Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2017 Banger Meet - Not Frightening***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HADDA HAT like that but I cut off the white bill. Now it doesn't blow off my bald head.

T-5s are fine. If you can find one with the van shifter it eliminated the gearshift location problem. I had to go to a T-O/D in a couple projects that had lottsa torque. I still think my favorite gearboxes are Volvo w/overdrive. Like a hot knife thru butter

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  2. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

You mean the M40? I'm working on (with more than a little help from a Hamber) fitting an A torque tube to the back of on.
    Great boxes. Look old and act new.

Dannerr likes this.
  3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The M-40 is OK as long as it had a "J overdrive" I really like the later M-45 it's easier to swing the remote shifter to "over the center" of the gearbox. Best of the earlier style are from P1800 M-40... first is taller and the rest closer ratios. I know the entire range will take 200+ HP but won't take a ton-0-torque.
    I take all the "lockouts" off but don't ever try O/D in reverse. I've old shift knobs with built in toggles also have used an extra dimmer switch on the floor to make the in/out O/D shifts and a small indicator light from NAPA to remind me the O/D is on.....

Dannerr, Old Dawg and ROCKER77 like this.
  4. Jim,
    A Volvo M-45 is what our mutual buddy, Jan, has in his so called Frontenac 1923 Indy Car. With that alloy five main Model T Block, with the DOHC cylinder head; I hear tell that the engine dyno's at much more than 200 H.P. He's retired that car, in that his wife bought him a "Bug" 35B and a post war Alta G.P. car.

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I love the way the T-5 makes my car drive! makes it a lot more fun bombing around town and allows me to drive a bit more comfortable out of town. I cruise easily about 55 with a mostly stock A motor.

6. Finally put my latest four banger powered device on the road. Stock '27T coupe on a '28 rolling chassis. 3.27 rear end, Diamond B engine, AF 14.9 head, Burns manifold, cast exhaust and a single 94. Runs along pretty well. Well, it did till I popped the head gasket at the weekend... To be honest though - I'd re-used the old one just to see if the engine ran OK. Which it did.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, Dannerr, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  7. I'm late but I'm here...

8. That's what I am doing wrong, I will tell My Wife it is customary to buy the Husband new Toys..........

Stay tuned, this could be entertaining..

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. I'm here for the free banger giveaway.

tomkelly88 likes this.
  10. CGkidd

CGkidd

11. My speedster has a 5 speed conversion in it also. I love it!! The motor is more of a touring motor than straight stock but nothing radical. I have a drivshaft not a torquetube. With 750 17's I can cruise the interstate about 65-70 mph at 1900-2000 rpms. The car only weighs 1500lbs which helps too. More motor would push my top speed up but 70 is scary enough for me

ghornbostel likes this.
  12. Is it acceptable to list a Banger Powered project here first that I plan to sell off instead of just going direct to our Classified section?
    The Wizzard

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe, I'd like to place a Want ad for Two Dental Drive Dayton wire wheel hubs. Bob

14. Moreover, not to be outdone, the wife bought for herself at auction in Monterey in 2016, the 1921 Stutz Bearcat that Wayne Carini uncovered from a barn!

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John

I'm a Mercer guy..... You must be nuts to drive a Stutz.

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That Stutz is amazingly original . If one had the means to buy it, it would be a great addition to any collection. Especially if you have $600,000.00 to throw around.

