Register now to get rid of these ads!

off topic car but a body question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jay, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jay

jay

My oldest daughter backed her 95 mustang into a truck...the rear quarter has a pretty good dent in it so i thought that i would practice a little on her car before working on either the 56 or the 38...

I have discovered that the metal on this mustang is really thin compared to my other two cars...i bought a copy of the key to metal bumping by Frank T Sargent and was trying to see how to flatten out ridges and valleys and leave a really nice metal finish to put paint on..

I am probably hitting the metal wrong but when i get one area close i have alot of little low spots..so i have gone back trying to pick them up..i either get a pimple...or i'll raise a little mound...then when i hammer them back flat i have a bunch of little low and high spots....i have tried hitting softer...but the metal is following the same pattern...

when you are trying to pick the low spots up do you start working them from the outside of the low spot and working in toward the middle ...(this is what i have been doing) or do you start in the middle of the low spot??

I'm still new at this body stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got a good hammer and dolly? not the harbour freight ones... real ones.

without seeing the dent it is hard to say how to fix it. read the metal bumping book 3 times.. it will take a bit to figure out what they are talking about.

when you feel for dents or ripples go back and forth,,, as in whatever way your fingers are pointing, rather than up and down. feel with your fingers not your palms.

work the dent from the reverse of the point of impact... start where it ended and end where it started

if there are creases that is where the metal has stretched excessivly. many times if you work the creases the rest will fall back into place. metal has a memory of what shape it used to be...

that's about it without seing the dent. the metal bumping book is a good start.

3. jay

jay

I borrowed some hammers and dollys from a friend of mine they say china on them...let me guess bad move

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but a unibody car requires additional consideration. Did the quarter buckle because the rear was pushed forward? If so, you'll need to pull the rear panel and rail back into position or the quarter will, in effect, be too long for the space it goes in, hence the waves. My bet is that one side of the car is shorter than the other. It really takes very little impact to do that kind of damage.