Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official Vintage Torque Fest Thread May 3-4, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Jun 14, 2012.

1. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I wanted to get to Chicagoland fast, I would take HWY 61 and I-80.

If you're from the north burbs, I would take HWY 20 but I think it sucks, especially pulling a trailer. HWY 11 would be the most scenic but not fast by a long shot.

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you can, take the bridge across the Mississippi at Sabula Iowa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabula,_Iowa
    It was built in 1932, and the word is that it's going to be torn down soon.

3. Speed~On

Speed~On

I must admit I was looking out the window today at all the snow and couldn't help but think of Torque Fest. Soon my friends...soon.

I took WI-11 2 years ago and it is a pretty rough road as the blacktop is old with a lot of cracks and pot holes; especially if your ride has a dropped front axle and smaller gas shocks up front. Not sure if 11 has been repaved since.

4. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't even think of that. A couple of years ago, a group of us took US 52 from Dubuque to Goodguys in Joliet. Again, it wasn't the fastest but was scenic.

If you really want some fun, stop in the middle of the Sabula bridge and look down. ;)

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you really like the Sabula Bridge you can probably have it for free! Now what could I do with a half-mile long Deuce bridge?

SABULA, Iowa (AP) — Illinois transportation officials are planning to give away — for free — a half-mile-long steel truss bridge built in 1932 that spans the Mississippi River between Sabula, Iowa, and Savanna, Ill. But there are conditions for those who want to take on a slice of history.

Before the Illinois Department of Transportation can demolish the bridge and build a replacement, it is required to offer the structure to anyone who promises to maintain it forever at its new location.

6. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

John, I just wish you were not going up again the same weekend as Stray Kat 500. I thought things would be different with the change of locations. Maybe someday before I die, I can attend both without having the schedule conflict. Best wishes.

7. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Yeah the old bridge is cool. If you go that way, take a few minutes to drive up to the Mississippi Palisades park and check out the view of the river.

8. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Mick has an amazing show and initially we had to not get on the Rust Revival date. This meant going earlier in May.
    No matter when you do a show - something is gonna get in the way.
    I am sure if you ask around you will find that both are good shows and each are worthy of attending.
    Perhaps you can come up to the Iron Invasion in October?

9. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

wanted to comment on the new torque fest website, it is very well done. Nice job.

10. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

11. A note to all Torquefest swapmeet vendors: please click on this link for set-up times scheduled for this years event.
    http://vintagetorquefest.com/features/swap-meet/

Set-up schedule is: starting Thursday afternoon at 2 PM-on and Friday AM till Noon.

...since this is a new venue for Torquefest and swapmeet space is somewhat limited, especially for big trucks/trailers; I suggest you try to arrive as suggested on the website to help aleviate problems.
    If you have any questions, contact me. Thanks

[email protected]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

thanks for noticing.
    that is what we did in December........
    it was very time consuming - but I think the site looks cool and we have had a lot of positive comments

13. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. Room booked, pre-registered (think I messed up and signed up twice) and volunteering this year. Can't wait. Ready to roll!

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

club volunteered , working on new camper now , getting closer cant wait !

17. Jamoke

Jamoke

When do you think we find out what station were at out of the 3 choices we picked .

18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My whole club signed up too. See you in May

19. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

Yup, both on spotify!

20. Wait.....I could have the Sabula Bridge for free?:eek:
    Damn, that would look sweet out in the field!:cool:

21. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Amazing response this weekend at Chicago World of Wheels. Thanks to all the people that pre registered and volunteered at the event.
    If anyone needs more free Torque Fest posters - we will be at the Detroit Autormama this weekend.

22. Man I made my 1st torquefest last year , great time !! flame thrower show out of site , I'll be there again this year - its on my annual to do list.

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

not sure if I posted it in the past but we have Canada registrations now! And in Detroit this past weekend the response was really positive.
    Sounds like we have another 3 car clubs from Ohio coming out. WOW.
    We appreciate the support guys.
    Overall the weekend went really well and now we are just waiting for the big thaw!

24. It helped that I was there promoting the show also.
    Those guys were like there he is rite there on the video!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Ed - I am surprised you dont take over the entire video - in fact - I think I should give you a camera this year, and just have you go out and film for an hour - we will call it ED TV

26. Wow might have to take you up on that john hahaha you really don't want me video taping it will be all about women maybe that would be cool!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Camping reservations are officially open - if you intend to camp - reservations are a good way to GUARANTEE you get a spot......
    last year was full.
    Even though we have more room this year at the new grounds, based on the pre registration and the proximity of those that are coming from far away, camping reservations may be a good thing to have.
    We do not have anything to do with the camping - it is all the fairgrounds.
    Please call them direct at :
    563-588-1406

28. Dam even the dogs know trailers are for boats!
    Hahaha cant wait til may for my vacation too!

29. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure not trailer trash are ya Ed? Have you figured out how to haul two bikes yet? See you in May

30. I think so my friend tom is trying to take vacation he will carry one and i will have the other
    Will see