Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic computer question

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 11, 2023.

1. I'll admit I am not a computer wizz but I have a problem I hope someone can give me some guidance.

I was trying to reply to a question this morning and realized that number five or six keys don't work, is it time to replace my laptop or is there some simple fix? HRP

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

jnaki and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  3. Laptop, thanks Cob I'll try the compressed air. HRP

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  4. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Is it a situation to possibly to spell out the numbers ?

5. It’s AI! Alexa realizes the time frame of this site and is preventing u from entering 65. From now on if you want to disparage RR’s you should type Mouse Poles. ;):)

6. Danny,

I also have issues with the keyboard on my laptop & Cobbie's suggestion of compressed air may indeed work. If not I believe you can remove the keypad (computer off) via a little slot in the center top (above the 8 & 9 keys. You can stick a small flat screwdriver in that slot & pop the keypad out...Again I believe this to be true, but have never tried it. I prefer to just cuss every time it F*cks up! LOL

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The laptop keyboard is pretty indestructible. But, if lazy fingers tend to rest on the certain keys, then those might be faulty. If you use a mouse and it rests absent mindedly on several keys, it puts pressure on the keys. So, remind your self to move the mouse back to the smooth surface.

The laptop I have gives me a good flat surface to use my mouse. The finger on the center pad is useless. The mouse is more accurate. But, as good as my current laptop is, the next one is not going to have a numeric pad and keys. So, I will have a larger mouse area.

Jnaki

When you use the compressed air can, shake it up and give a squirt away from everything. There is moisture inside and you certainly don't want to let that creep into the metal parts, unseen. But, laptops are now so inexpensive from just about any brand. Don't sweat it if you cannot press on those keys. If you have a "num lock" key, press that to see if it does not help. Or just use the keypad area for those numbers.

I have not used that % or ^ key for quite some time. The numbers work fine, but there are alternatives. YRMV

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been my experience that when 2 keys next to each other stop working, there's a Frito crumb in the keyboard...(I eat a lot of Fritos):p

9. Slopok

Slopok

Remember it's a '65 cut off site! ;):eek::rolleyes:
    You can use your garage air compressor with a small air blow gun.

10. Compressed air didn't work, as a last resort I do have a hamb era BFH. HRP

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A friend of ours is a computer guy and works on one everyday. I have no idea what exactly he does, but for him, time is of the essence. So, he has a nice set up in his office. A high performance OLED screen and a powerful desktop unit. The keyboard is a good one, wireless and handy to use across the room or right on his desk. His printer is not the best color all in one printer. I asked why many years ago.

His idea is that the keyboards and printers are so plentiful that is something goes wrong, and he has to use his desktop set up, it is less of a hassle to go out and get a simple plug in keyboard or a Bluetooth unit for ease of use. Top brand names like HP and Logitech in this field come to mind. ($10-12.00) Also, a no name Amazon essential version is also $10.00. as the years go by, there are also other brands from the similar cost to up to $200 for a fully functional gaming version. But, they all do the same as far as normal keyboarding skills.

Being a hot rod person, a fixit person or just a computer user, a keyboard is a simple thing necessary to get a job done or write paragraphs for clarity in articles or just type out a nice email letter to a friend or two. the cost is so low that for him, buying a new one is easier than piddling around with the thing taken apart wondering what is what. Time saved is/was his motto.

Jnaki

That was/is all good for him. But the thing my wife and I could not get over was the idea that printers are a throw away item, due to low cost in the latest versions from Canon, HP, Epson, etc. We just bought an all in one color printer, scanner, copier for my wife’s necessities when she is doing computer stuff. Her set up is powerful, has the latest fast and reliable name products built in from a local computer dealer and has worked flawlessly for many years.

But, we use a good HP printer after going through several Epson, other HP and canon printers. It has worked for all necessary printing jobs. As far as color photo prints are concerned, going to a local shop to use the kodak yellow machines or the red color digital color printer machines is a lot less expensive and the prints are much better, think Kodak quality. So, we keep our printing to normal household uses.

