Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Of course I got a run in it.......now what??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by statesblue, Jul 10, 2017.

1. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

So today was the day I decided to paint the roadster body. I've been at this project a little over two years and finally paint.
    Everything was fine until the last coat....damn!!
    I'm using Limco single stage because I'm just not a fan of the plastic look of base coat clear coat on an old hot rod.
    I'm a self taught painter and Id like to think I do a pretty fair job but its been about fifteen years since my last paint job. Back then I was using Centari Acrylic Enamel with really good results. Even sanding and buffing it was no problem.
    Now I'm wanting to know, can I treat this paint the same way figuring I will wait a couple weeks to let the runs dry well and run my nibbler over the runs to get it smoothed then block sand it and buff. Will this work?? Or is there something else Id have to do?? I'd hate to have to repaint the quarter because I'm not sure where Id break it and I'm told spotting it in would be a chore to get good results.
    Any pros on here who can give an old guy some direction? Basically, how do I do it??

2. squirrel

squirrel

The picture didn't come through.

(if it's one that only you will see, you can leave it alone. If it's a big one....someone will have experience with something similar. I have no idea, myself)

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. BJR

BJR

Did you put catalyst in the paint? If so yes wait a few days and sand and buff. If it was metallic paint you can get it smooth, but the run will still show in the metallic.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, color matters a little. Let it get hard then have at it. Wait, that sounds like a double, uh, nevermind. Check it with your thumbnail in about 3 days, see how deep you can mark it now then in 3 days you'll know how hard it is. Once it's fairly resilient you can file it down and then sand easy, buff it out. BTW it's not a run, it's a flow check...;)

6. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Its a solid color...Washington Blue

7. oldolds

oldolds

Leave it there. Tell everyone you paid extra for a custom paint job. :eek:

TailDrag and Texas Webb like this.
  8. inthweedz

inthweedz

As others have said, let it harden off, then I myself would get a rubbing block and 1000 grit wet and dry, add some dish washing soap to some water (aids in lubricating the surface while rubbing, so the paper don't stick) and wet sand it back, when rubbed flat, being a solid colour, a good compound and polish should be all that's needed..

flatford39 likes this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

That is exactly how I do it.

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Runs (flow checks) do shrink a fair amount on their own.
    I'd let it shrink before sanding and buffing.
    Also if the run is tall you will sand through different colored layers of material that may show especially after buffing.

TailDrag and henryj1951 like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Razor blades, they aint just for cocaine. Use the kind for a safety razor as they are flexible. Pull the blade across the run, don't push it and try to "cut" the run. You use the blade to shave the run until the blade is hitting the flat paint. then wet sand and polish. I've done it many times...unfortunately.

12. metalman

metalman

I'm going to add to the razor blade trick. Before scrapping the paint I run the corners off on a piece of sandpaper. Lot less chance of digging into the paint, those corners will dig in and cut the paint if your not careful. I assume the nibbler you got is one of those little files they sell just for this? If so, go ahead and use it instead, I'm just cheap and never bought one, been using blades long before they made tools to cut out runs. Besides, I hardly ever have runso_O. (I wish).

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you don't get any runs, you didn't put on enough paint.

14. Be really careful with those little files.....they are really aggressive. Easy to go too far...

15. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Take it slow and don't get in a hurry. Check it often with a squeegee. You only get one chance. Jim

16. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

OK Iv never tried this my self I think I saw it on you youtube a bloke from Australia showed a big run He toke a tube of glazing putty smeard over the run let it dry then wet sanded tell all the glazing putty was gone no more run. Paints wet sanded and ready to buff this aliments burn thru

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Kan Kustom and Hnstray like this.
  17. Pretty sure I know what you're saying here.

Yes, it works too. You use catalyst spot putty, and just wipe it across the run so you just see it , then kinda taper it out .
    Stay right on top of the run until it's gone, and you shouldn't have too much putty to clean up.
    Razor blades work well on a convex surface. I just dull the corners on my wire wheel.
    Don't ask how I know all this.:(

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

That paint is THIN , one run, i'd say ya done GOOD.

21. I have been painting cars (VERY armature) for 30 years and run every one of them. No problem. Make yourself a 'cabinet scraper' from a single edge razor blade as mentioned above. A bit of careful scraping, color sanding and you have a show paint job. This really works, give it a try. Kinda fun!

The first thing you need to do is 'roll' the edge of the blade to give a hooked edge. I rub it at an angle across a paint can opener.
    [​IMG]

Next bend the blade as shown with the rolled edge to the outside of the bend.
    [​IMG]

Now gently drag the scraper over the drip 'til it is level with the surrounding paint. The curve prevents the blade tips from digging into the paint and also concentrates the cutting action to the drip sparing the surrounding paint. Once the drip is gone car is ready for final color sand and polish.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Lone Star Mopar and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Put a thin coat of glaze on it and block sand and buff.

23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

x3. Had a drape on my firewall and used this trick a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, mine was with a metallic, but was small and won't normally be seen.

24. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

love the idea with the spot putty, that would work amazing !!! ive painted for 35 yrs and never tried that, thats cool

25. I like how you think!!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I went ahead and ordered the run razor and the little aluminum blocks for smoothing them out. :D

Also ordered some good tack cloths. :cool:

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Let's see some pictures of that paint job :cool:

28. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

What kind of glaze are we talking about here?? I do like that razor blade bending technique.

29. See post 17.. Not too far above^^^

30. Good ideas about the razor blade and the glazing putty...

I always hate the little phrase "just one more coat". :oops::)