Register now to get rid of these ads!

Offenhauser Flatty Head question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arvonian, Jul 5, 2013.

1. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Alright, this might be a dumb question....

I've had these heads kicking around the shop for a looooong time, and funny, I had never noticed the position of the water outlets. Looking at the current offerings, the water outlet is parallel with the mounting surface, mine are cast at an angle....
    I'm wondering if there is any functional reason for this? is it just that these heads are an older design?
    Inquiring minds would sure like to know!!

Attached Files:

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I bought a pair of OFFY heads like that in 1964 along with a Weber alum flywheel and an OFFY 4 carb intake. Paid $5 for all and ran them for a few years in my 40. They were marine heads and also had the correct OFFY thermostat housings that made the hoses run correctly. The thermostat housing are still available, I think. Here's an old 1978 photo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. Not to high jack your thread, but that picture of the 40 was the day I came home from the hospital. I was 3 days old tk

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. arvonian

arvonian
    from Virginia

Sounds like these are marine heads eh? I've got a correct t'stat hsg. that I got from Flathead Jack's, I'm pretty sure they're still available...
    BTW, these are 375's which I haven't seen available anywhere.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As I recall, mine were 375's also.