Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. saxxon you are already on the right path. i was going to suggest alchy digger on a possible swap.

Saxxon likes this.
  2. Well said Scott. Wheels really are the first thing to get noticed when they don't fit the criteria.

bigslim55 and powrshftr like this.
  3. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I guess I'll just have to miss it. Buying the car cost me enough, I'm already putting more in it. Another granď or so just for a weekend to play is way out of my budget. Beirmans J is way more radical than mine, and it gets to run.

loudbang likes this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

If you sold the existing ones and scored a used set of Americans or Cragars off Craig's list you could do it for less than the cost of gas money...You might even MAKE a couple bucks on the deal!:)

.......Or,you could sit home and read about how awesome it was in Hot Rod,Hot Rod Deluxe,Kustom Rods,Bangshift,and a half dozen other magazines and websites I can't think of right now.:(

Seriously,Man.Its SO worth it!!!!

Scott

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

When you have the time, Post here what size wheels with backspace and bolt pattern you need.

The guys that run this event, and most that attend will help one another to make it authentic.

My guess is after you post here what your looking for, reasonably priced wheels will find you.
    Their is a lot of information shared in these posts.
    Sold my old Weld pro-stars and for a couple hundred more had new correct wheels.
    I agree with Scott, (your old wheels might be worth more than used replacements.) :rolleyes:

We all want to see that car run. :cool:

Norb

loudbang, trailer-Ed and powrshftr like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would screw some moon covers over them and have at it.

Deuced Up! and 55belairx2 like this.
  7. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I thought about that. The rears would be easy. I wonder if they would let that pass?

8. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I do have a pair of polished torque thrust D's I could run on the front for the weekend, then if I put moon discs on rear, I have an old square style snorkel scoop. I'm changing the lettering to my logo. Do you guys think I may get in then? I don't really want to get rid of my Covo Pro's. I personally like them. And want to run them at regular races.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I run the moon covers on my Charger to cover the Weld Draglites

fast30coupe likes this.
  10. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

looks like with a few realatively easy changes, they may just accept my car!! Fingers crossed.

11. 62Furious

62Furious

Wheels would be easy, it is the hood scoop that may be a chalange

12. The Mopar, and snorkel scoops showed up in the early-mid 70's, and your rear wing is gonna be a problem too. Your Henry J is bitchen, but the MDA, wants this event to feel like a time warp to 1966, and your car, with the slammed front end, Pro Stock style scoop, huge rear tires, wing etc. is pretty far off the radar. I'm not trying to slam you, just pointing out the obvious. If they don't let
    your car in, don't take it personal, come any way and hang out..

powrshftr and II FUNNY like this.
  13. bigslim55

bigslim55

Got a lot done on car this weekend. The header wrap that was on headers was falling apart & headers were getting rusty under wrap so I had them sand blasted & powder coated. For most part turned out good. Couple sags but look a hundred times better than they did...!
    Used some Prep-All & paint brush & scrubbed the frame & floor of car! Had quiet a bit of grease & grime under there...!
    I had entertained thoughts of changing from Econoline axle to a tube axle in the front but think that's going to be on the back burner for now or at least moment... Found the drag link rod end was worn & pass side king pin you could rock it & move it up & down about 1/8"... I also found the hard sleeved spring bushing was in the wrong end of leaf spring... I thought something was wrong when I put a wrench on rod end jamb nut to break it loose & leaf spring & axle moved! I'm like WTF that's not right...! So I'm hoping all that is why it get so squirrelly on the top end when I'd get above 80mph...!
    So I everything apart on front end, I had it all powder coated... Springs, axle, spindles, rotors, shackles, u-bolts.. Plus had fan, pulleys & alt bracket done too! Ordered king pin kit & spring bushings from Rockauto... Thought it was odd the bushings were AC-Delco.... I got new poly bushings for front shackles too. Got the springs, axle & spindles assembled & put back in... Its fricken sweet now! Nice & tight no movement like before.... And powder coat makes the stuff look like new!
    Just have to get new rod end! I took it to hardware store, found the hole is 5/8" & the threaded part is 11/16" I think? 3/4" nut was too big & 5/8" nut too small... They didn't have a 11/16" nut to try!
    Heading to bed feel like I got my ass kicked, sore as hell, going to put some Cryo-derm on my back, arms shoulders... LOL... Jimbo... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453691895.370508.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453691909.152571.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453691923.819217.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453691936.353707.jpg

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good job man but you should have went ahead and drilled that axle when you had it out.