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I spent a lot of money and several years trying to make this Stutz as good as my Mercer AND I never let my Blackhawk in the house. I slept next to my Mercer. My guess is I'm the only guy here that has owned and driven both. The Mercer was/is much better and a 4-Banger to boot:rolleyes:

stutz 3:4f.JPG stutz rear.JPG stutz hood up copy.JPG mercer bed..jpg

edfueler, Okie Pete, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't had much time of late for the T, been working on some other things. Hit up an auction and walked away with a stack of books. All the usual titles such as a couple of copies of Peter Helck's "the Checkered Flag", 1930's Road Racing in America by Joel Finn, a first edition of Mark Dees "The Miller Dynasty", the BRDC "Silver Jubilee" book, and some other random things all from a non-descript and badly organized auction. But back to the actual score, see, one of the copies of the Checkered Flag turned out to be a slip covered 1st edition #17/500 with a few extra scribbles included...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, Dannerr, colinsmithson and 3 others like this.
  19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

What a wonderful find Doug. I have these books in my library too but it took one at a time for many years.
    It takes a long time and sometimes a lot of effort to build a collection. AND sometimes really unusual priorities as observed by outsiders looking in.

Never stop guys.....NEVER

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find books are a lot easier to store right now than cars. Always keeping my eye open for good period literature. So much of what is out there is just rehashes of regurgitations of reprinted stories. Keep trying to go back to the original liars, I mean participants and find their stories. Have built a pretty good collection of adventures written by those who were there. 3 of my favorite books are "Combat" by Barre Lyndon (racing MG's in the early 30's; "Wheelspin" by C.A.N. May (trialing MG's in the 30's), and "10 Years of Motors and Motor Racing" by Charles Jarrot. "10 years" is bonkers, talks about breaking the frame on his Napier, then disassembles the furniture in the hotel room to brace the frame up and then racing the following morning. So many great books out there to find. My most prized book is a copy of Lartigues' "Boyhood Photos", which is a picture album in which all the images are individually done prints glued to each page.

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

All my photos are boyhood since I am still a kid;)

JHPStutz_01 copy.jpg stutz.jpg

22. I have an in progress 27 T on a Model A chassis. I have an issue that you seem to have a good solution to. Yours look stock as it should, my question is, how? What combination did you use? Hood, Rad and Model A fan. On my project I can't drop the Rad because of the overhang of the top tank. I need to drop it 2" so my hood lays down correctly. I'm using a 28-29 Rad so it's the short one and I can see I can modify the top tank and still keep the top hose as it is but if I can avoid that I'd be in better shape. This project is headed for Full Fendered like yours. Still some work to do for sure. It's also the project I've decided to sell off. You can see the height issue in this photo.
    20170909_123018.jpg
    The Wizzard

Okie Pete and tomkelly88 like this.
  23. Yup! Books are what keeps all the B.S. alive to be retold, over and over again! Ya might want to pick up a copy of a funky little life story of a man who "was there" back in the 20's, 30's. 40's and into the 50's. It's "The Bobby the Babe and Me, The Herk Edwards Story" by Earl C. Fabritz (ISBN 0-9627653-3-3)

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

"Wall Smackers" The story of a boy racer and his Uncle

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

20170710_110049.jpg

A friend of mine has the same set up. He used a 28-29 radiator and had it shortened 2" then he shortened the fan blades. It all fits and looks pretty good.

Okie Pete, Dannerr and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  26. Thanks Rocker77. That's a good fit and a good look. For me a core being shortened the needed 2" means a trip to a Comercial Shop. I can do the top tank mod myself if necessary. Looking close as I can at the photo hotrodphil posted shows a single rad support rod. That's T style not A. Kind of hopping Phil used a geni part I can just change to.
    The Wizzard

ROCKER77 likes this.
  27. I had a rad built with a T top tank and an A bottom tank, with the top inlet offset, and a scallop to miss the fan. Then I made the 4-section hood from aluminium - basically T dimension but 3" longer.

Dannerr, Pist-n-Broke and ROCKER77 like this.
  28. Thanks for the info. I had looked at that. I have a T rad I could take apart as well as the A one that's on the car. Looks like you also used A fenders. How did that work with the rear ones?
    The Wizzard

29. This is the one on my Tourer.

1175331_10151864285737329_1271346566_n_zpsbb976f52.JPG

30. Thanks for the photo, helps a bunch. Guess I need to just get on with building a new Rad and move on.

Dannerr likes this.