Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oddball Gassers, Altereds and Streetfreaks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Took the words right out of my mouth, some people should do a little studying before they become "the last word".

2. The 64 Hemi Honker was a Super Stock car, and the the 65 car with the turbos was an A/FX car, not a gasser

3. The Mallicoat's only ran that first Turbo car for a short time in 1965. They came back in 1968 with a Barracuda that was blown but eventually changed it to a Turbo as well, before leaving Gasser's for the Pro Comp class before retiring in 1981. Ohio George was probably the next to run a turbo, in 1971. The thing dominated and the NHRA saddled it with a .50 second index penalty. Then in 1975 they banned them all together. There were still only a couple running. So while they do have some history, the turbo's are really a bit of a footnote and most folks would probably not consider them period correct (even though there were a couple)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. metalshapes

metalshapes

But they would be very appropriate for a '70s style Streetfreak, like the Accel draw through setup on my O/T '73 Capri.

I also have a Ak Miller turbo'd 2 litre Pinto engine that looks like it came out of a Pangra Pinto ( also too new for the HAMB ), that will go into road track racer I have ( right now I'm collecting parts to do the swap )

5. Yep, but he asked about a straight axle "Gasser" :D
    And Ak sold a lot of those kits like the Pangra had. I went and talked to him in 73 about one for my Pinto, couldn't afford it, but he did show me how to put a Celica 5 speed in it.

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Many of these cars were fun to watch race but really scary to drive.

The fat fender cars got really light at the end of a 1/4 mile run with all that air getting under those big fenders.

I loved all and thanks to everyone who posted.

Sure brings back many great old memories from the good old days.

Jimbo

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

HRD, I think we are pretty much saying the same thing...

Even with period correct parts its going to be a little too new.
    Except for some pioneering cars it wasn't exactly common.

And since he is running an intercooler, its too modern anyway.

8. yeah im aware of which classes the hemi honkers ran in the person i was answering just asked about IF turbos were o/t in early drag racing ...so i gave him an example is all

9. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

the pictures only give this ride a partial view of the craftsmanship that jim put into this project. this has to be seen inperson to get the full picture.

10. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

a '46 willys cj2a im putting together with left over parts from past projects, along with the body that i got for free

Attached Files:

11. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

here is on that hasnt been posted yet. grove brothers A/G hemi opel get to see it once and awhile. been trying to buy it but no luck.

Attached Files:

12. SOLO

SOLO

Here's a couple of cars I dig.

Attached Files:

13. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

a few more. really like the barb hamilton willys

Attached Files:

14. Hardhatz

Hardhatz

Any more information about this particular car?....

[​IMG]

15. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

When I was younger a guy in town had a new 65 must first thing...... put in a straght axel, it was a bad dude, new car I wish there was a pic some where he was from st paul and his name was Jon was a cool cool car

16. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

55' altered wheelbase Stude, 430 buick, turbo 400. What the heck do you call it gasser altered or freak, or all of the above. Gonna try to get some pictures posted tonight.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  17. Citroen CV4

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

2CV, the CV4 was a Renault.

( 2 Horsepower or 4 Horsepower, because that how the road tax in France worked )

19. Oops, Google was wrong!

20. AMEN! I remember seeing that car with the turbos,I think twas on the cover of....I don't recall...but WAAAAY ahead of their time!

21. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Altered, gasser, freak or all 3? Couldn't stand the way this Stude looked before the wheelbase change, almost looks normal now. By the way, some really cool old pics on this thread, thanks to all. Yes thats the same car in both colors.

Attached Files:

22. I liked the old paint better.

23. knotttty

knotttty

I love this car.... thats just mean looking..

exterminator likes this.
  24. 60 ford

60 ford

That 57 is sweet

25. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Awesome cover from the July '66 PHR. Car is a '57 Corvette.

[​IMG]

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I love the Strictnine car! All I can hear is

"Hey honey lets go and get some Kentucky Fried Chicken and a 6 pack. The weekend is here!"

Love that there is no car seat! Kid sitting right on mom`s lap!
    J

27. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Made it through al 27 pages, but there was one thing I haven't seen yet: Has anyone built a gasser from a late-50s Opel Kadett? The one that looks like a shrunken '55 Chevy. I've been wanting to build a model of one starting with the old Hubley kit.

28. killer-D

killer-D

I know where there is an Alfa body for sale CHEAP!!! and a nice opel kadette

29. Heres a couple of my buds Altered Wagon theyre building. Its just out of the booth and now they're bolting in the speed and chrome parts!

[​IMG]

Plans call for a big block MOPAR

-Shiny

30. jangleguy

jangleguy

Agreed. I'm a bit biased though.
    Scotty