15. bigslim55

bigslim55

Thanks Jim, I had thought about drilling it. But I'm pretty limited on garage space... I can walk down one side of car. Just a small, Unheated, one car garage to work out of... Got a small inferred heater I got at Menards, takes the chill out of garage... But anyway prob could of bolted down a drill press on bench but then loose that space... There's lots of things I'd like to do to car, but I'm limited by what space I have. Wish I had a wire feed welder & torches too, but I feel pretty good on what I've been able to get accomplished on car for what I have to work with or out of...!

Dog_Patch, loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  16. 62Furious

62Furious

Looks good Jimbo. There is nothing worse than getting to the top end and feeling loose, or stopping hard and shooting off to one side or the other.

I thought that my shop was small, but a one car garage you must feel like a contortionist with that little of space

powrshftr likes this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh baby...my carbs are done...picked them up this weekend. Two extremely massaged 750 E85s units. They look old school Holley but they have adjustable bleeds, Teflon coated throttle shafts and boost referenced power valves. We are getting close to firing this crazy %@$&#!

20160123_204015.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    bigslim55, Tudor, Dog_Patch and 4 others like this.
  18. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Well I've decided if my Henry J won't get accepted, I may just take my Anglia. Just not sure if I want to out it on the track though. 20160124_144939.jpg 20160124_145002.jpg 20160124_144955.jpg

19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

that Anglia is sweet, what in the world would keep you from running it down the track?
    in reality, nobody cares what it runs. just have fun with it !!

30dodgeboy and trailer-Ed like this.
  20. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

It's a bit squirrely. I hate the thought of anything happening to it while on the track. Whereas the Henry j is fully set up to race. I tried to send pics of the Anglia to meltdown registration, but my emails keep getting kicked back.

21. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

22. trailer-Ed likes this.
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No question on the Anglia (awesome car). I have not heard but the Meltdowns may be in waiting list mode...This is certainly the thread to find out. I am excited to see either of your cars.

24. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Looking good. On my axle just predrilled some holes and used a hole saw on my cordless drill. The axle didn't set up too well on my drill press and said screw it and did it by hand. I ended up using a 7/8" holesaw. Then cleaned it up with a rotary file on my die grinder.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 62Furious

62Furious

The Anglia is very cool, Byron is a well maintained and sticky track. I don't think you have to worry about getting loose on the get go. It's hang on at the top end.

loudbang and trailer-Ed like this.
  26. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Did I see this thing on craigslist yesterday?

loudbang likes this.
  27. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Yes. He has another one for sale too. Great price on it too. I just couldn't buy both.

28. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I'm cornfused...which car is on Craigslist??? Cuz if it's the Anglia I'm interested!

powrshftr likes this.
  29. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

He had this Anglia and another. Priced right. Message me for info.

30. bigslim55

bigslim55

No sh•t Bob, yeah the old sphincter starts puckering when it wants to dart left then right, it gets a lil hairy... I think the old RF tire bouncing like basketball didn't help things! Racer-x said have front tires road force balanced & found they were F'D up! Ended up getting new tires... Then when I seen the RF King pin had all that play in it when I pulled it apart, I'm like it had to be that F'D up tire!
    Think garage is 22'x10... And the old 55' takes up a lot of space... But it Beats trying to work on it in the elements, cardboard on the floor helps a lot too! Plus having a understanding girlfriend helps a ton!!!!! LOL...
    Jimbo

loudbang likes this.