Register now to get rid of these ads!

odd 41 ford caps ...info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evil1, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I picked up these 41 Ford caps and was wondering what is up with the odd logo.. any info would be great...

[​IMG]

2. metal man

metal man

Aftermarket caps with no FOMOCO licensing ? Maybe they made them as close as they could legally ?

3. I think metal man said it right. Some company(s) used to produce aftermarket
    caps with some script that was supposed to look like original at a glance. Hopefully
    they were cheaper than originals. Make for interesting "what-nots" nowadays.

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yep - cheap "knock-offs" (no pun intended) of the OEM Caps....paying for licensing from FORD is pricey, Acme Rocket Skate and Hubcap Factory can turn those out for a fraction of what guys like Drake pay for permission to make the proper caps.

5. shotrod

shotrod

i think they're cool,where ya get them

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have some for a 49-50 Chevy hubcaps with no bowtie, just like a 1x4" rectangle in the center.

I have seen them for earlier Chevrolets as well.

1940 Ford caps say "the deluxe" rather than Ford deluxe, and I've seen others with just squares where there might be a name

7. fordor41

fordor41

I worked on an old Ford in the '50's and we got some caps that "sort of" said Ford until you looked at them close

8. 30 years or so ago i used to regularly see model T hubcaps that said FOOL in a similar script. at first glance looked like ford, seems to be much the same just for a different age of cars.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Those are "Pep Boys" specials. They had them back in the mid to late fifties.

10. Great info thanks guys!

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That IS the coolest set of GYPO hubcaps I've ever seen with Ford logos made of Ford script Fs opposing each other inverted and Hooter's nipples in the middle. Love 'em.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I had a set of '41 caps a few years ago with a French curve image instead of the "Ford". Exactly like the Reg Schlemmer roadster wore in the late '40's. Sold the set on Ebay for big bucks.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think that they are very desirable caps. All you need is the cash for a set of modern licensed repros. I think that they were originally from Argentina. They were made not for restorations but merely replacement caps for old cars. In the old days Argentina was like Cuba today with lots of old cars being saved just for transportation. The first repro parts were frowned upon because of their poor quality. The grills were merely hole fillers that resembled the original grill. I had a buddy that was very proud of his early repro 48 Ford caps with just 4 slanted rectangles for the letters. 50 footers:D

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've got at least one on a model T cap so the "Fool"ers have been around a long time!

15. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Looks like your a "tool" rather than a "fool" with the ones pictured!!!

16. Weasel

Weasel

Arabic cursive script Ford hubcaps - hmmm....;)

17. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

My grandfather's '34 Chevy had at least two caps with a parallelogram instead of a bowtie. That was in the mid '40s.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Total Performance ran into some heat years ago because they had "Ford" in script across the tailgates of their T bucket kits, Ford doesn't like anyone using their logo regardless of how old the part is. So Mickey simply started embossing "Total" on the tailgate, but he did it in script that is exactly like Ford used, so at first glance you don't even notice that is doesn't read "Ford." :D

Don

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Those are cool. I'd love to find some nice old stock ones that say "fool"

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

aren't those the famous FOOF caps?

21. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Had some from a Model A that said fool, script kinda looked like those. Didn't have to pay Ford then.

22. jimbousman

jimbousman

Tommy's right. These guys are not only cool as hell, they are very rare. Guys like Western Auto and Warshowski sold ton of the nock-offs back in the '50 and '60's. Anybody can buy geni rebops but nobody has these guys. If I wasn't restoring my '41 SD, I'd try to score those of you.

23. :D i might sell them for the right price ...

24. I remember looking at JCWhitney catalogs from the 60's and 70's where they'd have hubcaps for everything, Even from the drawings of them you could tell there was no name and sometimes the stamping wasn't as crisp or deep as the original. I remember seeing them on cars too, they'd be rusty after a Detroit winter when the originals were made of stainless.

25. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I like em , course i like rough sex too.
    B.B.
    HOW MUCH ???? (caps)

26. Not sure what to ask for them i kinda like them i just dont have anything to run them on..They do look cool hanging on the wall

27. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Back in the 60's we would find Mode"A" hub caps that had "FOOe" on them. They made the "e" look like a "d".

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have a catalog with those...from memory I think Badger brand.

29. can you scan the page and send it to me? or post it on here

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Will see if I can find it. They had similar slightly altered caps for other brands too, along with radiator caps and such. The version of scripts on the A Model caps looks more like "Bool"...