Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic - looking for an airbrush for a beginner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63ChevyII, Sep 25, 2006.

1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

2. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Iwata Eclipse. Buy it as a beginner and use it forever. They're really light and easy to use. They'll set you back about $135. If your budget won't allow that much, try a Paasche VLS. A little heavier but still pretty good unit.

Either way; do yourself a favor and loose those glass jars that come with the airbrush. I adapted a standard 35MM film canister lid to my airbrush. Then I went to my local 60 minute photo shop and sweet talked the girl behind the counter to save all their film containers for me. I use to go there about once a month to pick up a trash bag FULL of canisters and lids. These are now throw-away paint cups. And they're FREEEEEEEE!!!!

I have used both Kodak and Fuji and I gotta say, I like the Fuji more. With the translucent white containers, you can more easily see how much paint you have as you go.

[​IMG]

Vance

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Vance is correct.....or an Iwata hp....

4. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

6. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

like the gentlemen before said iwata..i love mine it's the best. IMHO way better than the paasche that i have.

_T

7. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

9. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

As said ..I personally find Paasche..big and cumbersome.....but a good brush none the less.

11. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/

I have used their airbrushes for 20 years, I have 3, I would start with one of theirs, made in the U.S.A.. Go to a hobby store and check out what they recommend or have to show you.

Don't buy your first one without some knowledge of airbushes in general.

12. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

13. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

14. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

DueceDog is right. Go get a feel for them first. If you have smaller hands, a Paasch VLS might feel like you're holding a telephone pole. If you have bigger hands, the Iwata might feel like you're painting with a tooth pick.

Vance

15. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

will do.

my new roommate is a photographer... I wonder what he's got kickin around

16. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

17. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

Thanks for the input everyone.

what would you recommend for other supplies - masking, etc? I have a bunch of acrylic paint around that I'd thought I'd start with.

18. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I just use what I would use with regular auto urethane. Green 3M tape and any paper I can get my hands on.

Where's Tingler during all this airbrush talk?

Vance

19. Gigantor

Gigantor

As long as you invest in a dual action brush, almost anything out there is a good beginner brush - but I'd spring for an Iwata. You won't go through the frustrating "i hate this!" phase I went through with my single action badger.
    As far as additional materials go - a few simple templates work wonders for freehand artwork. You can buy them or make them yourself out of thin cardboard or flat plastic in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Paper works great for masking, but some more advance surfaces (like bulbous curves) I'd use frisket - it comes in a roll and is not exactly cheap.
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS clean your brush well after each use - it will last a lifetime.

20. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Hey, speaking of frisket. I use to do a lot of stecil work with the vinyl sign style white stencil vinyl. I use to buy a 50'X15" roll for like $25 and that thing lasted quite a while. It's orginal use was for temporary outdoor signage, (it had a six month warrantee), which means it's got very light tack on the adhesive. This stuff stretches pretty nice when it's warmed up from sitting in the sun too.

Vance

21. OLLIN

OLLIN

That fuji film container idea is awesome!
    I have a badger and a paasche, I prefer the paasche. Its kinda like a nice big fountain pen.
    FYI- I have seen some dudes just unscrew the back of it and use it like that, then its less bulky

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

actually no one has even brought up the compressor! I havent airbrushed in years, but thats gotta be pretty important too! you want something smooth...

23. slacker91

slacker91
    from Emmaus, PA

i just started airbrushing, so keep that in mind, and listen to these guys. when i talked to Tingler to get some ideas, he recomended a Paasche, now, i have no other experience other than a single action harbor freight one, but i havent hit that "i hate this" part like brush said, so id recomend it too

24. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

The key there is anything with a tank. Those little air 'pumps' are the worst. It's like spitting paint, litterally.

Vance

25. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm hiding, because I'm truely old school. I suck the paint up through a straw into my mouth and exhale thus spraying the paint onto the shirt or canvas.

Its the way our ancestors painted shit on the walls of caves.

Its good enough for me.

Seriously, I'm still using the Paasche VL's.....so I might as well be a caveman.

I use Createx paint a bunch. Also use Golden Fluid acrylics mixed with thier airbrush medium.

Hope that helps.

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

SINGLE ACTION!?!?!?!

Dammit, I told you to get a double action.

Kids...they never listen. :D :D

27. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

You may also want to start off with a water based paint for easier cleanup just to get used to it. You can practice for cheap and move up to automotive paint when you are ready.

Dave

28. slacker91

slacker91
    from Emmaus, PA

dammit i did get a double action!!! my dad got me the 5.99 harbor frieght special a long time ago, only time ive ever used it is to to fix up a freinds hit and run, i sprayed white 1shot over bondo that i did at like, 2 in the morning! haha

29. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

thanks for the help everyone. i do already have a cheap single action brush that I used with one fo the air pump setup. i eventually figured out that i needed a tank for it to work(after getting to the i hate this, how can anyone use this crap), but still wasn't happy with the setup.

I'm hoping a dual action will be better.

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member