Our friend is one of those guys that tells us he has no time to mess around with a printer and for his needs, a low cost $40 dollar simple version works just fine for him. The local stores have plenty of these simple printers on hand. But, he is a recycling fanatic, so all products go to the center for take apart safely and no pollution goes into the ground or dump where it should not be…

Note:

It is a good thing that in our area of the “woods,” there is an electronic recycling drop off place that is free and easy. Anything with an electric soldered board and wiring is accepted for disposal and recycling. From speakers to electric toothbrushes…

Note 2:
    He also uses his laptop as it allows him to wander around to various places and still gets some work done. In his van, at the beach, in his home office and other places when he needs to get something done away from home. His laptop used to be the top name, highest speed, largest screen and more power with added accessories. It was a walking desktop in build and power.

But, these days, if his laptop goes out, it is replaceable for minimal cost to get the computer job done. He likes to tinker around with home projects, if and when he has time. For him, the low cost laptops are a necessary item for his computer skills. "Time is of the essence... " YRMV

12. I have solved the problem, I tried everything you guys suggested but in the end the suggestion to replace the laptop won out. :)

The irony of it all is we have to immerse ourselves in technology to access & enjoy the simplicity of traditional Hot Rods and Customs. HRP

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-12-6_2-37-35.png @HOTRODPRIMER

Hello,

Good for you. These days, laptops are built well if you stick to the top name brands, Dell, HP, etc. The features are from simple to super fast with custom builds. Or, you can pick and choose any speed, any hard drive and extras.

Most use their laptops for E mails, writing journals, read the news and check the internet for “Stuff.” If it is handy, it becomes a modern dictionary or encyclopedia for facts. Some actually do artwork on the provided programs.

Jnaki

The good thing is that with these pre-winter, holiday months, the cost of a good, fast, reliable laptop are the latest thing, starting with the holiday Friday sales. Until the 25th and even afterwards, there are sales to get the old/new laptops off of the shelves. If all you are doing is looking at the internet, an inexpensive Chromebook is enough to keep you happy, or your kids involved.

If you want some speed, stay with the Intel I5 or I7 programs. Not everyone needs the fastest I9 program to be functional. It is costly, more so than what is already in place and on the shelves or online, pre built. As for hard drives, the larger it is, for most, the better. But, as it gets filled up, the slower your laptop becomes, as part of the daily working parts.

There are some larger laptops in the 16-17 inch range, that are super low in price. So, keep an eye on those. The screen pixels also have a say so on eye strain and photo adjusting. So, they are out there and for the cost of a 13 inch version, the 16-17 inch versions are much larger and better for viewing the whole picture.

If you have a choice, an Intel I7 program, 17 inch high pixel screen and at least a 500 gb hard drive will do for the majority of the computer users out there. The other extra parts are like building a hot rod. It is fun to add things as a build goes along, but there is a cost to have them on the featured product, a laptop, for daily use. You will be happy for the next several years or as the work you do on the newly purchased computer.

Note:

My wife and I both have small tablets for reading. It seems simple to hold and read the print in all sizes of fonts. These tablets are good and sometimes they, too go batty for some reason or other. It is not the best thing to do to open them up to see what is what. too costly and not worth the effort.

So, I got a new tablet and it does the job with faster boot up speeds and clearer screen images with it being a new upgraded product. They are computers, just like the desktops and laptops, only in smaller sizes for a paperback book experience. You can see the internet, but in a smaller size.

If your day is the HAMB on a phone, then a tablet is so much larger and clearer. But, a 16-17 inch laptop is pretty much the gold standard for portability and quality viewing experiences. I had a 30 inch desktop monitor and larger is not the better in screen size, plus computing experiences. YRMV

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. You joined a traditional hot rod site to help with a problem that has already been resolved, but thank you anyway. HRP