is...